HELP! Need some manly meals! :)

Options
barbiedollgirl
barbiedollgirl Posts: 57 Member
I really want my husband to start losing weight with me BUT I really need some manly (but good for him) meals to help out. He is very very picky. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Replies

• hjay07
    hjay07 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I really want to see what responses you get to this! My husband doesn't need to lose a pound (lucky!) but it's easier for me to eat well when I can make the two of us the same healthy dinner and he is SO picky!

One trick I have found is substituting ground turkey for ground beef in chili, pasta sauce, etc. You really can't tell a difference in things like that and it is soooo much leaner! I need some more good recipes though!
  • IronKitty
    IronKitty Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Need some help with this too!!!
    What does your husband like to eat? Might be easier to go from there
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I think I live with this guy....meat and potatoes, right? My bf is really, really picky. Getting him to try new things is rough. So what I've started doing is tweaking the meals I feed him. For example....he likes to eat meat and lots of it. But financially, buying a pound of hamburger and having it last one meal and a lunch gets really old, so I "beef up" the meat. For example, I make meatballs and use ground chia seeds to bind them instead of eggs and I add seasoning and 3/4 c of italian seasoned bread crumbs. I've also started using a mix of buffalo burger to regular hamburger.

I've heard of making mashed potatoes with some mashed cauliflower in them (don't go all mashed cauliflower...even if covered in butter, garlic and cheese he wont eat them). I've heard rutabagas can be substituted for potatoes in things like roasts, but haven't tried it.

Shish kabobs....buy decent steak, and put in big chunky veggies that he does like, serve on rice pilaf.

I make bisquick chicken pot pie and add cheese and jalapenos to the crust....using all light ingredients and making your own cream of chicken saves calories and sodium, plus for some reason veggies covered in gravy seem to go down easier--mine comes out to about 450 a slice (8 in a 9x11 pan....I think it is pretty generous). If I can find turkey breast on sale...I use that instead of chicken...he doesn't notice the difference AND it's better calorie wise.

Stir fry...my picky hunny wont eat green food much. But...baby corns, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, onions and dice pea pods (because he is too lazy to pick them out) added to diced chicken with a light sauce of beef brother, garlic, ground ginger and light soy sauce (or liquid aminos) really goes over well at my house. The best part about stir fry is you can tailor it to your families likes and dislikes. I never put broccoli or cauliflower in mine, because I know he'll pick it out....but you can add lots of things to stir fry....onions, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, peas, pea pods, carrots, mini corns.

I mix romaine lettuce with iceberg...I think it is better for you. Find what veggies he WILL eat and see if you can make it healthier...aka, corn...use butter spray instead of butter, make mashed potatoes with milk (my bf thinks it needs to be done with sour cream....seriously.)
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Need some help with this too!!!
    What does your husband like to eat? Might be easier to go from there

This is important. My hubby hates all sorts of ground meat and most pork (hates bacon), but loves chicken, seafood, beef, turkey, and lamb. Likewise, the guy will eat green veggies like a champ but can't stand most fruit. I did, however, get him into clementines. Guy won't touch an orange but he'll munch on little clementines all day because they are sweeter, easier to peel, and mostly seed-free.

What are his favorites and his dislikes?
  • AfreezeAdventure
    AfreezeAdventure Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Chicken skewers with red/green pepper and what ever other veggies he enjoys
    Lean steak with bbq'd peppered broccoli
    hot sauce chicken breast with wild rice
    Stir Fry with low cal soya sauce (2 Table spoons is really enough)
    Large Salads with egg, nuts, chicken breast

I mean, all you really have to do is find some stuff he enjoys..Than make that with less calories, while adding healthier foods.
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Bump... I will need to read these replies later :)
  • Joeypox
    Options
    rippedrecipes.co, has really good recipes! I think as a man, you don't want to change the flavor the portion size. Sometimes its best to keep the bold flavor but substituting the ingredients slowly (ie brown rice and lean cuts of meat). Things I have done lately are Flourless Pizza (using cauliflower), Quinoa Jambalaya, Protein cakes/ pancakes/ french toase and a few soups. For me flavor is key so I have like 20 different Ms. Dash's in my house haha.
  • MinisterTom
    MinisterTom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You can friend me and check out my diary every day. I think I eat pretty well.
  • barbiedollgirl
    Options
    He like all the bad stuff! haha He is a meat man. He likes alot of fried but I have gotten him away from that and I do alot of bake meat now.
  • butterbean4283
    butterbean4283 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hungry girl has several manly yet healthy meals. My mom makes a yummy chicken pot pie and my step dad even likes it.

Here is the link: http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/710

Some others:

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1022

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/733 (turkey reuben is really good)

This one is really really good http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/crispy-crunchy-honey-mustard-pretzel-coated-chicken-fingers-recipe

I usually pair it with a salad!
  • jessicahelene
    jessicahelene Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has loved everything I've made for him from skinnytaste.com - Gina does a good job of making recipes healthy without using fake ingredients like splenda, etc and her recipes are easier/cheaper ingredients than those on cleaneatingmag.com and eatingwell.com
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Check out The Hairy Bikers diet recipe book on the web, it's a UK tv programme about 2 bikers who love big food. The recipes are fantastic, filling and very tasty and low cal too. Both chefs have lost lots of weight but the meals are really great for the family. My hubby loves them. Good luck
  • jessicahelene
    jessicahelene Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've also made a couple things from skinnykitchen.com (greek chicken w roasted potatoes and also some lasagna ole) but you have to watch as her recipes will be high in sodium sometimes.
  • PaulFromEssex
    Options
    I really want my husband to start losing weight with me BUT I really need some manly (but good for him) meals to help out. He is very very picky. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Ditch him and get a less picky model ... simples innit! :bigsmile:
  • sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I really want to see what responses you get to this! My husband doesn't need to lose a pound (lucky!) but it's easier for me to eat well when I can make the two of us the same healthy dinner and he is SO picky!

One trick I have found is substituting ground turkey for ground beef in chili, pasta sauce, etc. You really can't tell a difference in things like that and it is soooo much leaner! I need some more good recipes though!

Totally agree. I just swap ground turkey for beef in all my mom's recipes (Lasagna, Meat Loaf, Stuffed Green Peppers, etc.) and I used low-fat cheeses.

Ground turkey tip: When you are browning the meat, stir in a TBSP of Better Than Bouillon - Beef. He will not know the difference!
  • barbiedollgirl
    Options
    Thanks everyone!