What do I need for my home gym?

Options
We have a large addition we are turning into a home gym. Feel like I'm forgetting something, any recconendations? So far:

Treadmill

Smith Machine (I have a bad back + knee so don't judge me lol!)

Weight Rack + Bench

Exercise Ball

Resistance Bands

TRX System

Yoga Stuff

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    The Smith machine is actually worse for your back. The single plane of movement will force you to move in a way your body doesn't normally move.

Other than that, you might want some dumbbells.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    It actually helps with my issue but thanks!

Do have some free weights not many though....
  • DWPedsRN
    DWPedsRN Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a new addition, but converted a spare bedroom into my home gym. I added the foam flooring tiles (Gold's Gym brand sold at WalMart), a treadmill, flat screen TV and a bench/ottoman (easier to put on shoes, etc) We already had a recumbent bike that my DH uses. Now that the nicest TV in the house is in there, we have added motivation to get moving!

Oh, and it's nice to have a place to recharge my Garmin! I keep a basket of rolled towels on the bench, too. The shelf below holds odds and ends, bands and "the stick" for working the knots out of sore muscles!
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    If you want rubber flooring (the kind to protect the floor - not like wrestling mats) - go to Tractor Supply.

You can get 4x6 sheets of heavy rubber matting (for horse stalls) for a great price.

I have half my garage covered in those and they work great.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/rubber-horse-stall-mat-4-ft-x-6-ft--2219003
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I have one of those roman chair/back extension benches too - I like that.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Do you have room for a heavy bag? Also allocate an area for jumping rope and other simular activies. If you don't have a tv in there, maybe a shelf for your laptop or whatever you can use to watch dvds and you tube on.