protein overages

Options
Is it bad to go over on your protein goals daily? Will that work against the weight loss?

Replies

• starvinkevin
    Options
    NOPE. IF U WANT LOSE WEIGHT SUPER FAST EAT MOSTLY PROTEIN !!!!!!!!!!
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting you want to eat lots of protein to encourage muscle growth. As long as you're still under your goal for overall calories, you're good!
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    LOOK UP PSMF ALL PROTEIN DIET - ITS DA BEST! I LOST 10 LBS SINCE LAST MOONDAY WITHOUT EXERCISE... and yes I'm being serious.
  • ANGELRNBSN
    ANGELRNBSN Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't think going over your proteins by some will be detrimental. Going over by a lot may be....but you need protein to allow for a lot of metabolic reactions in the body as well as for muscle mass build....and the more muscle mass you have and the less fat mass you have....the more efficient your body is at burning the calories. You need a balance of all the elements: protein, fat, fiber, etc. There may be times that you gain weight or plateau, but that is either gained muscle mass (which weighs more than fat) or a need to look at the other areas of intake (like too much saturated fat and not enough monounsaturated/polyunsaturate fats.
  • Jred36
    Jred36 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I agree, you want to eat more protein than carbs. I really shoot for high protein low carbs. Protein helps build muscle. I was told by a friend who is a nutritionist and a fitness instructor to eat half my body weight or more in protein daily and keep carbs low. Its working for me.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    MFP sets protein too low. To set your macros, check out this link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Also, it's hard to have too much protein.

"It has been observed that the human liver cannot safely metabolise much more than 285-365 g of protein per day (for an 80 kg person), and human kidneys are similarly limited in their capability to remove urea (a byproduct of protein catabolism) from the bloodstream. Exceeding that amount results in excess levels of amino acids, ammonia (hyperammonemia), and/or urea in the bloodstream, with potentially fatal consequences,[1] especially if the person switches to a high-protein diet without giving time for the levels of his or her hepatic enzymes to upregulate. Since protein only contains 4 kcal/gram, and a typical adult human requires in excess of 1900 kcal to maintain the energy balance, it is possible to exceed the safe intake of protein if one is subjected to a high-protein diet with little or no fat or carbohydrates. However, given the lack of scientific data on the effects of high-protein diets, and the observed ability of the liver to compensate over a few days for a shift in protein intake, the US Food and Nutrition Board does not set a Tolerable Upper Limit nor upper Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range for protein.[2] Furthermore, medical sources such as UpToDate[3] do not include listings on this topic."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    The short answer is no, if you're occasionally over that's fine, just watch your calories. There are several schools on nutrient breakdown, one of the best was; The Zone Diet by Barry Sears PhD, it follows a formula of 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fats. Here is a calculator for several diet breakdowns:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm

Here is another link, with links on the page about High protein diets.. I wouldn't listen to folks telling you to eat just protein ... but read the data in the links and decide for yourself. Your body can only use so much protein, extra doesn't build any "extra muscle" If you're over in calories the body converts the extra protein into fat deposits.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/419482-the-effects-of-excessive-protein-intake-to-the-body/

Keep trucking !
  • Dakryn
    Dakryn Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I always go over my protein (according to MFP) I try to eat 60% of my weight in grams (140 pounds x.6=84) so I try to hit 84 grams of protein in a day, especially since I have been working out more....