Afternoon snacking overload???

Options
I can usually keep a healthy and balanced diet all day, but when it comes to around 3:30-4:00, I always seem to throw everything off track. It starts off with a craving for a snack, but after one snack, I always start having more. Eventually I snack until I feel ashamed of myself and I feel too guilty to continue tracking my nutrition that day. Does anyone know what I'm going through or know how to stop this habit? :/ I know it's a problem but no matter what I do, I can't seem to fight it. Please help :embarassed:

Replies

• raiderzara
    raiderzara Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein in your lunch. Make sure you are drinking enough water. Avoid starchy, carby, sugary junk. When you get tired/irritated/snacky in the afternoon, it is usually because of low blood sugar. The body's natural response is to grab carbs for that quick burst of energy...but then your blood sugar spikes, your body releases insulin to deal with it, your blood sugar drops again, and you reach for another snack. Protein and healthy fats will help slow down the release of sugars into your blood stream and keep you on a more even keel.
  • Aiku21
    Aiku21 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    :) thank you soooo much
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Ditto the suggestion on protein at lunch. That helps me a lot

Also, I pack my lunch AND also my morning and afternoon snack-- basically everything between breakfast and dinnertime in one lunch bag, and go ahead and log it into MFP before I leave for work.

There's something visually and psychologically satisfying about seeing ALL THAT FOOD in one place and knowing that I CAN EAT IT ALL because it's already accounted for!!!

Typically, I'll pack a couple of pieces of fruit, and two kinds of raw crudite veggie (carrot sticks, celery sticks, cherry tomatoes, snap peas, jicima, etc.), and rarely a granola-type bar or some snack crackers, and there are many days that I DON'T eat it all. . . . but I always know that I can!
  • amandainez08
    amandainez08 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I also have this problem. I haven't lost a pound in months...aside from GAINING over Christmas. I so SO well during breakfast and lunch...but when I get home, I splurge and eat because I feel so hungry. This actually started happening after Christmas, so I know it was all of the carb intake that triggered it. But what I can't seem to understand is how it was so easy for me to ditch the carbs the first time and now, not so much. I'm starting to get really discouraged about all of this...I don't want all I've lost in a year's time to be ten pounds. I know I can do so much better than that!
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    My worst time is 4-6 pm. I try to eat some almonds or -protein around 3 so I am NOT binging by 5:00!!!
  • TheHealthyMango77
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one with this issue. Between 3-5pm I can eat 3 bowls of cereal and not even think about it!

I didn't even think about protein. I'm implementing that into my eating habits today! Thank you guys!!