Busy mom trying to work in exercise

Options
I am a single mom of 2 teenage boys, working 2 jobs and helping care for an elderly parent.
Thanks to MFP I'm getting my food intake under control and losing weight but am finding it hard to
get any exercise in. I leave home at 6:30 in the morning and don't get home until after 7 each night.
Between picking the boys up from practices and nightly visits to the nursing home, I just can't seem
to fit it in.

Anyone else with the same problems or any suggestions!!

Replies

• Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I use my Wii. I have 3 kids, getting to the gym is a distant dream.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Just walk more it does wonders. While the boys are at practice or during games walk around the field. Walking would be good for your parent too or push them in a wheel chair they need to get out of their room too.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your parent. I hear you - early morning leaving, running the kids or commitments at night. Two options work best: early morning workout at home, or something at lunch. Even 2 days a week then a weekend day would be great. There are lots of 30 minute workouts of varying intensities to start. Check out YouTube for ideas, or if you want to message me about your fitness level, I'll be happy to give you some suggestions. Good luck!
  • KiloTango
    KiloTango Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do the 15 minute 'fitness ladder' from the Hacker Diet, it's only short so you can fit it in every day (I do mine very first thing in the morning before I leave my room). Going to start augmenting it with some other short-but-intense stuff like rowing and body-weight exercise intervals. That way I'm always getting the best part of 15 minutes a day, and 30 a few times a week.

I also saw a suggestion of, before you go to bed, pick 2 or 3 exercises like push-ups or sit-ups, do as many as you can before you can't do any more and write it down. The next night, you have to do one more than that on each before you're allowed to get into bed. (The person doing it also gave themselves that rule as a 'price' before being allowed to leave his room in the morning too, but I think evening stuff will be easier for you to fit in if you're leaving so early in the morning) Don't forget to stretch before you get into bed if you do do that, though :)
  • saramea
    saramea Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am a full time law student with a 2.5 year old and a husband who has been deployed 18 out of 24 months, so I understand when there really just is no time. Do what you can on the weekends and maybe aim for another workout or two during the week. I also did New Rules of Lifting for Women over the summer after bedtime, around 8pm. The initial workouts are don't take much time, but after the first 6 weeks they get slightly longer. Also the Jillian Michaels 30day shred is only 20 minutes and people on here seem to have a lot of success with them.
  • ladypinnix
    ladypinnix Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It might sound & feel selfish at first, but it's SOooo important to schedule "me" time!! Your boys are old emough to find rides to / from practices 1 or 2 days a week to allow you a few hrs to get your work outs in. they'll thank you in the long run!! Time management is just as important as watching calories... With creative scheduling, you can find a solution!
  • reginaclay
    reginaclay Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I feel you! I have two jobs and I am a single mom of a very sickly eight year old child. I am doing simple things for like 10 minutes at a time. Jumping jacks, crunches, push-ups, and even jump roping or jogging in place. just a few suggestions. I also found a dvd by jillian michaels where the work-outs are 24 minutes in length. Take a few moments for yourself, and most importantly do not feel guilty about it when you do!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I like the workouts at fitnessblender.com . There are dozens of them of varying length and levels of difficulty, all well presented and refreshingly free of frenzied celebrity trainer hype.
  • sassy3677
    sassy3677 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the tips. Still struggling to find a way to work it in but I am determined to do it!! Everyone's tips were very helpful.
  • trentnivins
    trentnivins Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Wake up 30 mins earlier workout, then shower and go about your day. Kudos to you for your sacrifices for your family, but you must make time for yourself, especially where your health is concerned or you will not be able to help your family. Include the boys into your fitness routine, I sure you can find something to do together.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    One thing I didn't see mentioned is that you don't have to exercise all at once. Instead of exercising a full 30 minutes, try breaking this up into three 10 minute segments. It doesn't seem quite as daunting if you look at it that way.
  • sweetd_cali
    sweetd_cali Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm a working mom too. Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred DVD has worked for me - it's 20 minutes and all you need is a set of hand weights (and a yoga mat if you're working on a hard surface). I saw it at Costco for $7.99 and Target for $9.99.