Adderall

Options
I have ADHD and I have not been on medication for it in about 3 years. Before I was taking Straterra and really liked it. Well after careful consideration and many people telling me I needed too I decided to get back on my ADHD medication. I was not able to get on Straterra because it went from $25 a month to $102 a month so my doctor put me on Adderall. I have a resting HR of around the high 80's to low 100's. I took my first dose yesterday morning around 9am and my HR shot up to 150 and after a few hours it went down to the low 100's. Also it is now 5am the next day and I am still wide awake. Is this normal? Will this go away once my body gets used to the medication?

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    talk to your doctor about this.

adderall is basically an amphetatime. so it's going to raise your HR a bit and blood pressure as well, i would assume.

I'd also start figuring out excercise/dietary changes to get my resting HR lower than low 100s. That can't be good.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    What form of adderall are you taking? Do you take one pill that last all day or more than one? Also what is your mg you are taking? It may go down in time but it really depends on how long you are willing to wait. And one last thing is do you know how this is effecting your blood pressure, I hope you don't have high blood pressure as it is.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I had this problem when I took the Adderall Extended Release. This was solved by switching to the regular Adderall. The heart rate does not surprise me, my doctor had my heart checked before prescribing me with Adderall.

Talk to your doctor, it might be the dosage amount.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    My daughter has a heart condition and also is ADHD. Her doctor puts her in a class of medications that are NON stimulants because of this. Ask your doctor to put you on a non stimulant and in the mean time, GO GET CHECKED. This is NOT good. The doctor explained it to her and I this way. Every heart has a certain number of beats and then, it stops. well.. after your heart uses up its amount of "beats" there are none left. When you are on a medicine that causes your heart to have too many "beats" it puts stress on your heart. So, you shouldnt use up your "beats" unless you have to... SO unless its necessary.. you shouldnt be on a stimulant medication. There are TONS of meds for ADHD that can help you without increasing your heart rate!! Pleae consider one of them! She is 15 and this really helped her to not only understand her medicine, but also when he talked to her about illegal drugs and their effect on the heart also... (he is an amazing doctor and talks to the kids about how "teen life" can really effect them and their actual LIFE!)

So talk to your doctor.. because thats NOT normal. Good luck!
  • SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Are you on an extended release pill? When are you taking it? If you take it in the morning it should have time to wear off by bedtime.
  • SarahR77777
    Options
    Its an amphetamine so it will raise your heart rate. It will take 7 to 14 days to get into your system and your heart rate will regulate. If you are worried make an appointment with your doctor to discuss.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Probably the most important advice anyone can give you - don't take medical advice from strangers on a forum!

Seriously! This is your heart you're screwing with. Ask your doctor!!!!
  • AussieTrainer
    Options
    Probably the most important advice anyone can give you - don't take medical advice from strangers on a forum!

Seriously! This is your heart you're screwing with. Ask your doctor!!!!

Yes ^