Fiber

Options
Can you have too much fiber?

Replies

• rmkramer003
    rmkramer003 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yes. If you eat more fiber than your body is used to, you will feel gassy, bloated, crampy and have loose bowels (or constipation depending on how your body reacts). If you want to increase your fiber, you should do it slowly to allow your body to adjust.
  • halliebrianne
    Options
    Yes. I actually had too much fiber today and yesterday from blueberries, broccoli and Kashi cereal and it makes your stomach hurt and move your bowels too fast!
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Just increase your intake gradually... doing it too suddenly can cause unpleasant side affects as mentioned lol. Fiber is good for you though. I shoot for minimum of 25 g. Yesterday I ate 41 g :happy:
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I googled this recently and I came up with the recommended minimum allowance being 18g
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    too much fiber can also mess with nutrient uptake. If I remember correctly any intake higher than 38 g/day and you will start having problems with nutrients.
  • bpn80
    bpn80 Posts: 43
    Options
    One easy way to get fiber is to use something like Metamucil (there are lots of different products, but this one works for me). 3X a day in a glass of water-fiber and water at the same time!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    yeh over 60g can make nutrient absorbtion harder and you will look bloated... maybe like 50g for females aim for 20g minimum a day maybe 30-40g optimal