green tea versus water

Options
Hi, I have been told in the past that green tea can be counted as water, anyone have knowledge on this? We all know that it is hugely anti-cancer, and helps in weight loss, and I drink heaps, a habit I picked up in China.
cheers

Replies

• grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I count as water. :)
    Don't have any knowledge on it, just it works for me. :) Haha
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Most of the research is on standardised green tea extract not home brewer green tea which is massively weaker in antioxidants.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I count black tea as water (actually I don't log water on here, but I do try to ensure I drink enough of it). Research has shown that caffeine junkies (which I am) don't get dehydrated from drinking caffeine. Drinking more caffeine than your body's habituated too may have a dehydrating effect, so it would be best to match higher than usual intake of caffeinated drinks with extra non-caffeinated drinks. Green tea doesn't contain as much caffeine as black tea, so unless you never usually drink caffeine at all I think it would be fine to count it as water, as it will be hydrating you.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I only count it as far as the water in it towards my water for the day.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I count it as water.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I would count it as water, though I don't drink it... I don't like the way it tastes, unfortunately.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been told in the past that green tea can be counted as water, anyone have knowledge on this? We all know that it is hugely anti-cancer, and helps in weight loss, and I drink heaps, a habit I picked up in China.
    cheers

Count it as water but the rest of it is bunk. Green tea hasn't been proven to be anti cancer and the weight loss effects are only minimal amount you get from drinking caffeine. Enjoy it, log it but don't look for any huge health benefits beyond hydration.
  • lestabeads
    Options
    hey, can you give me anything to support your assertion that it is not anti-cancer? Where is that info from? My medical family say that it is. Thanks for responding though. Cheers
  • lestabeads
    Options
    so if I'm drinking leaf tea, the antioxidants are less? Thanks
  • lestabeads
    Options
    thank you all for your thoughtful responses