Anyone Else doing Low Carb?

Options

Replies

• fluffyfoxx
    Options
    i am LC right now also , I also see no changes when I count calories not to mention the intense cravings I get from eating small amounts of carb . I am trying out the carbohydrate addicts diet because I need to have one normal meal per day

Yay happy to know that someone else doing LC! I haven't heard of the carbohydrate addicts I will look into that!
  • fluffyfoxx
    Options
    The default carb recommendation on MFP is way too high. I modified my macro goals to give me about 100 gms at my average base + exercise calories and lost 70 lbs. in a year.

Check out marksdailyapple.com for more info.

wow nice! thanks for the info I will check it out!
  • tinassofit
    Options
    along with low carb... a few of us as also on no carbs after 3 pm for the month of feb. check out my post on 31/1/2013
  • fluffyfoxx
    Options
    along with low carb... a few of us as also on no carbs after 3 pm for the month of feb. check out my post on 31/1/2013

oh ok! I will! That sounds doable!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    With a hundred pounds to lose you likely have a basal metabolic rate higher than 1200 calories. Eating that low may not be sustainable, and often can lead to weight loss stalls. While I often recommend sticking with a program for 4-6 weeks before trying something new, you might want to look into how many calories your body uses. You need to fuel your body.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

well when I first started the site I tried to eat the calories required but I always felt way too full. 1200 is like almost perfect. I feel full and energized and if I eat more than 1200 a day I feel slugish and bloated.

If you want to yo yo diet forever ignore this good advice and just worry about those carbs for no good reason. The above works for LONG term weight loss which is what you want right?
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Hey..... anybody else smell that?! Smells like, like Broscience... -_- Just cut of 20% of the calories from your TDEE and you will lose weight, simple... as... can... BE >.<
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Wow so many replies so quickly! Umm to answer some of your questions I am watching my calories eating under 1200 calories a day. Yes by low carb I mean good carbs not bad ones. Carbs in veggies ect. Also eating back (or trying to eat back) my exercise calories. I have just lost weight by watching carbs before. I understand it needs to be a way of life.

Also I thought after two weeks it wasn't working because the site said I would loose 2 pounds a week if I ate under that. I have never had a problem eating too many calories I always just pick the wrong foods.

Good to know. Figuring out your BMR is a great idea to see how many calories you need (I stick to 1200 and don't eat back exercise calories but I also have a very slow metabolism). Do you have any food allergy symptoms? IE: when you eat a certain group of foods, do you feel any better or worse? I ask because if you have an intolerance to any food group, cutting things out can be a good idea to see how your body reacts. I've been overweight my whole life and 18 months ago, really cut back on the amount of dairy & gluten I eat, and I feel SO MUCH BETTER, to the point where I sleep better, can exercise every day, etc. If you know you feel better, it makes it easier to stick to a certain eating plan for life :) Last thing: with me (and most women), we may not steadily lose the 2lbs/week that MFP says we're going to lose. I wind up staying exactly the same 3 weeks out of the year, and will lose all of the weight I'm going to lose for the month in 1 week. It's strange to drop 5lbs in 2 days, but that's what happens and the rest of the month is super frustrating (but now I know what to expect!). Good luck!
  • fluffyfoxx
    Options
    With a hundred pounds to lose you likely have a basal metabolic rate higher than 1200 calories. Eating that low may not be sustainable, and often can lead to weight loss stalls. While I often recommend sticking with a program for 4-6 weeks before trying something new, you might want to look into how many calories your body uses. You need to fuel your body.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

well when I first started the site I tried to eat the calories required but I always felt way too full. 1200 is like almost perfect. I feel full and energized and if I eat more than 1200 a day I feel slugish and bloated.

If you want to yo yo diet forever ignore this good advice and just worry about those carbs for no good reason. The above works for LONG term weight loss which is what you want right?

so you are basically saying I should eat the amount they tell me too even though it makes me feel bad? that doesn't seem like good advice to me
  • jillwhite12
    jillwhite12 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm doing low carb (under 30 g / day) and all those carbs come from veggies. I keep my calories under 1200 and my protein intake is at least 76 g / day and it's working great. Lost 20 lbs since january 7th. I'm not weight training either.
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm low carb. My macro ratios are 50/25/25 fat/protein/carb. High fat works very well for me and the things I like to eat, but at 25% carbs, I still have plenty of room for pasta or pizza if I make a minimal amount of effort to fit it in. My regular carbs usually come from veggies, fruit, and dairy. I consume no sugar outside of fruit (though I do use stevia in my coffee and plain yogurt (once in a blue moon for peanut butter cookies)). I lose weight very well with this set up and I have no trouble maintaining it because, again, it works with the things I like to eat.
  • afia233
    afia233 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    yes i am!

tbh, what ive found is that most foods which are high in carbs are also high in calories!
    so by lowering carbs you automatically lower your calorie intake and the protein keeps you fulller for longer i find.

im just worried when i reach my target weight, im going to find it difficult not to go back to carbs...
    lets not lie, carbs make life worth living
  • fluffyfoxx
    Options
    Wow so many replies so quickly! Umm to answer some of your questions I am watching my calories eating under 1200 calories a day. Yes by low carb I mean good carbs not bad ones. Carbs in veggies ect. Also eating back (or trying to eat back) my exercise calories. I have just lost weight by watching carbs before. I understand it needs to be a way of life.

Also I thought after two weeks it wasn't working because the site said I would loose 2 pounds a week if I ate under that. I have never had a problem eating too many calories I always just pick the wrong foods.

Good to know. Figuring out your BMR is a great idea to see how many calories you need (I stick to 1200 and don't eat back exercise calories but I also have a very slow metabolism). Do you have any food allergy symptoms? IE: when you eat a certain group of foods, do you feel any better or worse? I ask because if you have an intolerance to any food group, cutting things out can be a good idea to see how your body reacts. I've been overweight my whole life and 18 months ago, really cut back on the amount of dairy & gluten I eat, and I feel SO MUCH BETTER, to the point where I sleep better, can exercise every day, etc. If you know you feel better, it makes it easier to stick to a certain eating plan for life :) Last thing: with me (and most women), we may not steadily lose the 2lbs/week that MFP says we're going to lose. I wind up staying exactly the same 3 weeks out of the year, and will lose all of the weight I'm going to lose for the month in 1 week. It's strange to drop 5lbs in 2 days, but that's what happens and the rest of the month is super frustrating (but now I know what to expect!). Good luck!

Oh thank you for that information! I have a very slow metabolism too and I don't eat much when I do I feel bad. I do need to make better choices like more greens and I have been getting at least 60 mins of exercise every day! My body doesn't seem to handle bread or sugar well so I have cut back A LOT on them. I don't eat any bread at all and only the sugar that is in things like cream for coffee. Thank you I will also keep in mind that I may not loose for one week and then just drop a lot of weight! You have helped a lot thank you!
  • fluffyfoxx
    Options
    I'm doing low carb (under 30 g / day) and all those carbs come from veggies. I keep my calories under 1200 and my protein intake is at least 76 g / day and it's working great. Lost 20 lbs since january 7th. I'm not weight training either.

yes! this is what happened for me when I was in high school! I need to get back to that! I start Sunday doing under 30g corbs and calories under 1200 just like you! I hope I can loose some now! Thanks!
  • chantell7
    chantell7 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi i highly recommend you the book "Choose to loose by chris powell. its all about carb cycling. it explains the importance of healthy carbs. And the advantage of using them on every other day . I wish everyone could read this abook , i found it so motivating
  • fluffyfoxx
    Options
    I'm low carb. My macro ratios are 50/25/25 fat/protein/carb. High fat works very well for me and the things I like to eat, but at 25% carbs, I still have plenty of room for pasta or pizza if I make a minimal amount of effort to fit it in. My regular carbs usually come from veggies, fruit, and dairy. I consume no sugar outside of fruit (though I do use stevia in my coffee and plain yogurt (once in a blue moon for peanut butter cookies)). I lose weight very well with this set up and I have no trouble maintaining it because, again, it works with the things I like to eat.

nice! thank you for the reply! I was like this once upon a time and I would like to get there again, I like meats its just the veggies I have trouble getting in. lol I don't like pasta so I don't have a problem with that, but I love bread and sugar....though I am cutting it out. lol thanks again for the reply! I am not alone!
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    PS, go here for the main low carb forum: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/411-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group-

You will find more people with legitimate experience with low carb diets and less people pushing IPOARM. Personally, I try to eat between 1200 (MFP's recommendation) and 1500 calories (heybales' calculation), usually landing somewhere in the middle.
  • Sorashi
    Options
    I am trying since I hit a plateau. Been like 3 weeks or so logging all my food to track my macros. I am eating around 100-120 grams of carbs, from those only 15 come from bread, and the rest from fruits, vegs and nuts. I wanted to cut them down 90 but I would either have to give up on bread, or fruits, or both :/
    I've noticed eating less carbs has done me much good, my weight comes off easier
  • fluffyfoxx
    Options
    yes i am!

tbh, what ive found is that most foods which are high in carbs are also high in calories!
    so by lowering carbs you automatically lower your calorie intake and the protein keeps you fulller for longer i find.

im just worried when i reach my target weight, im going to find it difficult not to go back to carbs...
    lets not lie, carbs make life worth living

I agree with you there carbs are yummy, but I think I can keep eating low carb and have the carbs I want a day to satisfy me! I just need to find how many carbs I can eat and still lose. Then when I get to the weight I want add back in carbs and see how many I can eat to maintain the weight I want. At least that sounds like it would work.
  • fluffyfoxx
    Options
    Hi i highly recommend you the book "Choose to loose by chris powell. its all about carb cycling. it explains the importance of healthy carbs. And the advantage of using them on every other day . I wish everyone could read this abook , i found it so motivating

Oh nice! I always love new information! I will totally check it out. Thanks!
  • fluffyfoxx
    Options
    PS, go here for the main low carb forum: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/411-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group-

You will find more people with legitimate experience with low carb diets and less people pushing IPOARM. Personally, I try to eat between 1200 (MFP's recommendation) and 1500 calories (heybales' calculation), usually landing somewhere in the middle.

oh thanks! I will!