BMR-not using online calculators?

Options
Is there a way to know your true BMR?

I've tried to do some research and I have found that a cpl things I have could make my BMR lower than the average person at my height/weight/age. I have a thyroid condition that I am currently trying to get under control, (test, wait 4 weeks, change dosage, test, wait 4 weeks, change dosage, etc) so I do have a slower metabolism and a low internal temperature. My normal body temperature is about 96.5 and I read that it could affect your BMR as well.
So my question is... Is there a test that can tell you personally what your BMR is? If so, Who would perform that test, a dr?, a nutritionist, a gym, etc? If I wore a fit bit or something similiar for 24hrs and had a normal day(rest day from workouts) would that be a way to get a good idea?

Here are the 2 things I read that pertained to me regarding BMR:

"Body Temperature/Health. For every increase of 0.5C in internal temperature of the body, the BMR increases by about 7 percent. The chemical reactions in the body actually occur more quickly at higher temperatures. So a patient with a fever of 42C (about 4C above normal) would have an increase of about 50 percent in BMR. "
and
"Glands. Thyroxin (produced by the thyroid gland) is a key BMR-regulator which speeds up the metabolic activity of the body. The more thyroxin produced, the higher the BMR. If too much thyroxin is produced (a condition known as thyrotoxicosis) BMR can actually double. If too little thyroxin is produced (myxoedema) BMR may shrink to 30-40 percent of normal. Like thyroxin, adrenaline also increases the BMR but to a lesser extent. "

Please forgive my ignorance on the topic, hoping someone here could give me some more information.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    bumping in hope of some input :)
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    As far as I know, an RMR (resting metabolic rate) test most accurately reflects your true BMR. I'm trying to get one done myself, but I'm having trouble locating a facility to get it done at. I e-mailed about four or five local medical centers about it but haven't heard back from any of them yet after several days. I'm going to talk to my doc and see if I could get a reference.
  • sds76
    Options
    thank you, I will call around too.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    If you live in a town with a major university or even some fitness clubs can do a measure of your carbon dioxide output which will measure your caloric needs. Look around online see what they offer in your town.
  • sds76
    Options
    thanks...we do have a major university here and several gyms/fitness centers. Thank you
  • sds76
    Options
    found a place that will do the test. So for those that are looking for it, try your local hospital, if they have a wellness center.

I called mine and they will do it for $50 and you do not have to be part of their weight loss program to have it done. YAY!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    A doctor can test for a more accurate number.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    That's a bargain! I paid $125 for my RMR test at our local university. It may not turn out what you expect though. I have PCOS and hypothryoidism and fully expected mine to come in under the online estimators. It turns out to be 10% higher! Overall a good thing, but surprising, none the less.

I also had my body fat percentage tested the same day, which turned out lower than the online estimators. This is probably why my RMR was higher - higher than average muscle mass.