HELP, GYM day 1

Options
HI. My name is Isabel, I am 5'2" 173 lbs currently. Weight problems have always been part of my life, since being laid this past december. I spend most of my days at home, in a semi depressed state, i dont go out much, i job hunt online, i take showers, i feed myself... I will leave the house to grocery shop or take care of something that i cant do over the phone or on the internet... Sad! I know!! After a month and a half of this this past weekend I have decided to take the time that I have and invest in getting the body and weight that I have always dreamt off lol my goal is to loose 50lbs... Intensions are all good, until its time for action, I got a gym membership yesterday and attended a cardio class. I am sorry to repost that i only lasted 15mins hahaha sad but true! The first 5mins were warming up, i was convinced that i could do that class break a sweat and take another hr class if i felt the need to continue to impress myself hahaha... I did break a sweat! I was not doing anything outrageous, i followed the instructor, and tried to keep good posture and engaged my muscles... but after 15mins I felt so so sick, i felt light headed and wanted to through up. I panicked and left the class, came back home and took a 5 hour nap hahaha (I never nap) I woke up feeling better. I dont have a history of any medical problems. I concluded that I am incredibly unfit.
*I would appreciate if i could get some guidance from anyone who has passed this stage of exercise but managed to persist and loose weight, i would also like to know what to expect. All the hints and tips will be greatly appreciated.
Thank-you

Replies

• medeamama
    medeamama Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Take it slow! If that was your first outting, good for you for making it through 15 minutes!

I see so many girls try to blast through a ton of classes in one week, and never return to the gym!

How about starting on the treadmill, just walking? Build up your endurance! Also, talk with the instructor. Maybe there are ways to modify the movements to make it easier for you. You are moving around a lot more weight than some of the other participants who weigh less, remember! If you get winded, try just marching in place until you catch your breath!

Just don't give up! You can do it!
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Those cardio classes are hard. I have been doing them for about 2 years now and they are still hard for me. Just make sure you drink enough water. When I don't get enough water, I get light headed at the gym. Just take it slow and stick with it. :) That was my starting weight and I am 5'2. I lost 45 pounds and have managed to keep it off for a while now. Feel free to add me if you want some support. :)
  • ALHickok
    Options
    I feel ya. I'm pretty new, and I always have good intentions but I always get to the gym and I'm clueless. I'm exactly where you stand, 5'2" and 173 lbs. Just try to go at it slow and ease yourself into it. Right now my goal is to stick with my cardio for a little bit and the slowly add things in. I have to learn this myself, but one day of mess up if fine, don't let it turn into a week. Good luck and stay positive. You've got good intention and motivation, that's the first step.
  • usmc73
    usmc73 Posts: 18
    Options
    Make sure you drinking plenty of water, and eating healthy. Start out slow even if its just some brisk walks, and then push yourself a little harder when you feel ready to. Also you could get a trainer some gym's offer them for free.
  • Clemsonlkg
    Clemsonlkg Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    At 5' tall and 196 pounds, I could only walk for 10 minutes at a time, and I thought I was going to have a heart attack! Gradually, I added more and more exercise, and it got easier as I lost more and more weight. Just do what you can do and push yourself a little. As long as you don't give up you WILL get there! Don't let what everyone else is doing or what you think you "should" be doing discourage you. Focus on what you can do today to make your life a little bit better. Good luck, and don't give up!
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Talk to the instructor or other people who work there and ask about classes for beginners or how to modify movements for new people. Most should be pretty helpful.

But I do agree that walking is the first and foremost exercise to do, it will help you build strength and stamina. You can do that at the gym, and on your own.

Dont be discouraged if you see others going faster and/or going farther than you. It took them time to get to that point, just like it will you. I am using the Couch to 5K running program and I am slow. I see people on the treadmill practically WALKING faster than I can run! But I dont let this bother me because I will get there one day.

Feel free to FR me if you like.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I am a 45 year old man and a 45 minute walk kicked my *kitten* last Saturday. I have been eating healthy for about 3 weeks and have lost weight, so last saturday I decided it was time to start incorporating some exercise. My usual day is pretty sedentary. I have a desk job.

I went for my walk in the morning and I fell asleep very tired at 8pm. I usually stay up to around 11pm. I was exhausted.

The walk went fine and I didn't really break a sweat or anything, but it still wiped me out. So just imagine what 15 minutes of vigorous aerobic type exercise would have felt like.

You need to take it slow but you also need to get out of your comfort zone a little bit and keep improving. Don't expect to suddenly be able to run. You are just learning to walk again. But you will get up to speed if you stick with it and don't quit.
  • SunshineGirl140
    SunshineGirl140 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you like setting goals and tracking data, you might want to use the treadmill for a while, because it's fun to see how little bits of progress can really add up. Just start at whatever is comfortable for you in terms of speed, incline, and time walked to get a baseline, then try to improve one of those just a little bit each time out.

Those classes can be really hard and intimidating, but exercise doesn't have to be!
  • Oakley82
    Options
    My best advice (I'm just starting out) that I've learned through trial and error is not to do *too much, too soon*. Take baby steps. It isn't a race. You'll end up traumatizing yourself and just giving up. I'm still in the stage of walking on the treadmill, about 3.5 (I'm short too = short legs) and I get my heart rate up. Its not much, but it's better than nothing! Stick with it!
  • fatbegoneblog
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for your Kind, Supportive and suggestive replies! I appreciate it!
    I Just got home for a 40 min walk, I'm tired but i feel much more empowered than yesterday :)
    My goals for this week have changed all thanks to you guys:
    *Drink more water during my workout
    *Walk for the next week, instead of a cardio class at least for the next few weeks
    *get the couch to 5k app
    :)
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    And remember that everyone is at different fitness levels. Those people you see just breezing through the class might have been just like you at one point. Everyone starts somewhere. If you put 100% into the workout then you've had a good workout, no matter how long it was. Try not to compare yourself with others - your 100% is not going to be the same as someone else's 100%. I started bootcamp 80lbs heavier than I am right now. I couldn't keep up with anyone in anything but I wouldn't let that stop me. A few weeks ago one of the "newbies" told me "Gosh, I'm dying. Why is this so hard for me? You make it look so easy". That made me feel really good (also reminded me that I might need to up my intensity a little since it seemed "easy"). I showed her my before pic and let her know that it can be done.
  • fatbegoneblog
    Options
    Thanks so much!!!!!
    Ill keep that in mind when the burn kicks in, you are right, my 100% is different
    And remember that everyone is at different fitness levels. Those people you see just breezing through the class might have been just like you at one point. Everyone starts somewhere. If you put 100% into the workout then you've had a good workout, no matter how long it was. Try not to compare yourself with others - your 100% is not going to be the same as someone else's 100%. I started bootcamp 80lbs heavier than I am right now. I couldn't keep up with anyone in anything but I wouldn't let that stop me. A few weeks ago one of the "newbies" told me "Gosh, I'm dying. Why is this so hard for me? You make it look so easy". That made me feel really good (also reminded me that I might need to up my intensity a little since it seemed "easy"). I showed her my before pic and let her know that it can be done.