1000 calories or less a day

Options
1235»

Replies

• shougnette
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, i'm finding it difficult to eat over 1000 cal too ,but because i feel full (but it migth be my brain telling me im full insted of my stomach ...) All my support in your effort :wink:
  • BranMuffin947
    BranMuffin947 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing! :heart:
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i also did the under 1,000 cal thing for a big stretch in 2005. result : lots of weight lost, lots of muscle lost, and a screwed up metabolism. i was up 20 pounds 2 years later, but i had lost 90 or so by then, so it wasn't a total loss.

on round two of the diet, i did it the right way, with healthy eating and exercise. that has been sustainable. i lost the 20 pounds plus more to put my entire weight loss at 110. after that, i quit smoking, and i didn't gain it back. i still do maintenance to this day.

the 900 calorie a day thing gave fast results for a while, but it wasn't worth it, and i wouldn't do it again. exercise plus moderate calorie deficit is the way to go.
  • divacowgirl
    Options
    I've been trying to consume 1000 calories thinking I'd lose weight far quicker. After reading your post and the replies, I'm going to up my calories in hopes of reaching a long term healthy weight. Thanks so much!
  • CandiSki
    CandiSki Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bump. I want to read later.
  • Ken1Lutheran
    Ken1Lutheran Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that post; it's a good reminder not to go crazy with this. I've lost almost 20 pounds in the last two months without a crash diet.
  • clanmcvicar
    clanmcvicar Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Possibly that is the most incredible thing I have read to date, regarding the weight loss battle, and the emotions surounding it. And trust me, I have read a LOT - and rarely do I comment.
    What a coureagous amazing person you are for accepting this as a problem, and then trying to improve your situation. I congradulate you on your efforts, and sincerely hope you can get your head around your situation and make your life a better place to be exisiting in.
    Take special care of your self, and remember we only have one body and one life, and we need to respect and nourish it every single day.:flowerforyou:
  • gemzpony1
    Options
    hi thanks for telling your story. i read it all and i figure if you help jus one person it was worth your time posting. sometimes not very often but sometimes ive been tempted to lower calories to an unsafe level but after reading your story it really makes you think and i know to do it the right way and stick to that. thankyou and good luck take it one day at a time
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you for sharing that story. I'm glad that you're trying to do things differently. It's strange how we tell ourselves things, start to really believe it, and then go to more and more extremes just because we think we can. I tried the all-or-nothing approach to weight loss so many times, and each time I gave up. I still have days where my old beliefs creep in, but MFP is a great place to find support and encouragement.

I don't know you, but I'm proud of you for taking charge like you are. I wish you good luck!
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Been there, I'm you! Except my issue was 1200 calories. I exercised at LEAST an hour EVERY SINGLE DAY (all while working 80 hrs a week) usually aiming to burn around 1,000 calories. Never "ate back" calories. Anyone who tried to explain the science behind what was wrong with that couldn't get through. You couldn't argue with my facts- I lost about 100 pounds. I figured, we're all different, and this is what worked for me. Except, it didn't. Eventually, I binged. When the scale didn't move for a few weeks (body holding ont fat because you aren't nourishing it properly = "plateau" I'd binge which would cause massive and swift weight gain (metabolism was damaged and trying to overcompensate) and the vicious cycle would go on....

In addition to being down 100+ pounds I had low muscle tone, deflated boobs and loose skin.

I'm not going to try to change anybody's mind about how many calories they should eat but I sure am glad that I can see where I went wrong and that now I am eating 400-800 MORE calories a day and STILL losing WHILE maintaining AND building muscle that was never there before. I'm glad that the number on the scale doesn't determine my progress as my body is changing regardless of what it says as long as I am true to my goals. It's so nice to be able to have a night of Chinese food and birthday cake and not gain weight. It's great to feel strong, full when I need to be and in control of this journey of mine.

I hope everyone finds their way here.
  • Pixie8504
    Pixie8504 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing this. For a long time i ate under 1000 calories and was at 108 to 110 pounds at 5 foot 5 inches. This was a result of losing about 30 pounds when I started.. People asked me often if I was sick. You could see my rib cage clearly. my doctor told me I was under weight as well but i would not listen. Was down to a size 0. In the past 1 1/2 to 2 years

i gained weight when increasing calories. I stay now between 123 and 125 pounds. Comments I get now is that my weight is better and I look healthy. That I should not try to lose any weight. That number still bothers me on the scale though. My goal this year is to worry less about the number on the scale and just work on toning. I try hard to only get on the scale once a week.

I am concerned about putting on any more weight. I hover around 1200 calories each day. Many think I don't eat enough. I exercise every day. And feel bad if I miss a day. I do have some days I am still at or under 1000 but fewer and farther between. So I can identify with others on here and am thankful for those that have given me support and suggestions along the way.

Thanks for this post.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm usually a bit below 1000....but only been counting for a month, it's a natural thing for me as a vegan though, just happens that way. I went over one day though, heh heh. I could relate to your story when I was a teenager though, it was pretty rubbish, with the dizziness and everything else you mentioned too; binges, starvation.... I love food too much now to fall back into that and even at 800 or 900 I'm still eating a large volume of foods and my bloods all come back with two thumbs up. Perhaps I'm special ;)

You're very brave though, and your words are very touching x
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 204 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hello,

This topic has been locked due to the nature of the conversation on the thread. Please keep in mind the guidelines when posting and in particular guideline #3 which states:
    3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Cheers,
    Scott
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.