gazelle machine / calories burned counter is it accurate?

Options
i have one of those tony little gazzelle machines, it has one of those counters on the top to display, speed, distance, amount of time you are on it, and of course amount of calories burned, you can put the button to keep it displaying only 1 thing or let it just keep cycling thru showing all of that. well i i do sweat bullets and keep up same intensity and speed and heart rate stays up for a good while after the work out, i wonder just how correct the calories burned calculator on it is, if i do it less intensly of course the number of caliores burned it shows is less than what it shows when i do at a higher intensity. well with workouts then putting it in here despite time spent and the pace im keeping up it says id burned less calories than what the machine says. so it leaves me feeling unsure of just how much i really am burning, am i really not burning as much or am i actually burning more than what it calculates on this site and i unknowingly dont eat back enough of my workout calories. sorry this may be confusing but i just would like to be more accurate idea of my workout progress.

Replies

• rmendezjr
    Options
    Hi, I'm Robert.
    I have a Gazelle just like the one you discribed.
    I just got off of the machine doing a moderate level for half an hour.
    The machines says the I burned 990 calories, but all the websites I've visited to confirm say that I should have only burned anywhere from 419 & 586 calories, which averages out to about 500 calories per every half hour.
    So I don't think the machines is accurate and read somewhere that those readings should only be used as an estimate. But that's a big difference on the estimate. The difference is because (so I've read) the machine does not take into account your weight and height.
    But in the long run, it's helped my lose weight along with counting calories on MyFitnessPal.com.
    Hope this helps.