What to expect?

Options
So I joined a gym today and get a free session with a personal trainer tomorrow. My question is what should I expect? I'm new to working out in a gym, and definitely not used to having someone watch me that closely lol.

Replies

• Vlly4life15
    Vlly4life15 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    So I joined a gym today and get a free session with a personal trainer tomorrow. My question is what should I expect? I'm new to working out in a gym, and definitely not used to having someone watch me that closely lol.

if you got your membership at an la fitness they should take you through a workout and try to sell you on pt.. sometimes hard but do it you might learn something
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    deleted
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Expect them to try to hard sell you on personal training. Mine had the added bonus of bro-science.
  • benjamin1226
    Options
    Expect nothing because most of the them don't even train. Good luck.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    What is broscience? Or do I not want to know?
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    What is broscience? Or do I not want to know?
    Basically misinformation spread through gyms. I was told that my muscle will turn into fat if I take longer than a 15 second break between lifting sets and a bunch of other myths (luckily I already knew better, I just wanted help on my form). But that was my experience. Hopefully the OP will have a better experience.
  • oahugirl
    oahugirl Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    a lot of times it honestly depends on the gym, and the person. Just keep an open mind. I've been to some where they sell, sell, sell and tell you how you NEED a trainer yada, yada, yada. I've also been to one where she was genuinely interested in helping me reach my goals and showed me the right way to use the equipment, what my BMR/calorie intake should be, how to measure myself, etc. Needless to say, she didn't try to sell me anything and i ended up working out with her for over a year and she's still one of my best friends after moving away. Just remember, you know what is best for you and what your goals are - don't let anyone convince you to sign a long term commitment to training if you're not ready for it! Good luck!
  • lindseymaekeller
    Options
    A lot of these posts are funny. Yes it depends on the gym and the actual trainer. Just like there are some people that are great at the their jobs and some people are horrible. It's the same with PT...some are just plain crappy and don't know what they're doing.

If you've never been to a gym before, I would specifically request that they spend that time teaching you how to use the equipment. If you're not interested in regular PT sessions, then it's a good use of time to learn how to use stuff. If you DO want PT, then running through a workout with them might be a good way to get a sense of their training style.

In all honestly, I watch a lot of the trainers at my gym in the day to day and get a feel for their style by watching. Some of them I IMMEDIATELY know I would never train with if they're hardly paying attention and let their clients do squats or lunges with horrid form.