pain

Options
So i set a biking goal of 40miles this week i have 14 already this morning i wanted to do 7 more but the pain in my knees hurt so bad i could only do five and i work a 10 hour day until 10 pm so i only have the mornings i cant break it up. Does anyone have suggestions on what do do for my pain so i can go longer?

Replies

• tarakeet0369
    Options
    So i set a biking goal of 40miles this week i have 14 already this morning i wanted to do 7 more but the pain in my knees hurt so bad i could only do five and i work a 10 hour day until 10 pm so i only have the mornings i cant break it up. Does anyone have suggestions on what do do for my pain so i can go longer?
  • michyrn
    michyrn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have tried knee braces, icing my knees before I ride, none of those worked. I work as a medical assistant for a pain management clinic and we perscribe Lidoderm Patches to our patients for joint pain. We often get samples so I tried one while riding and it helped alot. The patches are applied directly to the area that is painful and left on for 12 hours (you dont have to keep it on that long). What it is is Lidocaine (a numbing agent) that is transfered thought the skin directly to the source of the pain, they are very safe to use, the medication does not enter you bloodstream so it wont interact with any other meds you may be on. You might want to give them a try, contact your primary and ask about them.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    How long have you been riding? If you haven't ridden in a while, then you might be pushing too far/too hard too fast.
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    Do you have problems with your knees other than on the bike?
    Is the bike fitted correct (i.e. height, saddle height, seating position et cetera?)
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Do you have problems with your knees other than on the bike?
    Is the bike fitted correct (i.e. height, saddle height, seating position et cetera?)

If your bike seat is at the improper height, that can lead to serious knee issues (from my personal experience.)
  • Kreanga1
    Kreanga1 Posts: 12
    Options
    Are you sitting all day when you work....At the computer? If you are, think about it....you are in training for ten hours with your knees bent and probably tensed. Your hamstrings may be shortening up. Its trouble... Try cross training, biking, walking etc. Tai chi is great to strengthen your legs. And lots of stretching. If your hamstrings are tight then knee and back pain will probably follow. if you are just starting biking, it may be too much mileage.
    Good luck!