For the Rhythmic Runners...

Options
We know who we are. We are the ones that our bodies fall victim to the rhythm of the music. We have no choice but to walk and/or run to the beat. I am a new runner, working my way through C25K on Week 7. I ran my first mile this last weekend. Yay!

I need help finding music to run to. I know there are a thousand threads with music playlists, and I have a lot of music, but most of it is too slow for running. I have found about 6 songs, but they are going to get old really fast if I don't find something new. I can't just turn on Pandora or something else because if the beat is too slow then I spend my time fighting the rhythm rather then focus on running.

So I came here looking for help. What do you run too? 150 bpm works about perfect for me.

Suggestions???

Replies

• SheriBethB
    SheriBethB Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Try checking out jog.fm You can enter in the minutes per mile and it will give you a list of songs that has the beats to match it.
  • That_car_is_full_of_balloons
    Options
    I don't know the bpm but give this tune a listen:

Faze Action - "Moving Cities"
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Isn't there a way of searching for songs based on BPM in iTunes? I thought you could...
  • hajenkatt
    hajenkatt Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Try checking out jog.fm You can enter in the minutes per mile and it will give you a list of songs that has the beats to match it.

This is such a great resource! Thanks for the heads up!
  • laura6009
    laura6009 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bump x
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm

I went and picked out my fav songs that had a beat I thought would work, and then used the above site. Created a spreadsheet and recorded the bpm
    sorted them and then set it so that I started off slower, picked up to a good tempo, and then brought it back down again - all by music.

took a while, but worked like a charm. :-D
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options

This is exactly what I was going to say. It's perfect bc I have the same issue with songs that are just too slow
  • vchristie0811
    vchristie0811 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Rythmic Runner huh? Hey - that's so totally me! If I'm listening to good music I have to run!! Or, well, at least I used to do that. Before. Waaay before.... So check out Amazon and in the MP3 category search for 'BPM Music' or 'BPM 150' or whatever rate. They have 2,752 BPM-specific MP3 workout albums (that's just a guesstimate here - who'd be so anal-retentive as to actually know? eh-hem). The problem is choosing the one you like the most...I always go for the geeky *Amazing 80's* songs like 'Who let the Dogs Out' and 'Walking on Sunshine'... Hey - and maybe someday again - that could be me :happy:

Feel free to friend me - I need a good cheerleader to get my butt moving again!! (and that goes for anyone by the way)
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options

Thanks for this! What a great idea!
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options

Yes, Thank you. One of my MFP friends suggested it too, today on my news feed. I just looked at it and it is awesome.

Thank you all for the suggestions.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    I downloaded a "running" playlist from i tunes. It took "normal' songs and changed the BPM to I believe around 150..I personally am not a rymthic runner and have found I actually prefer no music..but the playlist was fairly inexpensive..
  • nessiekat3
    nessiekat3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try anything by KC & The Sunshine Band! Also, try Kickstart my Heart and Helter Skelter by Motely Crue; Run to the Hills by Iron Maiden, My Kinda Lover and Lonely is the Night by Billy Squier. Also, if you are using ITunes, try putting "running song" in the search engine. Good luck!
  • ezwryder
    Options

I love this Internet web-thingy. Thank you SheriBeth, and thank you Al Gore!

:smile:
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Isn't there a way of searching for songs based on BPM in iTunes? I thought you could...

You can... but unless you already have the bpm's filled in, you have to analyze your library first with a different program. iTunes doesn't automatically do that. Try beaTunes (about $30 for the full version) or Cadence Desktop Pro ($4 from the App store). Then, you can set up a custom playlist between a range of bpms.