Jogging Strollers?

Options
Hi yall! Anyone with experience with jogging strollers what's better-swivel or fixed front wheel? And good brand that isn't gonna cost and arm and two legs. The regular stroller I have now was over $300, and I can't and won't spend that much for another stroller that will only be used for running. Any suggestions?

Replies

• RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about getting one used? I had a BOB Ironman forever for our jogging stroller, and it held up so well. I used it for almost 5 years and then turned around and sold it to a friend who is still using it (3 years later)!

I had an InStep one (I think it is called Arrow) I bought before baby #2 and I loved that one too. Out of the two, InStep is reasonably priced for brand new. But I didnt like the double InStep so got the Bob.
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options
    My number one suggestion, if you haven't run with a jogging stroller before, try to borrow one and take it out for a test-drive before you spend any money on actually buying one. I have a very expensive, very nice fixed-wheel BOB jogging stroller that is mostly collecting dust in my garage.

It's HARD to run with a jogging stroller. I never realized how much difference pumping my arms makes in my stride, but it makes a LOT of difference and not being able to pump my arms because I was jogging with the stroller made the effort really difficult for me and frankly, took the joy out of running. So for the most part, I now wake up even before the crack of dawn to get my run in before kids wake up. :) My almost-5-year old has said that she wants to run with me so I'm keeping the BOB probably just through this summer to see if she wants to go on any short runs with me and I'll push my son in the stroller since that would keep me at a slower / more manageable pace for my daughter. After that we'll probably sell the BOB on Craigslist or something.

Having said all that, if you're truly going to be using this stroller just for running, and if you mostly run on pavement, what you want is a fixed wheel. The fixed wheel provides more stability at a running pace. However, if you're going to use this stroller for mixed-use and might have it in stores or on walking paths where you need to turn corners, the swivel front wheel is better for maneuverability.

You may be able to find deals by checking your local Craigslist for other suckers like me who got an expensive jogging stroller only to find out that they hate running with a stroller. :)
  • RenewedRunner
    Options
    ^It is hard. I used mine because my husband was deployed for almost 3 years straight and I couldnt leave the kids alone in the house to run. I felt guilty picking them up from daycare even later if i tried to run after work. For me, it worked. I didnt mind it as much as the above poster seems to, though I did pretty much nothing but steady state slow runs every time I ran with them. Speed workouts and jogging strollers were not meant to be mixed!
  • GoffGirl1029
    GoffGirl1029 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have no objections to buying a used one. But if I truly want to start running again, I will have to learn how to run with one. My husband works night shift, and has a 2 hour (round trip) commute, so by the time he gets home he is more than ready to go to sleep and he wakes up in just enough time to get ready to leave for work in the evenings. We don't live close to a gym with childcare and I feel guilty about spending money driving over an hour plus gym membership when I only work about 16 hours a month.
  • vbradylady
    vbradylady Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! It's so hard to run with a jogging stroller. I have a Jeep Jogging Stroller. Not crazy about it because it doesn't turn well and is hard to clean because you have to take it apart to wash the cloth part. I had it for my middle child. I know have a 1 year old and I'm gonna pull it out, reluctantly, but I don't wanna buy another one so I will use the one I have.
  • UneJolieFemme
    UneJolieFemme Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I love my chariot CX2. It is light even with the 2 kids in. It was a bit expensive but as a pp suggested maybe look into a used one ?
  • KristenE83
    KristenE83 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I got a used one from a friend of a friend last summer for free. I started running (jogging?walking? haha you gotta start somewhere) with my son in this jogging stroller. It didn't take long to get used to it, and it was worth getting a used one to try it out. I found that I like the swivel AND fixed wheel feature... I used both depending on if I was walking (swivel) or running (fixed). I hope to pay a little more money this spring on a used but better quality one. I think the one I got was by Baby Trend.... it worked great for me.
  • jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    It is hard (but is a good workout, especially for the triceps, haha) to run with a jogging stroller. If you are looking at serious running (like marathon training) you need a fixed wheel jogging stroller. If you are like me and are just a casual runner you might prefer the swivel wheel with a lock option since you can use it other places (like the to zoo, etc). I have done a 5k with my baby jogger with the swivel/lock wheel and it was fine but if you are serious about running (which I am not) you will end up getting a permanent fixed wheel model. Highly recommend craigslist for this if you are cool with preowned. Good luck!
  • RenewedRunner
    Options
    Since you dont mind used, I would definitely look at things like craigslist or bookoo or whatever classifieds are used in your area.

I saw a BOB stroller around here go for $100, when I know brand new it was $300ish.
  • GoffGirl1029
    GoffGirl1029 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Since you dont mind used, I would definitely look at things like craigslist or bookoo or whatever classifieds are used in your area.

I saw a BOB stroller around here go for $100, when I know brand new it was $300ish.

I got on craigslist and found one! For next to nothin, in comparison to how much they usually cost. Can't wait to go pick it up Saturday. Thank you all for your advice!
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options

I got on craigslist and found one! For next to nothin, in comparison to how much they usually cost. Can't wait to go pick it up Saturday. Thank you all for your advice!

Score! I hope it works well for you! If anyone wants to buy a barely-used BOB that was originally around $350 for about $100 come say, November, let me know. ;)

They definitely work really well for some people. I did a 10K in 2011 where I was eventually passed by a husband/wife who were racing together taking turns with a double jogging stroller. Not that I've ever claimed to be fast, LOL, but still, they passed me. I just hate to see anyone spend full price on an expensive stroller unless they feel pretty certain they will use it.

Anyone who is getting out there with a stroller to get it done has my mad respect. And all that in spades for any mom whose husband has been deployed, let alone for three years! I thank you for your sacrifice. :)