How much weight can be lost in 5-6 months?

Options

Replies

• Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Feb 7th will be five months for me and to date I've lost 45 pounds. I lost fast at first, and basically nothing in December, and now it seems to be evening out again. But I'm also quite tall and started over 300lbs, so it would come off someone like me faster than someone smaller than me.

Don't set a weight goal, it sets you up to be dissapointed. Set fitness goals. Set something realistic. "By five months from now I want to be so comfortable eating healthy that I'm not worried about a day when I mess up." or something like that.
  • apnovack
    Options
    Just asking because I am getting married in late July this year, and I need some motivation...I FUBAR'd the last three days and I need to get back on track...but I wanted to set a realistic goal for late July. How much did you/can you lose in 5-6 months?
    Realistically 1% of your body weight per week (don't forget to compensate for the weight loss per week). Make the calculations, then add it up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I lost 20lb in 5 months
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming your dress will be strapless or sleeveless, so this doesn't answer you actual question - but make sure you train using weights so even if you don't lose all the weight you want your arms and upper back/chest will look sexy - that could make a huge difference in how you view yourself that day!!
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    I don't have a dress yet...I am 5'5, 250 lbs and with 44% body fat...
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers by the way : )
  • Ladiebug710
    Ladiebug710 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    8-10 lbs a month can be done.
  • bogden78
    bogden78 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    As people have already mentioned, there are a lot of factors that can go into it. I am not quite at 4 months and am down 50lbs today! But I have been working hard and really sticking with my calories. I would think that aiming for 6lbs a month is very doable and if you have a bigger loss then great!!
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Realistically, you can lose 10 lbs in a month, but that is working HARD and sticking to your diet/exercise like a champ. Aiming for about 6 lbs a month would probably be good and it's a bit easier than aiming for 10.
    10lbs a month for a person under 150lbs would be pretty tough.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Yeah, that's why I said she'd have to be like hardcore with it :) lol
  • PaigeAnderson100
    PaigeAnderson100 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I saw other people say that you should be focused on losing inches rather than pounds and I actually agree. I think that doing a 30 day shred video might help in this case. You could realistically lose up to 40 pounds in 5 months but, it could look like so much more with the results from that video.
    I wish you the best of luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I don't have a dress yet...I am 5'5, 250 lbs and with 44% body fat...
    So 1% right now would be 2.5lbs a week which is 10lbs a month in the beginning.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Sumi_Bear
    Options
    I am fat. im young and 310 People Say that my weigh is fine cause is measure out cause im tall its not fine its awful my goal is try to loose at least 150 in 6 months. I know your smart butt rules its not healthy? I don't Care You have Know Idea How hard it is in life when your like this im 14 years old I don't need this And that is my goal even if it take sickness and all I want this more than anything
  • Mrsko79
    Mrsko79 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it isn't always the scale but rather the inches. Take your measurements down and keep a journal. Measure every week or every other. Sometimes the scale can be deceiving and kill your motivation. Doing cardio and weights will help shape and tone your body. I only have lost a few pounds so far but have lost major inches!

Don't get discouraged. Good luck on the wedding! I bought my dress to fit me so I wasn't stressed out. That was almost 4 years and I'm trying to get back down to that size! I'm hoping a good reduction by my birthday. Weight loss and inches! :)
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I am fat. im young and 310 People Say that my weigh is fine cause is measure out cause im tall its not fine its awful my goal is try to loose at least 150 in 6 months. I know your smart butt rules its not healthy? I don't Care You have Know Idea How hard it is in life when your like this im 14 years old I don't need this And that is my goal even if it take sickness and all I want this more than anything

Oh hun I think you're setting yourself up for a fall xxx

The rules aren't there to restrict peoples ambitions they're there to give people realistic expectations, if you try to lose weight so fast you won't be just losing fat but lean body mass too (the stuff that will make you look good and healthy) you only want to focus on fat loss not just the number on the scale. I think you will probably lose weight fast at first but there will be a massive slow down between the first 50 pounds and the last.

I know it's hard but I don't want you to get frustrated that you aren't losing as much as you want immediately and give up, the goal you've given yourself is not very possible give yourself more time, you'll get there, noones being mean by saying stick to the rules we just don't want you to get disappointed xxxx

Also regarding your age I would see if you could consult a doctor to guide you with your weight loss, you're still growing and developing and drastic measures may seriously cause some damage to your development.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    You can lose what you want in 6 months but it will take hard work and dedication with your food

Really?

I have read some really poor advice given out on MFP and I usually just shake my head and move on. However telling a woman that is preparing for one of the most important days of her life that she can lose ALL that she wants in 6 months is setting her up for failure and possibly an eating disorder.

If all she had to lose was 30lbs then that is doable but almost a 100lbs?

No matter how hard someone works...no matter how diligent they are to workout and track....you can't always lose that much weight...if we could...most of our weight loss efforts would be over in 6 months.

If she had 300lbs to lose...maybe she could lose 100lbs...but she doesn't.

For most people...losing 20lbs a month for 6 months in a row...is very unhealthy.

YIKES
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I lost 36lbs in that span of time :)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Your profile says that you are 24.

Some here know exactly how you feel. They too were over weight at 14 or at 24. Most of us were just as desperate. Some have even tried to do what you want to do...lose that much weight so quickly. Most failed at it. Yes the lost some weight but then turned around and gained it all back plus more.

Here's some advice that you can either think about or ignore...

Get some help with your weight loss (parents plus a nutritionist/doctor).
    Learn to do this the right way so that you never have to face this again.

Most of all...learn to love yourself no matter what the scale says.

We are only giving you our advice based on years of failure and success.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    At your current weight something like this is not unreasonable if you are tracking diligently and not straying off course regularly.

10 pounds the first month
    8 pounds in months 2-6

So, that's a total of 50 pounds in 6 months.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Hard to say what you will lose in that time, but start now and in that time you will improve. Find a reasonable calorie deficit, and start doing some strength training. Good luck!

Edited to add read this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 lbs. in 6 months, but I stuck to it! I ate really well 90% of the time and exercised alot. If you stick too it, you CAN do it!