Low Carb Carb Loading for a race?

Hello everyone! I'm about to run my first 15k next month, and I am currently on a low carb eating plan. I know that there is no way 20g of carbs is going to get me through that distance and was wondering if any other low-carber runners had any experience in how to nutritionally prepare for a long distance race and not make myself completely sick.

Replies

• jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    is there any health reason you can't eat an increased number of carbs, or are you just doing it to help you lose weight?
    because if there's no health reason, then just up your carbs. you don't want to bonk near the finish line (or at all for that matter), and actually having a good carb loading session (make ~70% of your calories from carbs) can help prevent that. it's only 15k, but if you're normally eating a low carb diet, than you'll have less glycogen to start with, so you should almost definitely carb load the night before.

if you're eating low carb for health reasons, talk to your doctor. he/she/zhe will probably have a lot better advice.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,883 Member
    Well, how well do you feel now eating low carb running 15k? If you haven't done it before, it's probably not a good idea to try it when the run happens.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    is there any health reason you can't eat an increased number of carbs, or are you just doing it to help you lose weight?
    because if there's no health reason, then just up your carbs. you don't want to bonk near the finish line (or at all for that matter), and actually having a good carb loading session (make ~70% of your calories from carbs) can help prevent that. it's only 15k, but if you're normally eating a low carb diet, than you'll have less glycogen to start with, so you should almost definitely carb load the night before.

if you're eating low carb for health reasons, talk to your doctor. he/she/zhe will probably have a lot better advice.

My doctor okayed me to eat low carb due to a chronic illness I have that causes inflammation in my body from grains and gluten, as well as causing insulin resistance. Since going low carb and exercising, I've lowered the viral load in my body by 30%. I also feel like a new person. :)
  • islandgirl76_
    islandgirl76_ Posts: 86 Member
    I'm not a big pasta or bread person, so on the days leading up to a race, I will load up on non-grain carbs like sweet potatoes. If you eat foods you don't normally eat right before your race you could upset your stomach.
  • emr51983
    emr51983 Posts: 6 Member
    If you're running a 15k or 9-10 miles you probably don't have to "carb load." People usually do that for marathons.

That being said, if you really want to increase your carbs the night before, you should eat brown rice or quinoa. They're still "gluten free" and may be easier on your stomach?