How many calories should I be burning a day?

Options
So I have my calorie goal at 1400 a day. How do I know how many calories should I burn? Any good sites I can go on to figure it out? Thanks!

Replies

• starvinkevin
    Options
    based on your TDEE which depends on your activity level and how much muscle you have. GOGOGLE
  • spa9177
    spa9177 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    300-500 a day would be a good start. It really depends on how much weight you want to lose and how fast. 3500 calories burned in a week will give you a 1 pound weight loss.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    This site:

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

has a ton of calculators to help you determine body fat percentage (for a more accurate BMR reading), your TDEE (from that BMR) is how much you're burning per day which can help you find out how many calories to cut. However, they say to not go below your BMR for optimal weight loss results. :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Well, the question is a little too vague to answer.
    How did you come about the number 1400?
    And why not use MFP's calculations for calories burned?
    What are your goals?
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    If you've used the MFP settings to set up your goal and have built in a desired amount of loss per week (1 lb/week is a good place to start for most but it depends on how much you have to lose), then technically - none. Your caloric deficit is already built in to the 1400 cals.

Now, if you want to improve your FITNESS, then find an exercise you enjoy and do that. The added benefit is that you "earn" more calories by exercising that you can eat back during the day (i.e., above the 1400).

So, for example, my goal is 1/2 lb/week, and my MFP recommended intake is 1490. I worked out today, burning over 300 calories, so actually ate more like 1700 cals, and have still maintained my caloric deficit.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    There's no number you "should" burn.

With MFP default settings, you're supposed to eat back what you burn (so that's 1400+exercise).

I aim to achieve a higher level of fitness, not a specific calorie burn. For example, one of my goals was to be able to run a 5K. When I first started, I could hardly run 30 feet but now I'm doing a whole 2 miles.

Have a goal and work towards it, the weight loss will just be part of the over all end result.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    ^^^
    This too.
    (That was for cmelrun but I agree with the other post too so amend that to "these too". Both kind of hit on where I was going with my questions)
  • flutterbygrl1
    Options
    i was told to aim to burn half the calories that I eat.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    i was told to aim to burn half the calories that I eat.

That is not necessary at all and pretty extreme. Even if you only eat 1200 calories a day, thats 600 calories to burn. Thats a 6 mile run everyday. (Not to mention netting 600 is not advisable unless under medical advice)
    You want to eat a a deficit but you don't want to cut so low that you aren't eating enough to support basic body functions.
    Plus you want this to be maintainable. If you are doing large amounts of exercise to lose weight you will put it back on easily if you don't maintain high amounts of activity or very low calorie intake.
  • 197Kiki
    197Kiki Posts: 129
    Options
    If you've used the MFP settings to set up your goal and have built in a desired amount of loss per week (1 lb/week is a good place to start for most but it depends on how much you have to lose), then technically - none. Your caloric deficit is already built in to the 1400 cals.

Now, if you want to improve your FITNESS, then find an exercise you enjoy and do that. The added benefit is that you "earn" more calories by exercising that you can eat back during the day (i.e., above the 1400).

So, for example, my goal is 1/2 lb/week, and my MFP recommended intake is 1490. I worked out today, burning over 300 calories, so actually ate more like 1700 cals, and have still maintained my caloric deficit.
  • 197Kiki
    197Kiki Posts: 129
    Options
    Oooohh OK I get it now... For some reason this was confusing to me!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Oooohh OK I get it now... For some reason this was confusing to me!

It confuses a lot of people.