Tired - need an energy boost!

Options
I workout several times a week and have been trying to eat a more healthful diet.
I feel great after a workout, but the rest of the time I just feel so drained.
I need a good energy booster. Any ideas you can share with me?

I've yawned like 5 times while typing this....

Replies

• stephanie1133
    Options
    How much are you eating? You could very well just need some extra food!
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    Without going in depth into your diet/exercise plan - are you getting enough B vitamins?
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Do you get enough good quality sleep?? I find I need 6-8, when I work out hard sometimes 9, hours of good quality sleep a night.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Could be a matter of what you're eating. My bro and I were just talking about this last weekend. He bought me a blueberry bagel as a treat and after eating it, I felt really bogged down. I rarely eat things like this, and if I do it's before going to the gym so I can burn off some of the carbs and that tends to help with the energy level. Better to get your energy from more long lasting sources like lean proteins and healthy fats and cleaner sources of carbs like fresh fruits and veggies.

I've also heard of people having intolerances to certain foods like dairy that makes them feel bloated and worn out. You could always try to do an elimination diet where you go without the usual suspects (milk, eggs, nuts, wheat/gluten, soy) for 2-4 weeks then slowly introduce these things back in, one at a time, to see how your body reacts.
  • shellym616
    shellym616 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Evachiquita -
    I have a toddler... if that tells you anything!
    I get around 6 - 6 1/2 hours of sleep, which is probably not enough really.
    I have a hard time getting myself to bed earlier because of my busy schedule.
  • shellym616
    Options
    MinnieInMaine -
    You may be on to something! Great idea.... thanks!
    I am probably getting way too many carbs/sugar.
  • shellym616
    Options
    stephanie1133 -
    I get around 1,450 calories per day -- per the website's recommendation. Not sure if that's enough for me.
    Maybe I'm just adjusting? I'm just starting out really.

By the way, awesome job on your weight loss!!!
  • shellym616
    Options
    crobl -
    I'm taking a good multi-vitamin. I'm not sure if I should be feeling the effects by now. I've been taking them saily for about a week.