Success Tips PLEASE

Options
So, I understand that losing weight takes effort and is not a rocket science for most people that do not have issues like medical problems that can get in the way. I know eat less, eat better and exercise is the key factors. With all that said, I am lookng for long term success tips. I have seen people on here that have been very successful and for long term losses. Suggestions on motivation or how/what it was that kept you going through the rough times?
I have over 100 lbs to lose so this would be very helpful if someone had a few tips.
Thanks!! Debbie

Replies

• groke101
    Options
    Hi, I can't claim to be an expert at all, but the success that I have had so far has been because I have done things in moderation, eaten a bit of what I really wanted (but not too much) and been totally honest with myself when completing my food and exercise diaries. It also really helps when people start to notice, for me that took 30lbs though. Other than that, try getting or borrowing a dog, you simply have to walk the little devil and therefore you have to exercise. Sadly other than that there are no shortcuts, but I have found that MFP gets you into a routine.

I have been through a bad patch over the last couple of weeks, but there are some really inspiring and motivating people on here who are willing to support each other, it's like a dieting Nirvana.

Good luck
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    learn to love water.

make changes which you can stick to forever. small things like, if you're making brownies for your family, adding in protein powder and half the oil. or stop eating fried chicken, unless it's a special occasion. or stop drinking soda.

tackle small things until they become habit, then tackle a new challenge.

for me, my first thing was hitting the gym 3x a week, no excuses. then when that was habit, i went 4x a week. then i started cleaning up my diet.

even now, i'm trying to eat less bread, walk more, and cut down sweets. my will power maxes out at about 3 new challenges at a time!
  • Jenism1
    Jenism1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree with the previous post. Small changes, a little at a time. If you try to cut out everything at once, it is bound to fail. Having said that, you don't have to cut everything out, just smaller portions or only on a given day. I found that eating 3 meals a day and 2 snacks really helped keep the hungries at bay. I like having almonds, Greek yogurt, fruits and veggies cut up and ready to go. And of course, you have to move the body. Walking is a great way to start...even if it is pouring rain, cold, windy, you just have to get out there!

Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend if you want!
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Water water water!! Dont drink your calories. And even diet soda/drinks the fake sugar in them your bodies turns it to fat.

Look at this a healthy LIFESTYLE. Not a diet. You want to live healthier... not be on a temporary fad diet.

Try to a step at time with you eating habits. Take two week to get used to eating more veggies. Then take 2 weeks to get used to eating brown rice instead of white. dont try to do it all at once, its very overwhelming.

skinnytaste.com for great recipes also pinterest is good for healthy tips and workout.

Try....try...try.. to get most processed food out of you diet and much as possible over time this will be easier and easier.

Food prep!! If you take 30 minutes to write a menu of food options for the week. Then take 60 minutes to preparem your breakfast and lunch. for the week. example.. i made tuna salad with whole pasta for lunch for the whole week for breakfast I made greek yogurt pancakes. Its much easier for me in the morning to grab my premade lunch and premade breakfast... and two snacks. Usually some fruit for am snack and yogurt or granola bar for my pm snack. then all that is left is dinner.

Surround yourself with your goal. surround yourself with positive ppl and motivators.

Dont compare yourself with others.

You didnt gain the weight over night... so dont expect to lose it over night.
  • dynamicwon
    dynamicwon Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Get an heart rate monitor watch so that you can accurately track how many calories you burn and also log everything you eat. Im in maintenance and those two factors helped the most.
  • carolstartingover
    carolstartingover Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Deb, I have turned over a new leaf and it is all in my mind really. It always has been, fear of getting hungry, I have food so I have decided to eat small nutritious meals and have one dessert 150 to 200 calories. Some might say that it is really not a good idea to have the sweets in there. However, cutting down to one from 3 or 4 using empty calories is good for me. I will be ready to post a loss tomorrow. Scale was down yesterday but I had inflammation so it should be down more by then. I like my Wed. weigh-ins the most. Realizing how slow it goes no longer bothers me. When the scale creeps down even a lil it's at least not creaping up. I know I will be at goal by June cuz I am not paying Val 1000. I bet her. Sometimes I need those kind of deadlines. Seems like with you and all you have going on, planning would be important. We both know you and I really have to put our foot down to get this done. Hugs, Carol
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Water water water!! Dont drink your calories. And even diet soda/drinks the fake sugar in them your bodies turns it to fat.

What dani said, except this part, this is just wrong, trust me i drink diet pop by the case as i just cant make myself drink enough water to feel full and when i am hungry and its not meal time i drink. If diet pop turned to fat id now be the size of a cube van!
  • somemansdream
    Options
    thanks guys! I appreciate the help :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!