Losing inches but no weight loss

Options
I am about 5'0 and my starting weight in December was 152.2 lbs. Now I am weighing in at 152.4lbs. I don't have the "strictest" diet but I stay around 1500 cals daily (weekends are a killer), workout about 3-5 times a week for an hour each. Each workout routine contains anything between cardio, free weights, upper body and lower body, and back. I measure myself about every month and I've seen minor changes there, but not enough to feel like there's been any progress. One major change is I feel much more toned, I am able to hold myself up, do push ups and pulls up, and feel more energy. Am I asking for too much too soon? Is there something I should do differently? Is this..."normal"? This has been my biggest battle with weight loss.....is that I don't see the numbers drop but I feel myself getting stronger. Any insight, suggestions, ideas, advice will help! THANKS!

Replies

• housemr
    housemr Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i was just getting ready to post basically the same question. my scale and belly are not changing anymore but i am stronger, lifting more, and for my pants i did have to go to a new belt notch but stuck on the scale.
  • mancgolfer
    mancgolfer Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Essentially you are losing fat and gaining muscle. Muscle is denser than fat so for the same weight takes up less room hence your pants are loose but the scales aren't changing!

All good, but if you really want to lose weight, you'll have to drop your calories by around 500 per day. You won't build muscle but you will lose fat. Make sure you're still doing resistance training though or you could burn too much lean mass instead of fat!
  • mancgolfer
    mancgolfer Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you're really looking for that motivation, then you can get a body fat % monitor. That way you can see your body fat percentage reduce even if the scales are showing the same weight. :-) Hope this helps!
  • Zandia_1
    Zandia_1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Essentially you are losing fat and gaining muscle. Muscle is denser than fat so for the same weight takes up less room hence your pants are loose but the scales aren't changing!
    I love when people use the correct term. :bigsmile:
    All good, but if you really want to lose weight, you'll have to drop your calories by around 500 per day. You won't build muscle but you will lose fat. Make sure you're still doing resistance training though or you could burn too much lean mass instead of fat!
    Um, you're suggesting she drop to 1000 cal/day?:noway:

If you've been doing the same routine since December, it might be a good time to change things up a bit (and I don't mean restricting your calories). Try some short HIIT routines. I recommend the old Bodyrock videos, as well as the Zuzana's ZWOWs. I've been using Zuzana's Zcut videos for a few days now and I swear that it has been like taking a needle to a balloon. I have not only lost inches, but I have also gone down in the scale. In any case, try a new workout to get out of your rut.

Edit to fix quotations.
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    1st 4 weeks or so I lost a lb a week. this week no loss, but lost 1.5 inches on thighs, and 1 on waist.. Works for me as I am fitting better in clothes, and fit into a pair of pants I couldn't wear previously.
  • mpachee
    mpachee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback so far guys! I've been watching videos on youtube for ideas (e.g. BodyRock). On my lazy days, I do zumba which makes break a pretty good sweat. I do Insanity once a week (and this is because I injured my lower back from Insanity before) then I mix up my other workout routines on other days. I am in the last month of a weight loss contest so I'm going to have to make adjustments if I want to see some number changes.