How much weight can be lost in 5-6 months?

Options
Just asking because I am getting married in late July this year, and I need some motivation...I FUBAR'd the last three days and I need to get back on track...but I wanted to set a realistic goal for late July. How much did you/can you lose in 5-6 months?

Replies

• liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Realistically, you can lose 10 lbs in a month, but that is working HARD and sticking to your diet/exercise like a champ. Aiming for about 6 lbs a month would probably be good and it's a bit easier than aiming for 10.
  • jenwoods87
    jenwoods87 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds then feel off the wagon. Still trying to figure out something different, if it doesn't work I'm going back to protein meal replacements. 10 pounds a month was amazing :)
  • DANCE53
    DANCE53 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    agree with msk3Lcdeicated to the schedule ten pounds a month is possible
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Just asking because I am getting married in late July this year, and I need some motivation...I FUBAR'd the last three days and I need to get back on track...but I wanted to set a realistic goal for late July. How much did you/can you lose in 5-6 months?
    Realistically 1% of your body weight per week (don't forget to compensate for the weight loss per week). Make the calculations, then add it up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Realistically, you can lose 10 lbs in a month, but that is working HARD and sticking to your diet/exercise like a champ. Aiming for about 6 lbs a month would probably be good and it's a bit easier than aiming for 10.
    10lbs a month for a person under 150lbs would be pretty tough.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing a traditional dress that is fitted? If so, you should only plan on losing up to June. You will go for a fitting, then work at maintaining your weight.

There are 4.2 weeks in a month. At 2lbs. a week, you can plan on eight pounds a month. However, most people don't lose consistently. For everyone who tells you they lost ten pounds a month, there is someone else who works just as hard and is happy to lose five pounds a month. How will you react if you don't reach your goals?
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    there are a LOT of factors that would go into that.

Current weight, fitness level, diet, health, body composition...

How much do you weigh?
    How much are you looking to lose?
    How fit are you?

start with that and then you can get a more realistic idea.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    With 87lbs to lose, you can knock off a good amount. I'm down 40lbs in 5 months. It was fast at the beginning but slowed. Just make sure you eat (drastically cutting calories will not get you there faster), and move!
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'd say 6lbs per month so you'd be looking at about 30-40 lbs in 5-6 months. Don't forget weight loss isn't linear - you won't lose exactly the same every week and you may gain sometimes but it will come off in the long in.

Are you just interested in losing weight or toning up as well? Doing something like 30 day shred or ripped in 30 by Jillian Micheals or ChaLean Extreme will help with weight loss but you will lose way more inches, which may actually look better than jus losing the weight on its own.
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Depends on a few factors, including how much you weigh now. I think the most I've ever lost in a month is 5 lbs. however, I don' t think I could have continued that for five months straight.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    With 90lbs to lose and 6 months I'd say 40lbs is probably achievable if you work hard! X
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I lost 56lbs in the first 5 months.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I've lost 45 lbs in 5 months with the guidance of a nutritionist.
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    You can lose what you want in 6 months but it will take hard work and dedication with your food
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    For your purposes, it would be better to focus on losing inches. It's a wedding not a weigh in. :happy: I'd suggest not being too ambitious. The stress of a wedding and extreme calorie deficit could be unpleasant, you don't want to mar such an important life event. Just focus on being healthy. Best wishes. :smile:
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    i'd go for 20
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you start and how far away you are from goal.

I went from 145 lb (Sept) to 112 lb (Dec), so it was about 33 pounds in four months or about 50 in six months if the pattern held.

I am close to goal so I am losing between .5 and 1 lb per week.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    There's no magic number. It depends on YOU and how much work you want to do. If you work hard and stick to a regimen, you *should* be able to lose 20-30
  • Msfre1
    Msfre1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    set a goal of 5-6 lbs a month. if you lose more, GREAT, but at least you will set a realistic (and achievable) goal for yourself.
    Just stick to your calories, sugar, fat and sodium recommendations!

I stepped on the scale today,down 10.1 lbs in the last 75 days (that was including 3 major holidays!!!) I am motivated for the next 75 days!

32202155.png
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I was averaging about 8-10 lbs per month, so you *could* lose around 40-50 lbs. If you stick with healthy eating, portion control and exercise, it could definitely be do-able for you! To avoid a plateau, try to change up your exercise routine every 4-5 workouts. Your body can get used to routine quickly, which results in your body not having to work as hard to burn calories. If you switch up your routine often, it will always keep your body guessing and challenged!

You don't have to restrict yourself and be super strict. Just watch your portions and eat as healthy as you can. Have your favourites and guilty pleasures in moderation and, if you can try to find healthier substitutes for those "not so good for you" foods.

Good luck, and congrats on getting married!