Tips for getting rid of wobbly thighs!

Options
Hi, I am looking for some tips - whether it be foods to avoid or excersize - to tone and slim down my thighs (I have really awful cellulite) I know that you can not area-target weight loss but was wondering whats the best ways to reduce the size of my thighs.

I am 5'8 and by no means over weight (i weight just under 9 1/2 stone), but every area minus my thighs seem to be in shape. I do up-hill walking at 6KMP for half an hour 5 times a week and do strengthening excersizes like squats, planks, obliques twists etc. I eat relatively well, eg. porridge for BF, wholemeal pitta for lunch and grilled salmon and veg for dinner whilst snacking on fruit or low cal chocolate bar.

Ive been doing this since the start of the year - is this just a case of being patient or is there something i can do?

Would appreciate any guidance x

Replies

• ravinraven718
    Options
    Maybe try running instead of uphill walking? Humans are walkers by design and it's low-impact activity. Running works the muscles in your legs more than just walking. You might like the C25K program. I'm on week 6 day 2 tomorrow and my own woobly thighs are getting stronger.
  • lucyannemountain
    Options
    I always heard that fast walking up hill is a better fat burner than running? I'm not the strongest runner, but i guess thats because i haven't really tried it properly before. I shall have to start and see if i notice a difference! What is the C25K program? x
  • onsugarhill
    onsugarhill Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You may want to look into strength training, which will help you to replace some of that fat with muscle without necessarily losing more weight. Do you know your body fat %?

I carry most of my fat in my thighs as well, and I know the only way I'm going to be able to get rid of it is to reduce my overall body fat %. Even when I was at my lowest adult weight, considered to be slightly under a healthy BMI, my thighs were definitely wobbly.
  • Lconsla
    Lconsla Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

this is the c25k. it gradually gets you into running.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Squats, Lunges, Deadlifts, Hill Sprints and a small calorie deficit.
  • milk_bottle
    milk_bottle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Cassey Ho and Blogilates! She's very perky and motivating and I found it really helped my legs.

http://www.youtube.com/user/blogilates?feature=watch

Also this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJguohCA_Mk
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    This times 1000
  • Vlly4life15
    Vlly4life15 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Heavy Squats

Eat more

Why would you want to go on a diet if you are trying to fill yourself out?
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    put on lean solid muscle with good workouts and lots of protein like this

hot dogs + sharp cheddar + lean hamburg + Thick cut hickory bacon + Sweet Baby rays bbq sauce + TURTLE BURGERS!

turtleburger_zpsd3c3ca9c.jpg

made mac n cheese with bacon bits stuffed jalapeno meatloaf wrapped in apple cider cured BACON!! It...was...epic!!!!

BACONLoaf_zps388e4620.jpg
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    This times 1000
    Seconded.

Also, to add, cellulite is normally a genetics things. You *can* reduce it's appearance by cutting body fat and adding lean mass, but it likely won't ever fully go away.

Accept it and embrace it. Most of us have it, anyways.
  • lucyannemountain
    Options
    You may want to look into strength training, which will help you to replace some of that fat with muscle without necessarily losing more weight. Do you know your body fat %?

I carry most of my fat in my thighs as well, and I know the only way I'm going to be able to get rid of it is to reduce my overall body fat %. Even when I was at my lowest adult weight, considered to be slightly under a healthy BMI, my thighs were definitely wobbly.

No i don't actually. I should find it out really.
    I'm fairly new to strength training - at the moment my knowledge on what to do it pretty limited so i will have to youtube-it!
  • lucyannemountain
    Options
    Heavy Squats

Eat more

Why would you want to go on a diet if you are trying to fill yourself out?

Im not trying to fill myself out as such, I just carry most of my weight on my thighs so I want to shrink and tone them :)
  • lucyannemountain
    Options
    This times 1000
    Seconded.

Also, to add, cellulite is normally a genetics things. You *can* reduce it's appearance by cutting body fat and adding lean mass, but it likely won't ever fully go away.

Accept it and embrace it. Most of us have it, anyways.

I always thought it was due to the fact it's the place where i carry most of my weight. Looks like I need to embrace it!
    Thanks for the advice guys!
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Just adding to the advice that if you've only been trying since the start of the year... it takes time :)

If you haven't, taken some measurements (widest part of your thigh, widest part of your stomach, whatever) and remeasure in 3-4 weeks. Sometimes there's a change, even if it's not super noticeable just by looking.

From my personal experience, through a small deficit, weight training, and some cardio, I've lost about 5 inches around my stomach since June. Slow! But rewarding. Of course, in that time, I'm not sure I've lost an entire inch from my thighs... if I keep going, I think I'm bound to lose a little there eventually, but you can't necessarily pick where the fat comes from. Good luck!