My 1st NSV - I wasn't expecting...

Options
I started MFP about 4 weeks ago with my initial major goal to lose 2lbs/ week since I was going to finally be able to start exercising for generally the first time in 2-3 years, & I was going to be hardcore & jump into Insanity.

Well, I wasn't losing 2lbs/week even being super strict logging all foods. I wasn't even losing 1lb/week. It took me 2&1/2 weeks to lose my 1st pound, & then about another 9 days to lose my 2nd. But was already noticing changes - particularly in my tummy - when I looked down while showering I could see more of me! In a good way...

But really my 1st NSV is - I got patience! Patience is NOT a virtue of mine by far, but I'm not letting my slow start discourage me. And for once, I'm not just saying that. I'm actually OK not losing 2lbs/ week (though it would be nice) or even 1lb (which I'll still try for.) I actually have gotten to a place where I do have the patience to just lose maybe an average of 1/2lb a week. As long as I keep going & results keep going in the right direction - I'm happy for that. I know I'm doing things healthy, & my biggest obstacle is myself & making sure I really do exercise every day in some context. But if I actually learned PATIENCE with this in just a month, then I'm feeling pretty confident I can overcome that too.

:smile:

Replies

• the3erwins
    the3erwins Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Patience can be very hard to come by, and it can easily be replaced by frustration and disappointment. Keep the positive attitude and continue to follow the plan. The pounds will come off!
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    patience is a BIG part of this process... its hard seeing others' success stories & such and not see your own scale move.... but find other things to concentrate on... perhaps you are losing inches instead of pounds....perhaps your heart rate is better now even with no weightloss.... perhaps you can walk/run up a flight of stairs faster now and not be out of breath.... its the little things

Congrats on the patience thing...and if ya have any to spare, please share with me
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    You just unlocked the ultimate weight loss secret, many come and give up for lacking it. I got a feeling you will be a big loser :-)
  • LizRodmell
    LizRodmell Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    good for you! also you need to remember that with something as hardcore as insanity you will be gaining muscle. which is awesome, i go more by tape measure then scale for this reason. you must not have much weight to loose to which will of course mean smaller losses. took at it as your optimizing and conditioning you body, rather then trying to loose x amount of pounds x
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    You are so right! That is definitely the key to success. I never had it before this either and most likely would have quit 5 times by now and still be in the same place i was almost a year ago. Since I am approaching everything differently this time and not depriving myself, I have been able to be patient. If i lose a pound in a week, great. If I gain a pound in a week, I know it will come back off soon. No worries.

Congratulations on your success so far and for many future successes as well! :drinker:
  • irmacasillas
    Options
    good for you!!!!! keep that positive attitude!!! patience will definitely keep you in the right path. i too haven't lost much,last week i didn't lose anything so i'm right there with you!! lets just keep going!:smile:
  • llpaq
    llpaq Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU!!!! I really think patience is KEY and I'm still learning it- one workout/meal at a time! Congrats on your NSV- its an awesome one that will carry you throughout life:flowerforyou: !!!
  • Stenobun
    Stenobun Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Patience is something I've struggled with, too, and I feel so much better now that I'm not beating myself up every day and just being patient instead. :)
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Patience is the hardest tool of all to learn. You are a rock star.
  • fstender
    fstender Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Excellent! My husband did insanity and didn't lose much during the days he did it..(he didn't follow a diet) but then all of sudden after he was done...it's like his body just purged all the weight! So keep up the good work! you can do it....even if does take you a while! :)
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    That's awesome that you're not going to let yourself get discouraged. Congrats on your progress and on discovering the importance of being patient.

Good luck to you!
  • goody2shews
    goody2shews Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I started MFP about 4 weeks ago with my initial major goal to lose 2lbs/ week since I was going to finally be able to start exercising for generally the first time in 2-3 years, & I was going to be hardcore & jump into Insanity.

Well, I wasn't losing 2lbs/week even being super strict logging all foods. I wasn't even losing 1lb/week. It took me 2&1/2 weeks to lose my 1st pound, & then about another 9 days to lose my 2nd. But was already noticing changes - particularly in my tummy - when I looked down while showering I could see more of me! In a good way...

But really my 1st NSV is - I got patience! Patience is NOT a virtue of mine by far, but I'm not letting my slow start discourage me. And for once, I'm not just saying that. I'm actually OK not losing 2lbs/ week (though it would be nice) or even 1lb (which I'll still try for.) I actually have gotten to a place where I do have the patience to just lose maybe an average of 1/2lb a week. As long as I keep going & results keep going in the right direction - I'm happy for that. I know I'm doing things healthy, & my biggest obstacle is myself & making sure I really do exercise every day in some context. But if I actually learned PATIENCE with this in just a month, then I'm feeling pretty confident I can overcome that too.

:smile:

My first four months I lost 9 lbs. I gained back 5 and then in October went nuts. I was eating too much and I knew it. I am not as active as most people. When I do exercise I need to rest more so it is a little different for everyone. You will hear everybody's OPINION on here all day long. In the end what works for you is what you got to do and just ignore everything else.

I wish you the best and pray you stick to your guns on this. You are worth it!
  • red8424
    red8424 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Great job! My scale didn't move this morning but my skirt zipped up with no resistance! I'll take it! Keep up the good work!
  • ksnegirl
    ksnegirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I completely know what you mean. I only lost 9lbs since July (Christmas/holidays really threw me off). But then when I started back up in January, the lbs keep dropping. I stopped worrying about every little thing I was putting in my mouth....stopped obsessing. And the next thing you know, I've lost 2lbs a week for the last 3 weeks. I am now at a little over 15 lbs. I like to tell myself that the slower it comes off, the longer it will stay off....for good. Congrats on your NSV!!
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I love this! Patience is one of the worst things to not have when losing weight. You have your head in the right place! Good for you! :)
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! WTG, keep it up and don't give up!
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Patience is a great hing to have. If you haven't done so already start tracking your measurements and take before/during/after pictures. The scale is stuborn at times and taking measurements and pictures will show you another story.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    ~smiles~

I like this. And it's a heck of an NSV
  • NewKeriSept2014
    NewKeriSept2014 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    that is AWESOME! i can totally relate to your post. I started working out the 2nd week of january and started eating healthy the 3rd week of january. The scale wasnt moving for me at all, and i was even going up in weight! today i weighed myself and I was 0.8 down from my SW, and you know what i am OK with that! the old me would have been upset!
    i am adding you , you seem like great motivation! thank you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!