Burpees

Options
2»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    My version of burpees: 2 8lb weights. Place hands on the weights and get into a plank position either on your knees or not. Do one row, altering sides then go into a burpee. Do 10, 3x While going from a plank, lift weights as you stand up. Get's your heart rate elevatied while toning core and shoulders.

2nd version. If your gym has TRX bars. Move the straps to the side. Stand under the bar and jump up and grab the bar with an underhand grip. Stay in a half pull up form while your body stabilizes and then drop down, go into a burpee. Stand up and repeat. 6, 3x This works, biceps, triceps, core and shoulders. AMAZING work out!

^ this sounds intense...I like it!

One that I used to do was put two 20# dumbbells in my hand then drop down and do a burpee while raising up jump and then repeat about 8 times..rest 60 seconds repeat three times....killer!
  • Wowat50
    Wowat50 Posts: 16
    Options
    Because of a problem I have with my right hip, I can't do them. Is there a substitue for them? Jillian Michaels loves burpees, I think they are in all of her workout dvds, the ones I have anyway. I just march in place or something while they do those.
  • chris10_hi
    chris10_hi Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    5 is a good start and when you feel like your body is ready bump it up 2 more each time! mind over matther! :)
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Didn't "burpees" use to be called "squat thrusts"? I think that's what we called them in gym class.

"Squat thrusts" is much more erotic sounding ...if you ask me.
  • TNR32
    TNR32 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I really hate burpees we have to do them for mandatory pt on drill weekends. The guy that is in charge of PT is a crossfit trainer. 10 min and I feel like I am going to die. 2-3 sets of 10 burpees twice a month.:sad:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I would typically do sets of 15, or set a timer and see how many I can do in a minute
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you can currently handle and/or want to work up to. You can do 5-10 now, if that's what you are comfortable with. Then work your way up to doing them "ladder" style (ie: 1-10, then back down to 1) that's exactly 100 push ups!! Then if your feeling really confident you can try doing the aforementioned "ladder" style with a 50 lbs ruck sack strapped to your back. Oh the pain!!
  • Caprica33
    Caprica33 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I can't get burpees!! Maybe one day!
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Didn't "burpees" use to be called "squat thrusts"? I think that's what we called them in gym class.

"Squat thrusts" is much more erotic sounding ...if you ask me.

Yep, that's what I remember them being called too.

I have a love/hate relationship with Burpees. I hate them, but I love the way I feel when I complete them, and better yet, set a PR. :drinker:
  • ChristineLondon
    ChristineLondon Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ouch......that's hardcore!!! I can just about manage 5! Lol!