Confused about TDEE & BMR

Options
Am I eating enough or too much? I'm confused. I don't know anything about TDEE or BMR. I just attempted to calculate it and I'm not sure I understand. I'm 5 foot 6, 132 lbs. & 52 years old. I am at my desk 8 hours a day. I work out 1 hour about 3 days a week & 1-2 each Saturday & Sunday. My arms & legs are pretty muscular just unhappy with my stomach. TMI?? MFP suggested 1200 calories & I've been sticking to that for the most part. I lost initially but have been at the same place for 2-3 weeks. My TDEE calculated at 1946 and BMR at 1786. Can anyone give me any suggestions?? I've changed my diary to public. Thank you!

Replies

• sundaywishes
    sundaywishes Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Sending you a PM =)
  • Metallux
    Metallux Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm also wondering about this....mfp recommends 1200 calories, which seems to be working out, but I also work out 3-4 x a week to lose weight, so my tdee is more in the 1600 range by that estimate.
    I really don't want to stall as every week counts to hit my goal in may.
  • letbc
    letbc Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • Chrissiecurit
    Chrissiecurit Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Am I eating enough or too much? I'm confused. I don't know anything about TDEE or BMR. I just attempted to calculate it and I'm not sure I understand. I'm 5 foot 6, 132 lbs. & 52 years old. I am at my desk 8 hours a day. I work out 1 hour about 3 days a week & 1-2 each Saturday & Sunday. My arms & legs are pretty muscular just unhappy with my stomach. TMI?? MFP suggested 1200 calories & I've been sticking to that for the most part. I lost initially but have been at the same place for 2-3 weeks. My TDEE calculated at 1946 and BMR at 1786. Can anyone give me any suggestions?? I've changed my diary to public. Thank you!

IF your BMR is 1786 (which sounds high) and you are only eating 1200, then you are eating way too little. You should be eating AT LEAST your BMR. Your BMR is what your body needs to survive.

I calculated your BMR (www.fat2fitradio.com) and got 1295 (without knowing your body fat %) and your TDEE as 1781 (Lightly Active). Therefore, TDEE - 20% would be 1424. I would up your calories from 1200 to 1424. Using this number, you would not eat any exercise calories back as they are included in the number.

Hope that helps/makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions!
    Chrissie
  • katiekfloo
    Options
    deleted
  • letbc
    letbc Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you Chrissiecurit! I will recalculate.:blushing:
  • sundaywishes
    Options

IF your BMR is 1786 (which sounds high) and you are only eating 1200, then you are eating way too little. You should be eating AT LEAST your BMR. Your BMR is what your body needs to survive.

I calculated your BMR (www.fat2fitradio.com) and got 1295 (without knowing your body fat %) and your TDEE as 1781 (Lightly Active). Therefore, TDEE - 20% would be 1424. I would up your calories from 1200 to 1424. Using this number, you would not eat any exercise calories back as they are included in the number.

Chrissie

20% cut is way too high if someone only has 2lbs left to lose...even if she had 10, that's still too high. 5-7% is a better way to go, and will make the transition into maintenance much smoother.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I am 52 and 2 inchs shorter than you. My BMR is about 1198. My goal weight is 130 and I have been eating 1500 calories which is maintenance for 130 lbs (sedentary, I also have a desk job). I work out every day and eat my exercise calories and I have not been able to move the scale since hitting 132. I have lost an inch in bust and waist since starting strenght training in December. It may be that your goal wieght is not realistic. It is very difficult to get the last 5 vanity lbs off our bodies, especially at menopause. Look at changes in your body composition as your goal rhater than scale weight.
  • sundaywishes
    Options
    I have lost an inch in bust and waist since starting strength training in December. It may be that your goal weight is not realistic. It is very difficult to get the last 5 vanity lbs off our bodies, especially at menopause. Look at changes in your body composition as your goal rather than scale weight.

I definitely agree with looking at body comp rather than scale weight. What do you care about more--how you LOOK and FEEL or the number on the scale? Do you want to be smaller or lighter? I personally choose the first options out of those scenarios. I wouldn't like my body at a flabby, size five 100lbs, but I would love my body at a trim, size two 120lbs. How is this possible? Increasing your lean body mass and reducing your body fat %. How is that possible? Strength training. And krickeyuu's post shows that a woman your age can strength train and lose inches. Also, strength training is great for your bones, something that women in their 50's need to be mindful of.

PS--good for you, krickeyuu!
  • Chrissiecurit
    Options

Chrissie

20% cut is way too high if someone only has 2lbs left to lose...even if she had 10, that's still too high. 5-7% is a better way to go, and will make the transition into maintenance much smoother.

I didn't notice that she only had 3lbs. to lose. That just means she needs to up her calories even MORE than what I recommended and definitely not go by MFP's 1200. I was just giving her the numbers to use. She doesn't need to use 20% but at least she now has the correct number to reduce from (1781).
  • sundaywishes
    Options

Chrissie

I didn't notice that she only had 3lbs. to lose. That just means she needs to up her calories even MORE than what I recommended and definitely not go by MFP's 1200. I was just giving her the numbers to use. She doesn't need to use 20% but at least she now has the correct number to reduce from (1781).

*I* understand where you're coming from, however please be careful when giving out advice to people that don't know a lot about a subject, or are confused. She admittedly stated she doesn't know anything about BMR or TDEE....therefore she is probably taking advice at face value. She could have decided to take your advice and do a 20% cut and if it hadn't been pointed out to you, then your advice would have been left unchanged. I am not trying to attack you by any means, there is just a lot of people here that either don't fully read posts or don't take all the variables into consideration, or don't explain things fully or properly, etc., therefore giving advice that is either wrong or can be harmful. Please make sure to look at all the information, for the sake of the ones asking questions. :flowerforyou:
  • Chrissiecurit
    Options
    *I* understand where you're coming from, however please be careful when giving out advice to people that don't know a lot about a subject, or are confused. She admittedly stated she doesn't know anything about BMR or TDEE....therefore she is probably taking advice at face value. She could have decided to take your advice and do a 20% cut and if it hadn't been pointed out to you, then your advice would have been left unchanged. I am not trying to attack you by any means, there is just a lot of people here that either don't fully read posts or don't take all the variables into consideration, or don't explain things fully or properly, etc., therefore giving advice that is either wrong or can be harmful. Please make sure to look at all the information, for the sake of the ones asking questions. :flowerforyou:

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you but even if she took the 20% figure I gave her it wouldn't be *harmful* to her. If she is eating 1200 as MFP suggests, me telling her to up her calories to 1424 would help, not harm. Eating below BMR is what is harmful.

OP - check out http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 It has all the information that you need to know. :happy:
  • sundaywishes
    Options

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you but even if she took the 20% figure I gave her it wouldn't be *harmful* to her. If she is eating 1200 as MFP suggests, me telling her to up her calories to 1424 would help, not harm. Eating below BMR is what is harmful.

OP - check out http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 It has all the information that you need to know. :happy:

Defninitely not trying to get into a pissing contest...thought that was clear in my post. You are correct, you telling her to up her calories is helpful. I never said your advice was harmful to her. I was just pointing out (in a friendly manner) that you may want to look more closely at posts before giving advice. I would think you would appreciate that if you posted a topic and others gave advice without utilizing all the information you had provided them.

And yes, OP that thread Chrissie mentioned, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 , is helpful. It pretty much reiterates everything I said in my PM to you.

Sorry this alledged "pissing contest" is on your thread. I'm sure you understood my intentions and that I was only trying to be helpful. At least you accepted it graciously. :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Chrissie

You are wise beyond your years...and awesome. OP, listen to this woman.
  • sundaywishes
    Options
    Awww, thank you, cwolfman13! :flowerforyou: And an even bigger "thank you" for serving our country. :heart: