5K times?

Options
Hey everyone! I am running my first 5K on Saturday. I decided to go for a test run on the treadmill tonight to check my time and I'm at 31:25. Not bad considering I couldn't even run a half-mile without slowing to a walk when I started.

Do you think this is a bad race time for a 30 year old? I am so afraid I will come in last!!!

Replies

• jkohan
    jkohan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    That sounds very good to me...but I just finished my Mother's Day 5K and walked it--so my time was much longer than that. Plenty of runners came in longer than your time....I think you're going to do great! Good luck!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I hope you've been running outside and not just on the treadmill. With that said, the important thing is that you try your best. Some people run a 12 minute mile and some run a 7 minute mile. Just do your best at your 5K this weekend, and then try and keep improving your pace from there.
  • amyfritz
    amyfritz Posts: 33
    Options
    31 is great.. I ran my last one in 35.
  • aimeeclaire
    aimeeclaire Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hey! That is awesome:)

I am not sure how big of a race it is but I'm sure you will be right in the middle of the pack. There are always the "racers" at the front...walk/runners at the back...and 8-11 min milers in the middle. I wouldn't worry too much about your time as it really doesn't matter. It is just an accomplishment just to do a 5k!!! But, I know exactly what you mean....I am not fast and always worry about the same thing. It has never happen...yet...but if it does...OH WELL.

Good Luck!! I am sure you will do great...and enjoy it!:)
  • sunshinestate
    sunshinestate Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have been bad and only running inside on the treadmill! It's Florida - hot and sticky outside!

I know the outside conditions are definitely going to add minutes. Maybe I'll run in the park tomorrow.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    This link will take you to a sample of the finishing times of a regular 5k (plus others) event held around here. As you can see, the times for the 5k run ranged from 24 minutes, up to 46. So your time is quite reasonable. And remember on the day you'll push yourself and probably do 5% quicker, it usually happens!

(One year i saw a girl come in just under 18 minutes for the 5k run - she was this little 10 or so year old thing and seriously she sprinted the whole way! so I hope that puts it in some perspective.)

ETA: helps if I add the link, huh? http://www.sarahulmerbrand.com/user-content/7023-sub-cambridge-provisional-results-2.pdf

ETA#2: sorry forgot about it being summer there, ignore my comment about doing better off the treadmill :ohwell:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    That's a WONDERFUL first 5k time! My first 5k time was 62 mins. I recently did a treadmill 5k & finished in 47. Aiming for 30 next run ;)
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I have been bad and only running inside on the treadmill! It's Florida - hot and sticky outside!

I know the outside conditions are definitely going to add minutes. Maybe I'll run in the park tomorrow.

I definitely would! Even if you have to get up 45 minutes earlier than usual to do it! Humidity does suck, but chances are it'll be humid for the race on Saturday and it'll be good to have a humidity run under your belt!

I forgot to say, good luck! I have a 5K on Saturday as well :)
  • stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I recently ran an 8k - my first OFFICIAL race! I hoped for a 10min mile but did 11...more importantly my goals were to finish the race, run the whole thing (no walking) and cross the finish line with a smile on my face - I accomplished all three. I then got my time down to 10:25 on the next race.

This being said, I did my best and had a blast, age has nothing to do with it. I am way, way older than 30 but still competitive and it helps that my 20 year old daughter is my boot camp coach when she's home from school. She kicks my A**.

Have fun!
  • GreenieBean
    GreenieBean Posts: 64
    Options
    Where in Florida are you racing? I live in Florida and I have been trying to find some 5K races
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I've never run a 5K but I have done a couple of bicycle races. In my first race I was so worried about coming in last that I burnt myself out in the first half and the second hour was something akin to torture. I was sure I was going to puke going up a major climb but fought through it and never stopped once. I finished with probably the fastest 40 mile ride of my life. But I came in dead last, being beat by a 13 year old boy. At that point, it no longer mattered where I came in in the standings...I was just so proud that I finsihed without stopping and with a good time for me. Don't be overly concerned with not coming in last just do your best and be proud of yourself for finishing something that a lot of people will never do.
  • stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Where in Florida are you racing? I live in Florida and I have been trying to find some 5K races

go to a good running shoe store and they will have a list of races that happen in your area, both locally and in the bigger city area. At least that is how it is around the Chicago area.
  • sunshinestate
    sunshinestate Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    This race is at Wakulla Springs State Park. If you're in the north Florida area, check out the Gulf Winds Track Club.

Just look out for the smell of the oil ;-)