Tracking - What do you keep a strict eye on?

Options
Tracking - What do you keep a strict eye on in your 'diet'//healthy lifestyle?

Calories? Certain number of carbs/fat/sodium/protein? Only organic? At least 'X' amount of this//No higher than 'X' amount of this? Nothing at all?

All opinions welcome :)

Replies

• ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I keep an eye on sugar if it is not from "real" food - for example, if I'm getting 30 g of sugar from fruit, I don't really count it but if it's from processed junk, I try to keep away from it. Also, I don't mind if I go over on my protein but I really try to stay under on my calories and carbs. Lastly, I try to go over on my fiber every day. :) Oh, and I always try to aim for 14 cups of water instead of 8!!
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have insulin resistance, so I have to be militant about my carbs and sugar.
  • ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    stay under my calorie goal, meet or go over on protein, meet or go over on fiber and track sodium so i know if i need to drink more water when i go way over on sodium
  • elaineirene84
    elaineirene84 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I keep an eye on sodium. I am always over fiber and try to get a lot of protein.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have insulin resistance, so I have to be militant about my carbs and sugar.

This. But I go after my protein to keep it up at 40%.
  • Progman
    Progman Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    At this point - being in maintain/build mode - more than anything, I keep an eye on my sodium/potassium levels. I always try and come in under the max. daily sodium level and go over in potassium. Failing that, I make sure that my potassium levels are always higher than my sodium intake

Second is calorie intake....I need to make sure I'm eating enough to build muscle.
  • ladycoy
    ladycoy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have gallstones and am on a low fat diet , so i make sure i am no where near the fat goal, otherwise just as close as i can to the parameters
  • kakar0t
    Options
    Calories, carbs, protein and fats. Then I eyeball fibre, just for completions sake.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Calories. I'm keeping it simple (for now).
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Sugar and calories... always try to keep them below my daily allowance... also try to keep protein up... but I must admit I do not track my fluids.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Carbs and calories.

I also note sodium, but mostly as I swoosh past the limits.
  • Dennish68
    Dennish68 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    For me, it is my sodium because i know that can make my weight fluctuate even a few pounds. t is good to watch my sodium also because it forces me to make better food choices and cook more food at home so i have control over how much salt i use. It is unbelievable how much sodium is in processed foods and even worse is restaurant foods! TO me, there is just no need for a deli sandwich to have 2000-3000mg sodium or a plate of pasta with meatballs. So I have definitely cut down on the amount of times i eat out; and a bonus....i SAVE MONEY! :-)
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Sodium. Funny how everything else just falls in to line.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I keep close eye on my sodium and sugar intake. Those are sneaky little f---ers. They are in almost everything, so they add up super easy. I buy all organic because those have the least, if not no additives or preservatives. Which are exactly what sodium and sugar are, additives and preservatives. Completely unnecessary when not naturally in food.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Sodium is really the only number I am concerned about.
  • jgollnick
    jgollnick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am obsessive about my carb intake. The only sugar I take in is natural from fruits and vegetables. Any other carbs I make sure has a good amount of dietary fiber (Slow Carbs)
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I watch my macro ratio, calorie total, exercise, fiber, sodium and most other micronutrients.... I am really interested in total health and have watched my blood pressure go from 145/95 to 122/82 and pulse rate go from 92 to 64. These numbers are every bit as important to me as that one on the scale.
  • xscarletXbegoniasx
    Options
    Refined Sugar.. It's extremely terrible for you and hidden in almost everything now a days. I try to limit myself to just fruits and maybe a treat in the morning from time to time.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I mainly use it just to keep me aware of what and how much I'm eating. I'm a salt addict, so never low there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    1. Calories
    2. Macro goals - 40c/30p/30hf...this has drastically improved my blood work in RE to blood sugar and triglycerides. I try to have as little refined/added sugar in my diet as possible, but I do eat fruit (2-3 servings daily) and 4-6 servings of veg daily.
    3. Micros - Saturated Fats and Sodium due to hypertension and high cholesterol