Has fitness made you...

Options
kcoftx
kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
...more open to trying new things?

Sometimes we get hung up on the results and forget to look at all the awesome stuff along the way. In the past year I've tried many new foods and many new activities. I'm sure I can't name them all, but I thought it would be fun to post a thread that celebrates the adventure spirit that lives in every one of us. What new things have you tried since signing up with MFP?

Me?

Kayaking
Zip-Lining
River Trekking (swam under a waterfall)
Parasailing
Snorkeling (I think I only did it once before MFP)
Rollerblading
Yoga
Zumba
Weight Lifting

Quinoa (love it in tabouli)
Greek Yogurt (only like the honey vanilla)
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Toasted Chick Peas
Spinach Salads (discovered I hate salads only because I hate iceberg lettuce)
Dark Chocolate (discovered I don't mind certain varieties of 70% and even now prefer them)
Cooked Spinach (found a place that serves this and it taste way better than I expected)

Your turn! What new stuff have you tried?

Replies

• keepersmom8
    Options
    I'm not nearly as adventurous as you, but, I have tried some new things (or am planning to try):

- adding jogging into my treadmill walks
    - workouts I never would have even thought possible, TurboFire, for example
    - if we ever get snow that stays on the ground, I'm going to try snowshoeing
    - in March, I'm going to sign up for either a Zumba or a spin class

As far as food, I've always been fairly adventurous, but new favourites are:

- plain Greek yogurt--I have this with almonds and berries for breakfast every morning
    - kale (working on this one)
    - roasted broccoli and brussel sprouts
    - sweet potatoes
    - roasted beets
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    I have much better sexy time now because of all the new positions I can try (and hold). :drinker:

Oh and I am officially a bada$$ lifter. Never thought I'd see this day when I was actually good at something "athletic" - *so proud*!!
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Great topic!

Fitness and activity-wise:

- wall and rock climbing
    - hiking
    - assault courses (I'm signing up for a Spartan Race this summer)
    - weight training and heavy lifting
    - pull-ups and push-ups

Food-wise:

- OMG Greek yoghurt
  • DocMarr
    DocMarr Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    The biggest change in my life over the past year has been my attitude towards exercise - I now see it's not a chore but a gift to my body. I now miss exercise (I've had flu and I've been in bed the last 2 days and I'm desperate to be outside having a walk right now).

- I have done zumba every week for the past year
    - Taken up running (never thought I'd ever do that)
    - do weights at the gym (definitely never thought I'd do that)
    - do body combat and strength classes at the gym (love them!)
    - Started walking for miles - hubby and I have planned a walking holiday this summer where we are walking 10-14 miles per day. Currently building up to that. We easily manage 5-6 miles at the moment in an afternoon walk.

- I climb the stairs at work and have done every time for the past 440 days since I started MFP. Not used the lift once - and I'm on the 4th floor. I often manage 50 flights a day at work. When I first started, I was out of breath by the time I reached my office. I could barely breathe. Now I sprint up the stairs and hardly out of breath at all.

We often walk to the shops rather than take the car.

This has relied on a change of attitude. Once you buy the idea that exercise is a gift to yourself and your health then you approach it differently. It means I'm healthier and fitter at 52 than I have been since I was 22!
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Great topic! Tonight at my Lions Club meeting we had our usual raffle with a number of different prizes. Instead of eyeing off the usual boxes of chocolates and bottles of wine, I was hoping my ticket would get pulled out so I could claim the free month-long membership at a new local gym, or the box of fresh fruit and veg.

PS I didn't win anything but still had a great night.
  • spa9177
    spa9177 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Love hiking, also riding rides at an amusement park is way better!
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Doc, attitude is absolutely the key. I was also anti-exercise and suddenly realized all that was really blocking me was my mind.

Keeper, snowshoeing sounds awesome!!!

Mogle, I would like to take a self-defense course. I can't do an unassisted pull up yet but I'm close!

Sage, I had no excuse. I get free gym access. I find though that I like the outdoor stuff best. Did your fun night involve any dancing?

Spa, I live overseas and this summer I actually flew to another country just to have access to an amusement park. Yes, that's way cooler.

Dizzle, BadAss is a fantastic motivator. Keep kicking it in the shins. I still smile at my early hesitation in the oorah room. But BadAss muscles really rock.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!