How to avoid the dreaded loose skin??

Options
Just wondering what has or hasn't worked for people when dealing with skin after weight loss. I'm aware that some people are lucky and don't really have a problem with this but for that people that have or are dealing with it what are you doing?

I do try to drink a lot of water and I've been using a sugar scrub because I read that increasing blood flow helps restore elasticity. Also I've been using Palmer's coco butter for after weight loss lotion. I have a lot of weight to lose still but I feel like it's not to early to try and avoid a potential overload of excess skin.

Thanks!

Replies

• Cocotte30
    Cocotte30 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Honestly there are no miracle solutions to this dilemma. I would say that after doing everything humanly possible through eating clean, exercising and weight-lifting, there ain't much else you can do about loose skin other than resort to either accepting it, or getting it removed by plastic surgery (in the case of heavy flaps of skin) or by laser treatments that melts the fat and tightens up the skin (for lighter bits of hanging skin). I have the same issues, althought its really mild, but still it bothers me at times. Sometimes I wish I had a magic wand like Harry Potter's and zap it off! lolllll Also, with age our skin doesn't bounce back to its original state as we lose elasticity when get older. I don't particularly beleive in special topical creams as they only penetrate the surface of the skin. I think through eating as clean as possible, staying away from overly processed foods and drinks is key to getting the best results, but it is a long-term process. The body didn't accumulate this overnight, and so it will take some time for your body to shed the excess fat and remold itself close to what you would desire it to look like. For me, its been a long time battle to which now, I've decided to eat clean, exercise and enjoy myself with my little hanging bits ;))) lolllllllll
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I agree, there isn't any magic way to stop this. Some people end up with loose skin, some don't. A lot of different factors play into it, genetics, how overweight you were, how old you are, etc.
  • lovinglifemore
    lovinglifemore Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    the truth is there will always be some looseness but you can help it out by eating healthy, staying hydrated, and the skin care stuff you are already doing, but the number one thing to help the appearance of loose skin is to build up the underlying muscle so the skin has something to drape over and therefore appear less bunched.
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've been worrying about this same problem myself lately. Bump for reading later. :) Probably plastic surgery is the only option... :(
  • lovinglifemore
    lovinglifemore Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    also how quickly the weight is lost will affect the amount of loose skin. if you lose slowly your body can readjust some of the excess but never all of it.
  • mrs_joshica
    mrs_joshica Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Honestly, losing weight at a slower pace & toning are your two best plan of actions in avoiding as much loose skin as possible. This isn't a cure all, and may work better for some than it does other. Most people who have lost very, very quickly have had higher risks of more lose skin than others that tone & lose weight at a slower pace. I think anyone who has been very heavy for any long period of time may have to accept that they will have some loose skin toward the end, and like the previous person said, there is no "miracle" to completely stop this.

I will say, however, I've seen many people shy away from weight loss for fear of the loose skin, and to that, I have to ask: "What's worse, loose skin & healthy body, or unhealthy body & taunt skin?
  • Cocotte30
    Options
    Yes I agree that putting on more muscle can help with filing in the area around the arms and tights, but only to a certain extent. If there is too much hanging skin, no amount of muscle can compensate. I've done the weight training stint for a while and I ended up a bit too muscled to my taste. I was getting bulky...but it does make the hanging bits less noticeable. I say the best aproach is to make peace with the "hanging tid bits" or spend lots of $$$$ to have it removed if it really makes you unhappy. This is a personal and private choice.
  • Cocotte30
    Options
    I agree with Mrs. Joshica, that its best to have a healthy body with loose skin than being at an unhealthy weight which brings on a whole set of medical problems with it. ;)
  • RockCreak
    Options
    I just hope that I am one o those lucky people who's skin just bounce back into place. If not, I'll just have to make do with what I have.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Lose weight slowly...pick up heavy things and put them down to build lean body mass.