Cheap ways to exercise?! HELP!

Options
I have been dieting for about 9 weeks now and the weight was dropping off for the first 6 weeks and I lost about a stone. But my weight hasn't changed for the past three weeks. I've read about people being on a plateau but am not sure how to vary my routine without spending money! I am really skint so I walk and cycle on the stationery bike I have but I think I need to change my routine to kickstart my weight loss again. Does anyone have any suggestions that won't cost me too much money?

Thanks!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Walk, Jog, run, calisthenics (jumping jacks, burpies etc), push ups, pillaties, Yoga, skipping (one of the best calorie burners)
  • vicidoesstuff
    vicidoesstuff Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Get on Play.com and look for a nice cheap exercise DVD! It's free delivery and the DVD is a one-off cost.

Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, which is on its way to me now, is only £5.99.
    Biggest Loser 2 New Year New You is £5.
    Alot of the 10 minute solutions (if that's your thing - personally, not mine) are £4.99.

OR!
    You could go on Youtube and look for routines on there. That's completely free, obviously.

I hope someone on here gives the link of that online workout thing. There's a website where you can see loads of workouts for free. I'm not sure what the address is but hopefully someone will mention it.

And well done for what you're doing now :) It's understandable that your body is getting used to the exercise you're doing and you're right to change it up a bit. Good on you!
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    WALK! best free exercise! also swimming :smile:
  • jamie11k
    jamie11k Posts: 82
    Options
    Pushups and squats are free, try writing yourself a circuit training routine.

Warm up stretching, jumping jacks to get the heart rate up, 30-60 sec of pushups, lunges, jumping jacks, squats, punches, cool down.

something like that would change it up, and if you're engaging your body and concentrating on keeping your core tight, it will rev that engine!

Hope it helps!
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    There are tons of free fitness videos online. Check out RealAge.com or Prevention.com for exercise videos and workouts.
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Does your television broadcast have any exercise channels? That could be a possibiltiy. You could jump rope for cardio. Take some larger cans out of your pantry and use them for your arms. You can sit on a chair and use anything with some weight acroos the top of your ankles and lift (good for lower extremeties). Sex is great excercise...........seriously works everything (not joking) although it is kind of funny....lol. I wish you alot of luck sweetie. Know what it is like to not have alot of cash.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    You can also check out womenshealthmag.com for workouts - there's some on menshealth.com also if you'd like to switch it up some more. Our local library has some DVDs for check out as well, which is free.
  • Mom2Emery_Liam
    Options
    Exercisetv.tv is a great site for free workouts. It's actually what got me motivated to get in shape. There's a huge variety- cardio, kickboxing, circuit training, yoga, pilates,strength training....etc. Also, if you have premium cable, you will probably get exercise tv on demand as well- there you can Jillian Michael's stuff, Biggest Loser, KIm Kardashian, etc. It sounds like you're doing enough cardio, maybe try buying some inexpensive weights for strength training. It's important to build muscle so that the fat will burn off faster.
  • jpace43
    jpace43 Posts: 2
    Options
    :smile:

Hi Sarah,

I think that may be the answer for you. Changing your exercise routine, sometimes when we perform that same routine and our bodies get use to it. But when we change the programming our bodies have to switch to a different mode, and it has to burn calories because its something the body is not use to doing.

Good luck!
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    RESISTANCEBANDRESISTANCEBANDRESISTANCEBAND! for $26 i bought a full size resistance band with weighted handles and i can get a total body workout from this one band. you can check google or youtube to find exercise techniques to try but the band helps with toning and shaping because it works similar to lifting weights or doing strength training reps.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Find someplace with a lot of stairs (Soccer Stadium, parking garage) and run up and down them a few times. It will add intensity to your workout.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have capabiliites of hooking your computer up to your TV But there are tons of great FREE work outs online ...even from the Womens' Health Magazine official website, and youtube! lol ... I only have a 14" Monitor so I couldn't do that, but maybe you'rs is bigger I know most comptuers and TV's are compatible with eachother now requires 1 or 2 cords I believe
  • hopetobethin
    Options
    Walking is good for you. Or if you have a freind who has a dog thats needs walking whlie at work that could help. Also swimming. I go every monday evening which is run by the local council. I have an active card which allows me to get in cheaper then normal.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    If your willing to buy a couple things:
    5 lbs
    8lbs
    medicine ball
    resistance tube
    kedle bell
    yoga mat
    jump rope (one of the best cardios)
    interval timer (bymboss,com which I highly recomend)

These things are key to spicing up your routines. There are so many types of quats, lunges, crunches, burpees, etc. that you can do with any of these items!! I understand buying all these at once would cost a lot. If you buy one item a pay check it will add up. Also, what is your routine right now?
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Dance! Seriously... close your blinds, blast the radio and dance... move your hips, jump around and just dance.

PLAY - find someone to get out and play frisbee with, softball, soccer... exercise doesn't have to be expensive and it doesn't have to be boring either.

Use some handweights while you're walking - it'll help to increase your heartrate and if you add some arm movements, you'll workout your arms too.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Also if your in a rut. WALKING is not going to take you out of it! Jump rope and jumping jacks are ubber effective! Try this for a cardio.

Jump rope intervals: You will need a notebook, pen, and jump rope

15 mins; jump rope 30 times and mark / (as one)
    At the end of the 15 mins count the / marks. Do this once or twice a week. Make sure you count them so you can try to beat your old number. Its actually fun. It's like your competing with your self.

Things like this will get you out of your rut. Think own body lbs and less machines.
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Go to this website: http://hundredpushups.com/ That is a free program to work you up to 100 pushups, and the page has a link to 3 other free challenges as well. The 200 situps, 200 squats and 25 pullups. The pullups one isn't published yet but I'm excited for it to come out. You would need a pullup bar for that but the others don't need any equipment.