Wii Fit

Options
Does anyone use this as a form of exercise?I was looking at it & wondering if it is effective? I am 51 and out of shape so a lot of exercises are too much for me at the moment. I try to walk and ride a stationary bike, but if its really cold and icy out, it makes walking difficult. I do Leslie Sansone workouts, but would like to do different things - not sure if it is worth the money. Thanks!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's more of a game than exercise. You'd be better off to stick with DVD's or you can get some exercise games for the Wii if you already have one like EA Sports Active or Gold's Gym Cardio.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    It's a very light workout, but it can be good for learning/doing yoga and/or strength moves.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    resistance training....I have Wii Fit...I play the games with my children...but when I need to work out I go to the gym and lift weights. Walking is great, and if it is too cold outside then I suggest either a treadmill or gym membership. I started with a treadmill two years ago, I'm now with a full fledged gym membership and lift weights. I'm in the best shape of my life and still have a ways to go. Age is meaningless...don't let it stop you.
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You won't burn tons of calories using it, but I like using it once in awhile. If your having a hard time much exercise, it may be a good starting point, but I'd try to see if you can try it out first before investing in it (unless you can find it used).
  • Jeanasheldon
    Jeanasheldon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It IS more of a game, BUT when its icy and there's snow on the ground, it works. Its what you put into it that counts. My favorite is the running in place, but I like to run outside anyways..that is my exercise of choice. If you play any of the sports and exercises on the WII, make sure you are giving it your "all" and using big movements to burn the most calories and work your muscles...
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have wii fit, and the yoga is great, but I don't really like it for cardio or strength. I use EA sports Active for that and it's awesome. I have the original, but there's a 2nd one out now too that I'd like to try. It really gets your heart pumping and has you doing things like squats that you REALLY feel :) I also like my elliptical, so I use this as a secondary exercise. I'm 46 btw. :)
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have Wii Fit Plus and on my rest days in the week I use it for running (on a mini-trampoline as rehab for knackered knees) and I do the balance games, Muscle workouts and Yoga.
    I also have My Fitness Coach: Cardio Workout - this is the UK equivalent of Golds Gym Cardio - it's boxing related but a fantastic cardio workout on a Sunday for me, as well as Wii Active - which I am looking to start up again now my latest knee rehab has come to an end.
    Also have Zumba and Sports/GS Tennis for more fun activities ....

So put me in the resounding YES
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    When I first got mine, I used it to help lose weight (winter time and I hated the treadmill and didn't have money for a gym membership)...Now I use it for Yoga poses since I'm still new to it. The Yoga helps me loosen up when I'm running longer distances in the summer. I will also go for the boxing if I'm having a bad day and don't feel like taking it out on the treadmill (we have since made peace and I only dislike it now).
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I have wii fit, and the yoga is great, but I don't really like it for cardio or strength. I use EA sports Active for that and it's awesome. I have the original, but there's a 2nd one out now too that I'd like to try. It really gets your heart pumping and has you doing things like squats that you REALLY feel :) I also like my elliptical, so I use this as a secondary exercise. I'm 46 btw. :)

Good to see I'm not the only one who likes EA sports active. Good stuff! The second one is brutal some days but it's worth it :-)
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I am a little fearful now of Wii Active 2 - I bought it, but then my knee flared up (since been diagnosed with arthritis in both and have an MRI to assess cartilage damage from my years of hurdling)... so it may be something I aspire to do after knee operations to tidy up raggedy cartilage are done... :-(
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The rhythm boxing really works up a sweat and you can get weighted gloves to up the intensity. I also have a riser, so that the step workouts are more challenging.

I have a bunch of other games as well, like Zumba and Ea Active Workouts, but I still spend quite a bit of time with just the Wii Fit. I work up a sweat with the indoor temps in the sixties, so I am satisfied with it for now.
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

:heart: This! I love using my Wii for fitness. I use EA Active, too, and it's an excellent workout! It's well worth the money, as are the Just Dance games and The Michael Jackson Experience game. They're fun and they get you moving. Best of all, time flies while you're dancing and before you know it, 45-60 minutes are gone. Ultimately, the only thing that's going to work is a workout you enjoy doing. Good luck (and have fun)!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I use the wii and wii fit as active alternatives to sedentary video games, but I wouldn't use it as a primary workout. Better one 'lightly active' hour of Tiger Woods golf on the Wii than one sedentary hour on the PS3.

I'd compare it it to low-cal alternatives to high-cal foods. They aren't going to do the job themselves, but they help remove otherwise harmful things from your lifestyle.

With that said, my experience isn't the be-all and end-all. There are a few Wii Fit activities that can work up a sweat and get you out of breath - but you have to be able to commit to doing them regularly for sufficient periods of time.
  • lrd2010
    lrd2010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Actually, i found the jogging game on it quite good, gave me a little target to get myself into it. It's just running on the spot, but i built up a sweat :) good place to start i think! :)
  • amyyeary71
    amyyeary71 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I truly think that its what you do/how you do it/ and who you are. If you already have a good stamina, then you probably won't get a lot of benefits from it. I am over weight and out of shape. When i do my Wii Zumba/fitness/Bigest Loser...I get in a great workout. (I mix it up to keep from being bored and to work different parts) Definately much better than doing nothing. My point is...do what works for you and makes sense for you and your life. Good luck! And Keep Moving! :)
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I use the Wii Fit. I thought the games were fun. I am not in the condition to do a lot of normal execise and walking is painful. Once of features I like best is the balance building exercises. There is also the hula hoop.