tracking macros

Options
i'm not overly concerned about most of the various macros we can track. i have the standard carbs, fat and protein and i am watching my sugar as i like to eat a lot of high sugar fruits. so that leaves me with 1 more. which would you consider more worthwhile to watch, fiber or sodium? i know both are kind of important from opposite ends of the scale...

Replies

• lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I do fiber, mainly b/c I've had digestive issues before(constipation) and so I wanted to make sure I was getting enough to help with that. But that's just a personal reason...as far as what would be more important for overall health, I don't know.
  • jackzlukasik
    jackzlukasik Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I hadn't thought about it until now but I would prefer to look at sodium unless Fiber was something you find you regularly lack and regularity is an issue. I know I'm more likely to have high sodium meals when I'm in a rush or don't plan well so that keeps me from going way over. I could see how Fiber might be more important though.
  • netski19
    Options
    Has anyone ever tried the paleo diet (aka caveman diet)?
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever tried the paleo diet (aka caveman diet)?

that's what i'm following, well primal rather than paleo. and why i'm tracking my sugar closely.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    If you have any histoy of HBP in your family then I would monitor your sodium. If you have trouble eating enought fruits/veggies and whole grains then I would monitor your fiber. I leave sugar out becuase that is factored into my carb macro and monitor both fiber and soduim.
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    I'd choose fiber - explains a lot if I'm low yet I'm feeling hungrier than usual or not pooping on the regular. No need to track sugar really as eating a piece of fruit will throw your numbers all off and that can be frustrating for some people.
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I tracked sodium for a while and was shocked to see how high the sodium is in many prepared foods!! After I felt that I had a good sense of which foods I need to avoid and I had memorized the goal sodium level, I switched to fiber. sort of working through them one by one. I still go to reports and view the week for the ones I don't track daily, just to see if I am staying in the range. I really love how aware this has made me of what I eat!
  • JKE6428
    JKE6428 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sodium .... Mine is ridiculously HIGH!!! :/ And definitely need to improve that!!! But in my food diary I have both on there!
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice. i may leave the sugar for a while. i avoid processed sugar so the sugar i get is naturally in the foods i eat. i'm concerned about sodium as my maternal grandfather's blood pressure could jump 100 points after 1 meal, he was incredibly sensitive. and both my grandmothers had low blood pressure. i'd like to find ad maintain the happy medium.
    i know i don't get enough roughage to keep my fiber as high as i'd like, and while i'm trying to improve that, it's a long road ahead...
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Sodium .... Mine is ridiculously HIGH!!! :/ And definitely need to improve that!!! But in my food diary I have both on there!

I think I will put it back too. I am eating some new foods which might add up fast1