Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Really great info here.
  • bootsandfros
    bootsandfros Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info. i hope to do at least one chin up by the summer.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Monstah bump!
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    Options
    :drinker:
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Noting this for my spell at the gym later!
  • kariannmbc
    Options
    What do you recommend as a good way to start for those of us who can't even do one pullup or chinup?
  • tmos512
    tmos512 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    :glasses:
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info :) I'm doing eccentric training on pullups at the moment (training the down motion) with a neutral grip (palms in). Switching to band in a couple of weeks, and then hopefully dead hang :D
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    What do you recommend as a good way to start for those of us who can't even do one pullup or chinup?

Try this link http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/04/25/do-a-pull-up/
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Thanks Joe

When doing the negative pullups / chinups - how many do you recommend in one session?

I am doing four sets of 5-8 chin-ups with resistance bands to assist, then a final set of 5 x negatives. I'm pretty shot after that, but seeing slow strength increases. Can actually pull a chin-up (x1) without assistance now. About 24lbs overweight.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    3. Do alot of short rep sets, like 10-2's or even 15-2's.

When you get strong enough to get to 5-10 reps, add weight onto a weight belt and continue the 10-2's, etc. You WILL get stronger at them.

I like that one. did that when i couldn't do pull ups, never thought of doing it with my weighted vest... duh lol

What you shouldn't do when doing pullups:

- Assistance Pullup Machine: I know there will be alot of controversy regarding the assistance pullup machine, but I don't recommend using it. I fully UNDERSTAND that some people have used it and got stronger from it but again I don't like it and don't recommend it.

Use resistance bands and use the REAL pullup bar. Go with chinups if you have to.

i'm doing p90x and i do the pull up sets to failure, then i step into this 'bungee pull up assist' device that straps onto my pull up bar to do a few more after failure. I guess thats breaking at least two rules lol.

whats your thoughts on that?

- Locking your elbows and going to a dead hang for every rep. This is NOT the correct way. The ONLY time you should be at a dead hang is when you start. You should keep your lats engaged throughout the entire exercise. When you drop your shoulders to a dead hang, you are disengaging your lats.

i don't like this one lol. I've always been big on doing the full range of motion but totally recognize that it takes stress off the muscle in moves like this and curls. Up until now, i've always thought it more important to go full range then keep stress on the muscle but you've got me second guessing myself now.

And you always recommend a false grip for pullups?
  • kariannmbc
    Options

Try this link http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/04/25/do-a-pull-up/

Thank you!
  • luv_2_lift
    luv_2_lift Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Cpsnisi
    Cpsnisi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain how exactly you use resitsance bands with the pullup bar? I'm just not picturing how you would attach them, etc. It sounds like it would really be hepful if I can figure it out since I'm in the "can't do one pullup yet" camp!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain how exactly you use resitsance bands with the pullup bar? I'm just not picturing how you would attach them, etc. It sounds like it would really be hepful if I can figure it out since I'm in the "can't do one pullup yet" camp!

there is probably some clip you could buy but it seems like you should be able to just through the cord over the bar and grab the handles. as long as you don't let go you should be fine
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options

there is probably some clip you could buy but it seems like you should be able to just through the cord over the bar and grab the handles. as long as you don't let go you should be fine

You put a nylon webbing handle on each end of the resistance band, thread the webbing loops on each end of the pullup bar and then place one knee in the resistance band like a cradle. This takes some of your bodyweight off and you are able to perform assisted pullups that way.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    Options
    bump
  • foodcart
    foodcart Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks! This is just what I needed!
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Bumping. Thanks for this too btw!