Trouble hitting calorie goal...

Options
I am having trouble eating my calorie goal without eating empty calories... like today, I had granola cereal for breakfast... macaroni & cheese for lunch... and I've had 2 snacks and I'm STUFFED and it's already 630PM and I still have nearly 600 calories left... what are some healthier calorie dense foods?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    What are empty calories?

So, you're saying you haven't had dinner and you're stuffed? How did you gain weight in the first place if you have trouble eating more? Also, what does it being 6:30pm have to do with anything?

Grab a jar of peanut butter (or nutella if you don't like pb) and eat a few spoonfuls. NOM NOM.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    if you open your diary it would be easier to give advice.
  • hmp1130
    hmp1130 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Empty calories like boxed macaroni & cheese, or ice cream, and things like that... I've opened my diary up... I mean I always feel full and am dreading eating more, but when I was only eating 600-1000 calories a day I stopped losing weight after the first 15 lbs.

Is it possible to have gotten fat by not eating much? It sounds silly and not possible, but I realized I am eating 2-3x the food I normally did. Before I would eat 1 meal a day and it would be 400-500 calories and then take in about 800-1000 calories in soda... and then on the odd occasion I would go out to eat and have 2000-3000 at once, but that was only 1-2 times a month... so calculating it out I should have lost a lot of weight, but I think I was in constant starvation mode. Now that I'm eating nearly 1800 calories a day I'm dropping 0.3-0.6lbs a day. I am happy about the losses, but it makes me feel silly that I might actually be fat because I WASN'T eating...

A lot of my weight I know came from being on a certain medication for 10 years, but it was my only option and then once I had all the weight, I was always barely eating so I think I ended up in starvation mode. I feel so stupid saying that, but when I was logging my calories on another site, eating normal before joining MFP, I only ate 500 (some days 1000) in food and then about 1000 in soda and then on the odd occasion poor choices at restaurants/buffets
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Healthy high calorie foods:

- nuts, nutbutters, seeds (peanuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, sunflower seeds etc.)
    - avocado (high in healthy fats)
    - oils like olive oil, non-refined coconut oil
    - fatty fish
  • lifesigns64
    Options
    Sometimes I can't force myself to eat all my calories, and most days are under, but then I have some days where I am over when I splurge, seems like when I'm eating healthy foods, I get full faster . . and then on the "good" days have trouble getting my calories in as well.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Do you think that it could have to do with eating the Kashi type foods which have alot of Fiber for some of the varieties? I try to fit in 5 small meals a day rather than 3 large and a snack which seems to help. The suggetion of nut butter or avocado is a good one also. Good luck!
  • hmp1130
    Options
    I have been eating a lot of Fiber... and adding Flax seed to a lot of my foods to help, even added some to my pudding when I made it.
  • Beautifulsoull
    Options
    Try cutting out as much processed food as you can. They are high calories and bad for you. Go for fruits and veggies. High healthy fats. You might feel stuffed right now, but I'm sure you'll get hungry again before bedtime.

You can gain weight by not eating much, its possible, but all depends on your body and how it reacts to food/no food. Some can eat only 2 healthy meals a day and a snack and be fine, others have to eat up to 6small meals a day. Find out what your body wants and work with it. You'll hit bumps in the road before you know what your body needs.

Also cut out the sodas, your feeling full from drinking the calories instead of eating them. Having them every once in awhile isn't a problem.
  • Blondesaurus_Rex
    Options
    I understand you want to follow your plan and eat as many calories as it says, but don't fill up on unhealthy stuff just to have the calorie intake. Eat healthy foods too and stay confident(: you are beautiful!!!!
  • hmp1130
    Options
    I have been soda free for 3 months now (except for the occasional diet root beer)... I had to cut out caffeine because it was hurting my heart and the sodium was killer... I just never thought I would be searching for calories to consume while trying to lose weight, but I love the nut/ nut butter ideas, I could nosh on cashews all day.
  • Beautifulsoull
    Options
    I would suggest that you google some healthy recipes to start using. Or you can do what I do now a days. What ever is in my house I make a healthy meal out of it. I've made home made pizzas using whole wheat tortillas, marinara pasta sauce (you dont even need much, just a tbsp) you can use whatever meat on it, and add TONS of veggies or just do a veggie pizza only. Do a whole wheat pasta meal with diced chicken and tons of veggies. You can make your favorite meals into healthy meals. You can go onto Skinnytaste.com and look at the recipes there, theres even a recipe for baked mac n cheese.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Hi hun, looked at your dairy and it is not good quality food that you are eating, alot of it is crap food, processed food , where are the fresh veggies, salads , complex carbs, lean protein?Yes the food you are consumimg will keep you from losing weight. Cut out the dairy, white sugar , white flour, add in some brown rice , quinioa, whole wheat pasta 1/2 cup serving , kraft mac& cheese is not healthy. ton's of water, When you start eating the right calories you will not be hungry.