Stretch your shins?

Options
When I walk....my shins burn. How can I stretch them better before I start? How the heck do you stretch your shin? :blushing:

Replies

• msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Put your toes so they're bending up against a wall and lean forward into it. It stretches your calves and indirectly your shins. :)
  • LilMissAngi
    LilMissAngi Posts: 127
    Options
    yea I have noticed that my shins hurt when I got for a walk or run.
  • chandnikhondji
    chandnikhondji Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    i use to stretch my shin with pushing my toes down until my shin and the upper side of my foot is one straight line
  • Mom2Emery_Liam
    Options
    Just search for calf stretches and those should help. It's not your actually shin that's burning, but the calves muscles behind the shins that cause that sensation of the bone,front of the leg hurting.
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    I sit on the floor with my knees bent and my heels right under my butt. If you don't feel a stretch you can gently pull your knee upward to get a deep ankel and shin stretch.
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Stand on the edge of a step and let your heels hang down - this will stretch your calves and that will help the shins. At least, it seemed to help me! :happy:
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    You can also do toe drags!! But I agree - stretch your calves too. Toes on a stair helps me a lot.
  • jkohan
    jkohan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Stand with one foot on a stair, the other on the floor and bend down on the leg that's on the floor--sort of a modified lunge. the bending motion (with heel on the floor) will stretch the muscles and ligaments behind your shin. Do 8 reps on each leg.
  • WonderNoodle
    WonderNoodle Posts: 549
    Options
    thanks everyone...i've tried several and can feel it. will be sure to do that before i hit the track next!
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    My shins hurt so bad when I first started walking a lot again that I would about cry.

Two things helped me - sitting in a recliner and hanging a hand weight from the end of your foot using a short bungie cord. Let it pull the front of your foot down and consequently stretch the shin area. Do it for about 5 minutes and switch to the other foot. Repeat if you want. Also standing on one leg a bringing the other leg to the back and touching, or trying to touch your butt with the foot. Great shin stretch. Hold for as long as possible and repeat. Solved my problem. Not needed much anymore as I got used to increased activity.
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    When I walk....my shins burn. How can I stretch them better before I start? How the heck do you stretch your shin? :blushing:

I found this in an article at the Dr.'s office:

"Strengthening exercise for the shin muscle.
    Sit on a table with legs hanging down. Put a 3-5 pound weight over the toes. Flex foot at ankle. Hold for six seconds. Relax. Repeat for one minute with each leg."

The picture in the article suggests the weight hanging from the foot may be a paint can with a wire handle or maybe a bucket (perhaps with sand in it?).
  • scweegie
    scweegie Posts: 59
    Options
    I also found when you are in a calf stretch to bend your knee a bit, and you get an added pull of the muscle that runs down the inside of the front of the leg.