Late night eating help!

Options
I have the worst habit of eating SO well all day and then completely blow it after dinner if I see I have 100 or 200 calories left that I could have. How does everyone prevent doing this?! Help would be much appreciated!!

Replies

• Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    A lot of hard work going to waste due to late night snacking. Science proves that eating after 7p.m. is a sure fire way to fail. Your body will not burn those calories while you sleep. This can cause sleep disturbances and also leave you feeling lathargic. A body needs its rest for several reasons. If you are working out during the day, at some point your body needs to heal itself. This is supposed to occur while you sleep. So eating before bed throws our system off and high-jacks necessary fuel that would normally be used for rejuvination. Im no expert i would suggest finding a favorite decaf tea and sipping on it after dinner. Suck on lemon wedges. It works. Once ur body is conditioned with out the snacking, it will be second nature to just have dinner and be done for the night.
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    A lot of hard work going to waste due to late night snacking. Science proves that eating after 7p.m. is a sure fire way to fail. Your body will not burn those calories while you sleep. This can cause sleep disturbances and also leave you feeling lathargic. A body needs its rest for several reasons. If you are working out during the day, at some point your body needs to heal itself. This is supposed to occur while you sleep. So eating before bed throws our system off and high-jacks necessary fuel that would normally be used for rejuvination. Im no expert i would suggest finding a favorite decaf tea and sipping on it after dinner. Suck on lemon wedges. It works. Once ur body is conditioned with out the snacking, it will be second nature to just have dinner and be done for the night.

NO.
  • Cp731
    Options

NO.
    Why Do You Say" NO"
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Disagree.
    I workout in the evenings, after dinner and eat meal 6, my post-workout meal around 10pm everyday. It doesn't matter when you eat your calories, it matters how many total calories you eat and how many you burn. if you don't want to go over your daily calories, try having a list of 100 or 200 calories snacks and just pick one off the list. Also, make sure you're getting enough healthy fat, fiber & protein during the day so you won't get so hungry.
  • kitty_764
    Options
    I feel your pain. It's not nearly as bad as it was before I started watching what I ate, but it's still there.
    I'm probably doing it all wrong, but I'm a night owl so I eat breakfast at noon-ish, lunch anywhere from 3-6 then I eat dinner as late as possible. It's worked so far, no major climb-the-walls-starving mode.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

NO.
    Why Do You Say" NO"

Because the majority of the information you posted is not "proven by science" nor is it correct.

First of all you do burn calories in your sleep. Next, even if you burn "fewer" calories at night, it won't effect net fat storage because given the same total food intake, eating more at night means eating less during the day. This basically just means that you oxidize more fat during the day by choosing to eat more of your calories at night. In the end it's still dictated by energy balance.

Some people have digestive issues if they eat late at night. These people should obviously do what they can to avoid it. For those that don't experience issues with it, it's totally fine and in fact if it meets the individuals preferences I'd recommend it.
  • avocadofit
    avocadofit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Start eating later in the day so you have more cals for snacking at night...works for me :)
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I realized there was no point in trying to stop myself from snacking at night so I decided to work WITH my body's natural tendencies. I have a small meal (I'm talking a hot dog or a small sandwich, maybe a dense oatmeal and chocolate cookie with some milk) around 2-3 in the afternoon, then later in the evening I have a highish calorie meal (over 500, up to 700), and that will usually leave me satisfied until maybe 11 at night when the cravings hit(I tend to stay up until 2am). Normally, I have enough calories left over with this plan that I can have something heavy and satisfying when that late night craving to snack hits. (I've been going through so much peanut butter the past couple weeks.)
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options

NO.
    Why Do You Say" NO"

Because the majority of the information you posted is not "proven by science" nor is it correct.

First of all you do burn calories in your sleep. Next, even if you burn "fewer" calories at night, it won't effect net fat storage because given the same total food intake, eating more at night means eating less during the day. This basically just means that you oxidize more fat during the day by choosing to eat more of your calories at night. In the end it's still dictated by energy balance.

Some people have digestive issues if they eat late at night. These people should obviously do what they can to avoid it. For those that don't experience issues with it, it's totally fine and in fact if it meets the individuals preferences I'd recommend it.

Thank you. I was too lazy to type out all the reasons she was wrong.
  • Kimp727
    Kimp727 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, and then wake up sick & bloated! I have found if I really stick to the eating times during the day, it helps. Also, I heard if you repeat "I DON'T eat after 7pm" rather than thinking "I CAN'T have that" , it will be more effective. :smile:
  • eevincheezburger
    eevincheezburger Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Throw out all the 'naughty' foods in your house. That way you don't have those options there in the first place. For me, if I know it's there, I eat it.

Second, drink lots of water to see if maybe you're just thirsty.

Third, if it comes down to it, just have a light snack. 100-200 calories can go a long way if you eat the right things.
  • Cp731
    Options
    BOOOOOOOO. I did say that Im no expert. This is what works for me.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Save more calories for the evening! My calories usually go like this

Lunch: 300-400
    Snack: 100
    Supper: 300-500
    After Supper: 500-700
  • SideSteel
    Options

I understand that you want to share what works for you (such as your decaf tea comment, that's a fine suggestion), but
    Science proves that eating after 7p.m. is a sure fire way to fail. Your body will not burn those calories while you sleep.

^ that is not "what works for you". That is just basically misinformation that can cause people to fail their diets because they suddenly are lead to believe that all calories eaten after 7pm turn to fat.

To be clear, I'm not posting this to pick on you. This is not personal.
  • NatashaVR
    Options
    I agree with this, I have heard it both way. Sugar will keep you up and so will drinking any alcoholic drinks, the reason is due to not reaching your deep REM cycles. Your body is going to burn the cals etc. either way and the best way ( like during the day ) is to eat good healthy snacks minus sugar. What your trying to avoid is starvation mode your body slips into pretty easily (when hungry) and you in turn will pack on the pounds , to avoid this, don't like yourself go hungry. Eat every 2-3 hours and if you can't get to food, fill up on water!
  • Cp731
    Options

I understand that you want to share what works for you (such as your decaf tea comment, that's a fine suggestion), but
    Science proves that eating after 7p.m. is a sure fire way to fail. Your body will not burn those calories while you sleep.

^ that is not "what works for you". That is just basically misinformation that can cause people to fail their diets because they suddenly are lead to believe that all calories eaten after 7pm turn to fat.

I know I read ur profile. And I am interested in that site you have on here. Maybe I will check it out.
  • SideSteel
    Options

I know I read ur profile. And I am interested in that site you have on here. Maybe I will check it out.

Please do and feel free to PM me or join our group if you have any questions.

And thank you for understanding that I am not out to personally attack anyone. I'm here to help even though I look like I'm here to argue. LOL
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    If I want to eat at night (or after dinner when I am full) I go to bedroom, take a long bath and get into bed. I read the posts on MFP and try to let the inspiration sink in.
  • lilbell72
    Options
    I used to be bad with evening snacking and I just stopped it by having a cup of tea and two biscuits (of my choice) around 8pm. I soooo look forward to those biscuits so I dont feel that I'm missing anything. I think the biscuits I have are 19 calories each!
    I've only started on this site and its telling me that I have 500 calories left over each day, however I dont try to use them up just for the sake of it. I'm eating well and not hungry at all. I would say try not to concentrate on the calories that you have left and you wont be tempted. I imagine that most calories are an estimation and I would say that we are probably consuming that little bit extra anyway via portion size, brand etc.etc. Its easier to eat well during the day as most peoples days are structured through work, maybe you need a little structure in the evening to keep you on track!
    Good luck!