Keep From Eating at Night

Options
I've been having such trouble the past week or so. I will do amazing all day, then I'll get home and just be so hungry, I feel like once I start eating I just can't stop?

Does anyone else have this problem? I've been trying to contain it, and I don't know if it's just because I'm bored, or if it's becasue I'm acutally just hungry, but I keep going over my calories, and (while it hasnt effected me much yet) I know that if I don't kick the snacking it will derail all the progress I've made.

Any tips for staying full, and not eating after dinner without using a ton of calories?

18895238.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I've been having such trouble the past week or so. I will do amazing all day, then I'll get home and just be so hungry, I feel like once I start eating I just can't stop?

Does anyone else have this problem? I've been trying to contain it, and I don't know if it's just because I'm bored, or if it's becasue I'm acutally just hungry, but I keep going over my calories, and (while it hasnt effected me much yet) I know that if I don't kick the snacking it will derail all the progress I've made.

Any tips for staying full, and not eating after dinner without using a ton of calories?

18895238.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

I used to have this problem and I found it was because I was eating too many carbs during the day, so then I'd crash from them and be hungry at night. I'd suggest trying to space out your carbs better and that may help.
  • mhk0719
    mhk0719 Posts: 255
    Options
    I definately struggle with eating when I get home from work! My problem is more while I'm making dinner for the family. I want to sometimes eat everything!!! I have been now choosing to eat some fruit or a yogurt while preparing dinner and feeling good about that. I do not usually want anything after dinner, but if my sweet tooth comes out I have a Skinny Cow ice cream bar or SF jello cup or pudding.
  • heymirth
    heymirth Posts: 448
    Options
    Try using Teeth Whitening strips at night to help you from eating before bed.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you try eating fewer calories during the day and saving those calories so that when your preferred eating time hits (night time) you have calories to spare and you can then eat them without going over your calorie intake goals.
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I have this issue as well. When I first get the snacking urge, I drink a big glass of water. If a half hour later, I am still hungry, then I try to have a reasonable snack: popcorn, yogurt, skinny cow ice cream, etc.. Also, if you brush your teeth, nothing taste good afterwards and you are less likely to want to eat something.
  • allknowingtomato
    allknowingtomato Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this constantly. a few thoughts that have helped me:

Carbs are a huge problem for me. if i have something savory and carby in the house (pasta leftovers, crackers, chips, etc.) then i am risking making some POOR food choices. Same thing with dried fruit (apparently i'm not picky haha.) It's carbs both before and during eating at night that are dangerous for me: the more carefully i chose my carbs early in the day, the better i'm able to control myself at night. if i had a bagel for breakfast, i'd be screwed for the whole day. a breakfast of leftover beef stir-fry (skipping the rice) sets me up much better for good choices.

On days i really binge, i could usually just have gone to bed. there was no reason i "needed" to be up eating. i was up so that i could eat. So getting ready for bed after dinner and "closing" the kitchen helped me somewhat (i stay in my room with a book, it helps). If you're worried that you're bored, just go to bed (with a huge glass of water).

When you say you do "amazing" on days when you overeat at night, are you actually eating too few calories? I did this, it's basically a cycle: you eat too much, the next day you are resigned to do better and are EXTREMELY strict with yourself, and then when 6p rolls around, you still have 1,000+ calories kicking around to spend. if i'm letting myself eat 1,000 cals, it's easy to accidentally eat 1,300! i think having the extra calories tempts you to go back to that "pre-lifestyle change" way of thinking and eating more permissively.

I do better when i eat protein and fiber as an afternoon snack. i'll just mechanically put some celery in my mouth (at this point i'm thinking of it as medicine rather than food!), then i'll have some light string cheese and a hard-boiled egg with hot sauce. This fiber-plus-protein snack really helps me keep things under control in the eveining. Takes the edge off, so to speak.

Exercise. Seriously, just get some, esp. a walk after dinner. it's so helpful for soaking up some extra cals (not many but better if it's substituting for eating time) and generally just investing in your body. knowing you put in the hard work might help nudge you away from the late-night eating. also, working out just makes me calmer and more even-tempered, so i'm more in control at night.

Lastly, i'm a binger, and i know it. i haven't made it a week without bingeing, probably in my adult life. maybe someday i can afford therapy and i'll deal with whatever the root cause is (no idea, i can't put my finger on any real "problems" that could have screwed me up with food besides my mom's obesity and yoyo dieting). In the mean time, i have to budget for it if i want to reach my goals. so i get as much crap OUT OF MY HOUSE as possible. i still struggle with bingeing, but it's not so scary to pig out on an orange, 4c of popcorn, and scrambled eggs with salsa. sure i would eat chips and ice cream, if i had them. but i don't.

at the end of the day, you have to work with yourself. change the habits you can control, learn about and budget for the habits you can't change right now. if you were not a binger or a night eater before your weight loss journey, then this behavior may be the product of your weight loss. our bodies are MEAN, they play all sorts of hormonal games on us to resist losing the weght. track it, study it, learn from it, and be happy!
  • KirstiQue
    KirstiQue Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too. Those crazy cravings at 2 am are a killer. I drink lots of water and make sure I brush my teeth close to my bedtime. That usually helps.
  • lalitacor
    Options
    well I have the same trouble, I could not manage , IT is still with me , my friends told me eat apples, carrots or do exercise, but I am still not doing it , sometimes I can, sometimes I can not,
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    You have done a great job, so do NOT get down on yourself or you will end up getting upset and ..... eating! Your weight loss has been great. This is what I have tried.
    1) Physically, to avoid the hunger:
    -make sure you are drinking all your water. I just bought water bottles and make sure that one is in my hand and the other is in the frig. As soon as I finish one, I fill it and put it back in the frig!
    -Make sure that there is protein in your lunch/snack and dinner--28 almonds, greek yogurt, chicken with brown rice--there are easy proteins around. Apples, bananas with your lunch or 3pm 4pm snack of greek yogurt, banana, nuts
    -Make sure you also try an exercise (I'm terrible at that)
    -I am trying to cut my carbs way back. love white carbs, but this wont' happen if i continue to eat whatever and whenever I want.

2) Mentally, to avoid eating:
    -go to the store and buy a GOOD snack. I bought popcorn, skinny cow ice cream bars. If you have to eat, try to grab something not bad... go down the nature isle. are there protein bars that look like a good snack?
    -do something different in the evening. I end up doing laundry sometimes? (what?) If I want to eat (we have tons of junk food and if i start eating, i will just keep going) so I grab something good and leave the first floor.
    -I go log. log and see what i have done for the day. i usually end up not wanting to ruin the loss, so I grab an apple/popcorn and leave the kitchen.
    Good luck!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I suck on jolly ranchers.
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really really appreciate the tips, there are some great ideas here! :smile:

Cheers! :happy:
  • carfamily08
    Options
    I space my calories out to have more at the end of the day when I'm more hungry.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    I fight this too - usually because I find myself in front of the tv.! But, I've found that more often that not I'm eating out of boredom not hunger. My best bet is to keep my hands occupied - thank god work got me an iphone, because Sudoku keeps my hands busy! I also spend a good deal of time being crafty. Can't have sticky fingers in my art projects =)
  • Ferraro518
    Options
    Pop Chips have been a great snack for me. They come in many different flavors and can be found at wegmanns in the specialty foods section. Also, i think Target may sell them as well. Most flavors are about 120 calories for 16 chips which is plenty to help with a craving.

To help with late afternoon and evening cravings, i also use Chia seeds. When you put a couple teaspoons in water and let sit for a few minutes, they swell and then when ingested, with the water, they help fill you up. It's a little odd because of the concept of drinking them but they have no taste and they do help fill you up a bit. Plus, they are heart healthy and omega-3 rich.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I find that having bigger and healthier breakfast and lunches help me not snack that much during the day and eat a fairly good dinner. If I get snacky after dinner, or while I'm watching TV at night, I'll make myself an almond milk and fruit smoothie.