That Time of the Month Cravings

Options
I'm curious what other ladies do about any cravings they get before/during Aunt Flo's visit. I've been craving massive amounts of salt and carbs, and even letting myself have a little bit isn't helping. :frown: I've gotten myself to the point now where usually if I crave something, I can have a little bit and be satisfied. Right now is not the case, and never has been during these visits... I know when I start getting bad salt cravings, the time is coming. And what do you know, within a day or two the cramps start. :grumble:

So, again, what do you do to fight off these nasty cravings and keep from going over calories? The bag of pita chips downstairs is calling my name, but I don't have the calories to spare.

PS - sorry if this is TMI for anyone. I'm sure there are other ladies out there who are curious too.

Replies

• toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    Try searching the forum - I think this topic comes up once a month (har har har)...err, once a day, at least.
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    lol I guess I didn't look hard enough? Craving is altering my searching abilities? Thanks.
  • kaylemartin
    kaylemartin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I crave salt ans chocolate - it was my TOM on Monday so I had healthier meals and allowed myself a snicker bar - happy :)
  • retheim
    Options
    yup i suffer too. bread and mashed potatoes is my craving. once i start on the bread i find it hard to leave alone so ive made myself a promise to try to not eat any bread at all its awful when im due i just want sandwiches or even just slices of bread and butter its so hard i suppose there is no substitute for carb craving just willpower but good luck with the struggle
  • gmusette
    Options
    well, I am heading that way REAL SOON!? What I PLAN to do is prepare with some chocolate protein shake (add a pack of Splenda) and a boiled egg with a LITTLE salt.. lots of water.... My thing is I get super sleepy and fatigued and don't want to work out...so I'll let you know, once I get up from my nap and to the gym how it goes! ;-):bigsmile:
  • LittleVikki
    LittleVikki Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I crave chocolate and sometimes thats your bodys way of saying it needs iron! Have you tried taking iron tablets? If not try that before and during TOM it might help with your cravings :)
  • lilbell72
    Options
    This is really bad for me too, because I start to crave 3 or so days before my cycle starts and then also for the 5 days during and its mainly sweet things. Chocolate! Last month I let me self eat it and really fell off the wagon!
    I feel your pain, so if you figure it out please let me know! :)
  • xMallie
    xMallie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This is happening to me right now! I want chips, lollies, McDonalds, KFC... Anything deep fried or covered in chocolate, really. I have no idea how to deal with this at all other than to drink tea and water and try to ride it out... I wish you the best of luck with this though! Oh the perils of being a female on a diet...
  • casscamp
    casscamp Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I crave chocolate (for which at any other time I could care less about it.) I also just crave grasy. Wish this didn't have to happen. It throws me all off my plans. Gr.
  • kmf014
    kmf014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I typically give in because that's usually the only time of the month I can't help myself. I get cravings the week before and pretty much lose my appetite the week of so the 2-5lb week gain usually disappears afterwards. If I don't lose it all I just add additional workouts until it's gone. That works for me but all people are different.
  • misselemental
    misselemental Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Carbs...carbs and MORE carbs! Usually things like kettle cooked chips, and then once I have that of course I want something sweet to balance it all out..then gotta balance out that sweet with salty again...it's a vicious cycle isn't it ;)
  • deb62pink
    deb62pink Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Chocolate for me too, yet I don't eat it any other time, weird really....I just give in and have some, I've managed to lose over 23Kgs in the last 2 years and keep it off so I guess it's not too bad to give in every now and then as long as you can get back to normal pretty quickly.
  • Fit147
    Fit147 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    This was me last week. I knew it was coming. I ate a light healthy breakfast, a normal 450 cal dinner, and left plenty of room for chocolate chip cookies in the middle part of the day. The real kind, homemade. They were incredible! I exercised later in the day and went back to MFP business the next day. We are human and should allow a small indulgence every once in awhile. A couple of treats once a month don't make you fat. As we all know it's the daily treats that add up.
  • natm91
    natm91 Posts: 39
    Options
    i know what you mean I'm a veggie so my iron dips round this time as well so i feel so tired and lack of energy that i don't exercise as much but i get massive cravings for sweets sugar and biscuits. All i do is eat less to allow more calories for little snack but I don't my self cus if it feels good and tastes amazing you know u needed but if you don't you didn't need so stop eating it or fill it with a healthier alternative I drink low sugar fizzy (placebo affect low sugar but tastes just as good hence tricking your body) small packets of sweet so i can eat it all to satisfy my craving but not eating my calories away :) but try not stress your self out if you good for the rest of the month allowing a few binge days during your TOM wont hurt if anything i believe its healthier than diet for long periods of time :) hope this helps :D
  • natm91
    natm91 Posts: 39
    Options
    i know what you mean I'm a veggie so my iron dips round this time as well so i feel so tired and lack of energy that i don't exercise as much but i get massive cravings for sweets sugar and biscuits. All i do is eat less to allow more calories for little snack but I don't my self cus if it feels good and tastes amazing you know u needed but if you don't you didn't need so stop eating it or fill it with a healthier alternative I drink low sugar fizzy (placebo affect low sugar but tastes just as good hence tricking your body) small packets of sweet so i can eat it all to satisfy my craving but not eating my calories away :) but try not stress your self out if you good for the rest of the month allowing a few binge days during your TOM wont hurt if anything i believe its healthier than diet for long periods of time :) hope this helps :D
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    roasted salted peanuts everytime :love:
  • emilyrosenich
    emilyrosenich Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    this is happening to me at this exact moment! i have a guideline picture that shows what you're craving and what to eat instead to trigger the same response in the body as if you actually ate the food you were craving! i'll find it and type it out for you x
  • Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    This just hits me hard for one day, so I have a little chocolate, log it and move on with my life.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Sweet, salty and crunchy!!! My special "TOM" trail mix is a MUST every month!
  • emilyrosenich
    emilyrosenich Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Control your cravings:
    Your Craving:
    Chocolate/Sweet & Sugary Foods

You Need:
    Magnesium (aka nuts, seeds, fruits)
    Chromium: Broccoli, grapes, cheese
    Carbon: fresh fruit
    Phosphorus: Chicken, beef, fish, eggs, dairy, nuts
    Sulphur: Cranberries, cabbage, cauliflour