Low Calorie, Low Carb?

Options
I am trying to monitor not only my calorie intake but my carb intake as well. Any food suggestions? Any recipes?

Replies

• Shen191
    Shen191 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm in Australia...I had a quick look at your diary and am guessing your in the US?

I don't know if you guys can get this over there - check this out - http://www.slendierslim.com.au/

It's called Slim Pasta and made entirely from tke Konjac vege....but you can use it instead of pasta and noodles.

It's a massive save on calories and carbs. Obvisouly doesn't tasted QUITE as good as the real pasta...but it's all about making some sacrifices hey!?

good luck
    Shen
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    Almonds, chicken, whey protein, salad
  • BrittanyKxo
    Options
    Dreamfield's pasta tastes exactly like regular pasta and only has 5g net carb compared to 41g of regular pasta. Definitely give it a try :)
  • BrittanyKxo
    Options
    Also, netrition.com & lowcarb-r-us.com also carry Low carb, low sugar/etc. :)
  • gadget4455
    gadget4455 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah)? Google it.
  • NJGmywholewrld
    NJGmywholewrld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I too follow low carb and low calorie. I eat a lot of lean meats, chicken, turkey. Almonds and tons of veggies!! My fave is tuna salad on cucumber slices!
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Your carbs look reasonably low in the last few days. I would substitute the milk with almond milk (unsweetened). You'll save a lot of carbs there.
  • gwicks54
    gwicks54 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I watch both but only moderately low on carbs, around 100 average. My diary is open & you are welcome to look & get ideas. I use Josephs Pita Bread in place of my regular bread, eat a couple of servings of fruit each day, lots of non starch veggies, almond milk for a coffee creamer, There are lots of ways to stay low on both, you just have to decide what you like & find ways to have them. Hope you have great success. There are some low carb boards in the community section that has lots of good recipes.
  • gwicks54
    gwicks54 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Dreamfield pasta is awesome!
  • MadameMoustache
    MadameMoustache Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm in Australia...I had a quick look at your diary and am guessing your in the US?

I don't know if you guys can get this over there - check this out - http://www.slendierslim.com.au/

It's called Slim Pasta and made entirely from tke Konjac vege....but you can use it instead of pasta and noodles.

It's a massive save on calories and carbs. Obvisouly doesn't tasted QUITE as good as the real pasta...but it's all about making some sacrifices hey!?

good luck
    Shen

It's called Shirataki noodles. The original ones are 0 cal.
    Normally, 0 cal food doesn't have much health benefits, but actually konjac (the yam they use to make the flour) is a superfood. Google it! It's great for lowering cholesterol and it'S packed with soluble fibers.
    I'm in Canada and I buy the MIracle Noodle brand. They have a ware house in Canada, as in the US.
    www.miraclenoodle.com
    If I buy it at the supermarket (since they don't carry the original Shirataki where I shop), I use House Foods brand. Those are Tofu Shirataki noodles. 40 calories for the whole package. It's tofu mixed with konjac flour.
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    Low fat ham/turkey cold cuts are actually filling too
  • melindanew
    melindanew Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I posted this in another thread, but:

Modified Chicken/Pork/Veal Larb Gai, if you like Thai food.

500g minced meat (chicken, pork or veal - although you can use beef I'm not that keen on it)
    1 Lemon (juice and zest)
    15-20 Fresh basil leaves
    15-20 fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
    1 stalk lemon grass
    1 red onion
    2 tbs Fish sauce
    2 tbs peanut oil
    Fresh chili (sliced and de-seeded) or chili flakes to taste
    Iceberg Lettuce
    2 tbs crushed peanuts (if desired)

In a salad bowl, mix the juice of the lemon and the fish sauce. Zest the lemon and put that in, too. Thinly slice the red onion and add that to the salad bowl, with the basil and the coriander. Do this first so the lemon and fish sauce soften the onions. Don't cook them, though.

Finely cut the white part of the lemon grass only.

In a wok if you have one (or frying pan if not) add peanut oil and lemon grass. Let this fry until the lemon grass is soft. Add mince and chili. Cook until the mince is fully done and make sure it's not clumpy.

Put this in the salad bowl and mix until it's all mixed together. Let it sit for 10 min while the coriander and basil wilt.

Serve with iceberg lettuce leaves to use as wraps. Sprinkle crushed peanuts on top if you desire. Delish and low carb.

Actual larb gai has toasted rice in, which I leave out for calories and also for carbs.

It's about 350 cal per serving, this recipe serves three.
  • FitnessGal1983
    Options
    I have a million chicken recipes that I make a lot and I'm trying shirataki noodles. I tried different brands and couldn't get past the smelly water but now I found Skinny Dip Noodles and there's only a little bit. They have lots of recipes and I'm experimenting to find my favs. I don't have much time to cook so I look for easy recipes.

I also do a low cal low carb diet but like to snack so I make lots of popsicles from Crystal Light. You can put 2-3 of them in a blender and make a slushy too. Oh ... and a fake root beer float! Mix 2 tablespoons of light cream in a glass with a can of diet root beer. It takes like a melted root beer float.