possibly silly question for runners

Options
Do you ever walk? Not just go for a walk kind of walk, but like during your run, take a small break to catch your breathe and then go back to it?

Replies

• Honeybea86
    Options
    I do when I get stitches because if I take a minute break the painful stitch will go away an I can keep on running!
  • Snackman88
    Snackman88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When I haven't run in awhile lol
  • hofosho1020
    Options
    Sure do. Usually if I haven't been training real hard I'll stop every 10 minutes or mile or so for a minute. If I'm training hard I stop after every 3 miles and walk for a bit.
  • nejaustin
    nejaustin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    When I do my weekly training long runs I usually do 10, 1s basically run 10 minutes walk 1. But then when I ran my last marathon I found I only needed to walk thru a couple of the water stops, the rest of the time I was running. I think it is a great training tool to get you farther than you can just with running alone.

Also great for people just starting back up running.
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Not in a while but if I got a muscle cramp I would.
  • kiku76
    kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    thanks! I worked my way through C25K, got lazy, and now I'm back at it working through Zero 2 10K. I'd love to be able to run at least a whole 45 each time but IDK if that's possible. I can do it if I walk a few steps after awhile, but then I was wondering if I have to walk, even for like a min or less, am I not considered a "runner"?
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    if you need to take a break-take a break-it doesn't mean your a "non runner"

some people are better running short distances rather than longer-find what suits YOU
  • irisia99
    irisia99 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My biggest "trick" to running without breaking pace is to sloooooowwwww down. When I first started running, I'd run so slow. Seriously, like a tiny bit faster than walking pace. If I stop to walk, I find it very difficult to start running again.
  • kiku76
    kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    My biggest "trick" to running without breaking pace is to sloooooowwwww down. When I first started running, I'd run so slow. Seriously, like a tiny bit faster than walking pace. If I stop to walk, I find it very difficult to start running again.
    very true!

I was just wondering if just by walking a few steps, does it discount you as a real runner? See, I told you all it was a silly question
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I do the Galloway method so yes I take walk breaks. When I'm running longer than 3.5 miles, I run 3 minutes walk 1. I plan on doing that for my half in April. When I run 3.5 or less, I run longer intervals or continuously depending on my mood. I started doing the intervals when I was fighting a hip injury. Now I have no issues and actually run slightly faster this way.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I have a horrible time starting up again if I stop to walk-so I don't. I actually kinda ditched c25k because I had too hard a time starting running again after a walk break. Galloway lives for walk breaks and there's no running police that will issue you a ticket for walking, so if it works for you-go for it (just move to the side if you're going to do a walk break in a race).
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    very true!

I was just wondering if just by walking a few steps, does it discount you as a real runner? See, I told you all it was a silly question

It's not a silly question at all! But I'm in the opposite boat. I've been running for awhile now and can run for 6 miles straight, but my pace is only a little over 10 minutes per mile. I often wonder if I'm not pushing myself hard enough. When I run at that pace, my breathing is only moderately labored and my heart rate isn't raised all that high. I think it means you're a more hard core runner if you run to exhaustion, take a short break, run until exhaustion again, and keep repeating that process. I know when I was first at starting to get I to running, I couldn't even make it a full mile at my slowest jog, but three miles then of sweating huffing, puffing, and taking walk breaks felt like a much harder work out than 6 miles of running at a comfortable pace that I do now.
  • marthajo1
    marthajo1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I do if I get a cramp. But don't be hard on yourself if you walk for a bit. No matter how fast you're going, you're still going faster than you would be if you were just sitting on the couch :)
  • DonnaCarmody
    DonnaCarmody Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    After about 3 miles I walk for about two or three minutes and usually once I top one of the hills on my five mile run I walk for about a minute. This did not seen to be the norm until I hit age 50, just do not have the energy I used to. Feel its better to take a rest than to give it up
  • maryrichardson112
    Options
    I have not a while (cold out and busying during the day) but when i do since i am not a strong runner i run downhills and flat areas and walk up hills.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I do - unless I am in a race. I regularly run a mile, walk a 1/4 mile, etc... Sometimes more or less, just depends on how i feel.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Only while training to run faster. I do fast/normal intervals.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    I do the Galloway method so yes I take walk breaks. When I'm running longer than 3.5 miles, I run 3 minutes walk 1. I plan on doing that for my half in April. When I run 3.5 or less, I run longer intervals or continuously depending on my mood. I started doing the intervals when I was fighting a hip injury. Now I have no issues and actually run slightly faster this way.

i love the galloway method!
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second time trying c25k. I never have made it to the end. So tonight I went to the gym and decided to walks or 5 minutes in the beginning. Then run until I feel like I have to stop, then switch to a walk at 3.5 and then walk for 1.5 minutes and start running. At 5.1.. I did this for 35 minutes. I felt really good, towards the end I was really tired, but I did it,. I figured out I really have to really focus on my breathing. If I don't I breath to fast. I never realized how much running could be a stress released. I hoe I can keep running. I have had 3 knee surgeries, 2 on my left kee and 1 on my right.

I do have a question. When I'm running my bottom part of my foot starts hurting?
  • BAFilek
    BAFilek Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I take a short break - maybe 1 house length - if needed. Sometimes even if not needed! It also depends on if my running buddy, pictured, needs to take a pit-stop! :) Go with what feels good to you. I don't consider myself a good runner, as my fastest is 11 min miles, but it is a lot more than I could run 5 years ago!