My daughter and Jillian Michaels...

Options
Ok, so if this isn't enough motivation to move ya then I don't know what would. My daughter wanted to work out (she is 8 and on a mission to be healthy along with me :laugh: ) so I told her she could do the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I put it on Level 2 because today is going to be my first day on Level 2 and I wanted to see what to expect :blushing: . That child made it all the way through it, huffing and puffing and said she was hurting. She may not have done all of the workouts exactly right, but she made it through it better than I probably will! This was plenty of motivation for me and I will be doing it as soon as my 1year old goes down for a nap! :bigsmile: Anyway, that is all, I just thought that would be cool to share.

Oh, do you think I should give her some low-fat Chocolate milk to replenish her???

Replies

• FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    that is great she wants to get healthy but again she would need more calories than you will. since her body is still growing. but keep her healthy that is for sure :) but you are doing great and that is motivating :)

that should be a treat for trying at least and doing her best :)
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Little kids are tough,,, :laugh: Easier to do pushups when you weigh 40 pounds.

Is that the li'l one sitting on Dad's lap in the piccie? Cute,,, good for both of you. Ya', she can have some milk.
  • cbullock115
    cbullock115 Posts: 110
    Options
    Little kids are tough,,, :laugh: Easier to do pushups when you weigh 40 pounds.

Is that the li'l one sitting on Dad's lap in the piccie? Cute,,, good for both of you. Ya', she can have some milk.

Yes it is actually :bigsmile: And the reason I was asking about the milk was because I know they say it's a good way to replenish our bodies after a workout and although she didn't do some of the moves perfect, she still worked her butt off so I am thinking we needed to replenish her with some pretein and vitamins.
  • SammyLynn010
    SammyLynn010 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I walked in a Breast Cancer walk a few weeks ago, there were little kids running it!! They did soo good... I was shocked it looked like one of them couldn't have been more than 5 or 6!
  • Soon2beskinny73
    Soon2beskinny73 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Awww how cute :) That is great that she got through it all and it's good that you are teaching her about exercise and healthy habits as a child because it more in likely will stick with her into adulthood!!
  • cbullock115
    Options
    Awww how cute :) That is great that she got through it all and it's good that you are teaching her about exercise and healthy habits as a child because it more in likely will stick with her into adulthood!!

That is my goal, to teach her good healthy habits, not dieting, just good old fashioned exercise and healthy eating.
  • Soon2beskinny73
    Soon2beskinny73 Posts: 255 Member
    Options

That is my goal, to teach her good healthy habits, not dieting, just good old fashioned exercise and healthy eating.

That is awesome :) BTW ...you have beautiful children! Lovely pic of your family. As a preschool teacher I wish parents would take more interest in teaching their children about healthy habits and exercising as you have!!
  • cbullock115
    Options

That is awesome :) BTW ...you have beautiful children! Lovely pic of your family. As a preschool teacher I wish parents would take more interest in teaching their children about healthy habits and exercising as you have!!

Thanks!:drinker:
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I walked in a Breast Cancer walk a few weeks ago, there were little kids running it!! They did soo good... I was shocked it looked like one of them couldn't have been more than 5 or 6!

Yeah I've taken my 6 yr old son with me walking 6 miles once with no complaints from him, whenever we're at the playground I challenge him to race me running about 270 yards (0.15 miles) sprints and he keeps up pretty well.

Kids really have tons of energy, they are metabolic machines at optimal capacity. What stops a kid more often is lack of motivation or willpower over lack of ability.
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options

Yes, yes, yes! I am also a teacher and this is exactly right. So many kids are overweight and obese these days--it's actually shocking to walk into a school and see second graders who can't even jog because they're so out of shape, but it's reality, at least where I teach! Good for you for teaching your kids to take proper care of themselves.
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    My 2 year old does 30DS with me all the time. She always talks through it and asks what I'm doing and I say I'm exercising because it's good for my heart and good for my body. She now tells my family that she exercises because it's good for her heart and good for her body. She does the knees stretches from level 1, tries to do push ups, like to run under me while I'm doing the side lunges. It's hard at times but I think it's such a good example to make your kids a part of this stuff.
    Kids amaze me. We have a huge hill that my cousin and I huff and puff up all the time and her 4 year old runs up it teasing us, "why you goin' so slow??" etc.
    Great work being a great mom!!!
  • vicki9792
    vicki9792 Posts: 31
    Options
    Parents are the best teachers, motivators, and role models for their children. Way to go!!!
  • cbullock115
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the very kind comments!! I try to do everything I can as a parent to teach my children to live a healthy lifestyle so they don't have to struggle like I am now!
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I think that's super great!
    You're right though, our kids can do and last longer through the DVD's better than we can! Can you send her over my way? :laugh:
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I agree. My daughter and Jillian have a personal relationship going on. My eight year old ask me everyday "Mama are you going to the 30 day shred" When I say no you can see the disappointment and the last thing we want to do is disappoint our children so end up doing it anyway and the whole time she say look I am following Anita!!!! My three year old tries but all she does it talk and say mama I can't do that.

On a side note For Mother's day my family took me to our favorite Mexican restuarant. Half way through our meals my 8 year old daughter asked me "Is this food healthy?" I had a taco salad but she had a corn dog and fries and I told her not really then she asked why did I let her order it because it is not healthy. Then I had to explain her that it is okay to eat great 90% of the time and not so great 10% of the time then she asked me about percents.

We are suppose to teach our kids the right way to eat and to make sure exercise is in their lives early because if we don't they are going to look up and they will be 25 doing the same thing we are. I don't know about you guys but I want to spare my kids the weight/health issues. Now if I could get that freaking husband of mind on track!
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I agree. My daughter and Jillian have a personal relationship going on. My eight year old ask me everyday "Mama are you going to the 30 day shred" When I say no you can see the disappointment and the last thing we want to do is disappoint our children so end up doing it anyway and the whole time she say look I am following Anita!!!! My three year old tries but all she does it talk and say mama I can't do that.

On a side note For Mother's day my family took me to our favorite Mexican restuarant. Half way through our meals my 8 year old daughter asked me "Is this food healthy?" I had a taco salad but she had a corn dog and fries and I told her not really then she asked why did I let her order it because it is not healthy. Then I had to explain her that it is okay to eat great 90% of the time and not so great 10% of the time then she asked me about percents.

We are suppose to teach our kids the right way to eat and to make sure exercise is in their lives early because if we don't they are going to look up and they will be 25 doing the same thing we are. I don't know about you guys but I want to spare my kids the weight/health issues. Now if I could get that freaking husband of mind on track!

OMG, my daughter who turns 3 next month does the same thing. It drives me crazy that she says she can't do it. I know she really can't, but I don't want her to think that. I tell her, "you may not be able to right now, but if you practice you can!" Your hubby sounds like mine too :wink:
  • last25
    last25 Posts: 83
    Options
    This was too cute to read :) I love stories of kids working out with their parents. Great motivation indeed. And I say why not to the low fat chocolate milk, she earned it!
  • Mom2Emery_Liam
    Options
    Too cute! You are doing a great thing teaching your children to exercise and eat healthy. Growing up I was always taught to eat healthy but never saw my parents exercise (they are both obese today but finally on track and loosing weight).

Now that I have two boys of my own, I'm trying my hardest to get them to eat healthy (although it's tough since they're picky and huge goldfish/cereal fans!). They also love trying to exercise with me too- the first week or two my oldest (4) was so confused as to why I was doing all this...slowly it became habit and he asks me every day if I'm going to exercise or take them walking.
    Now I've overheard him telling his little brother (2) that certain things aren't healthy...love it!