Okay, I'm worried!

Options

Replies

• UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    2lb per week isn't slow! Normal healthy weight loss is 1-2lbs per week, maybe adjust your expectations.
  • Tecia1970
    Tecia1970 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Did you really just come here to flaunt that you eat 1200 calories per day and that you want to eat even less because you fear that 1200 is too much? This should be good...all you are really going to get is negative feedback on this. Eating 1200 calories a day or less is way to low and weight loss should be slow and steady so it STAYS off.
    I don't see how I am "flaunting" anything since I just started this yesterday and I went over my calories both days. I was trying to ask a question. This site is what told me that I should eat 1200 calories per day. It's not a number that I just pulled out of the air!
  • Tecia1970
    Tecia1970 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    2lb per week isn't slow! Normal healthy weight loss is 1-2lbs per week, maybe adjust your expectations.
    I guess I meant to say that 2 lbs. per week what I'm used to losing. I am just trying to get used to counting calories because I am used to counting points.
  • 6ee8ee
    6ee8ee Posts: 25
    Options
    1 week is a retarded sample size. You can't draw any conclusions from it.
    Well aren't you a sweetheart! LOL!

LOL!
  • olaloki
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race!! I like that this site helps you track weekly calories/fat/etc. There ARE going to be days when you go over and thats OK. That being said, and by no means am I encouraging anyone to eat less than 1200, there will probably be days you eat less. I don't think anyone is flaunting anything. Its a simple question and vent about wanting to lose more--isn't that why a lot of us are here??? We want to lose our excess weight.

You've already lost a crap load AND kept it off -- keep up the good work and you will OBVS attain your goal! Goals are good.

Just remember to appreciate yourself as you are today. ;)
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    2lbs a week isn't slow, 2 lbs in a week is "OH HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!" and should not be expected regularly. I was lucky to see those kinds of results for a while, but I started out with well over 100lbs to lose.
  • DebraAukett
    DebraAukett Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I agree two pounds is fabulous, but hard to maintain that every week. I would say aim for and be happy with a pound a week, be ecstatic for two. And no 1200 calories isn't too much, eat some of your exercise calories as well and you'll be a "happy loser"
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Did you really just come here to flaunt that you eat 1200 calories per day and that you want to eat even less because you fear that 1200 is too much? This should be good...all you are really going to get is negative feedback on this. Eating 1200 calories a day or less is way to low and weight loss should be slow and steady so it STAYS off.
    I don't see how I am "flaunting" anything since I just started this yesterday and I went over my calories both days. I was trying to ask a question. This site is what told me that I should eat 1200 calories per day. It's not a number that I just pulled out of the air!

MFP is essentially telling you what you want to hear, it is not making a suggestion for what is best for you to eat. You have told it that you are sedentary and you want to lose 2lbs a week. What everyone has been telling you is that your goal of 2 pounds per week is an unreasonable goal for how much you have to lose. If you change it to one pound per week, it will give you more calories to eat. You should also be eating back any exercise calories since you said you were sedentary.

Weight loss goals based on weight to lose:
    More than 75 lbs: 2 lbs/week
    40-75 lbs: 1.5 lbs/week
    10-40 lbs: 1 lb/week
    Less than 10 lbs: 0.5 lb/week

However, lots of people have been telling you this; you just choose to ignore them. If you decide you do actually want to listen to the advice of others, give these a read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Classic sign of a yo-yo dieter. This isn't meant to be offensive - I used to be like this too and guess what? I gained it all back.

You need to re-evaluate your goals. You are clearly someone who is obsessed by the scale, and I imagine if you lose 2lb a week and then the next week lose 1lb, you are going to be disappointed, right?

If you stick with these unrealistic expectations you will be back on WW or here next year after regaining the weight.

1200 cals is probably too low as it is, let alone going any lower.

Would it not be much better to pick a sensible calorie goal where you won't feel starved, lose 1lb a week and be able to maintain it for the rest of your life?
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    I eat 1700-1800 a day and I've lost 15 lbs since January 2 when I came back. Don't worry about the correlation between ww points and this. Just worry about this, because all it is is a tool for you to track your calorie budget.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Classic sign of a yo-yo dieter. This isn't meant to be offensive - I used to be like this too and guess what? I gained it all back.

You need to re-evaluate your goals. You are clearly someone who is obsessed by the scale, and I imagine if you lose 2lb a week and then the next week lose 1lb, you are going to be disappointed, right?

If you stick with these unrealistic expectations you will be back on WW or here next year after regaining the weight.

1200 cals is probably too low as it is, let alone going any lower.

Would it not be much better to pick a sensible calorie goal where you won't feel starved, lose 1lb a week and be able to maintain it for the rest of your life?

^^
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    1200 Caloires a day is the bare minimum with no exercise, if you are exercising it is recommended that you eat some of that. I mean i eat 3000+ a day, i work a large percentage of it off, but its important to eat if you actually wanna loose weight and maintain it, because starving yourself will give you great results, but not in the long term and it really messes with your body.

I think the easiest way to look at is though, did you put on two pounds a week, did you wake up one moreing unhealthy, no it happened gradually, so yes 2lbs a week would be ideal, but just living a healthy life style and being active will give you what you want, when your body is ready to give it to you. Scales can be the worst thing in the world, take measurements, or measure your healthy based on how you feel (i know fantasy idea, because pounds downa nd smaller clothes is alot more fun) but sometimes you need to take a step back and realize you put in alot of work to get unhealthy, so now you have to put in alot of work to get back to were you want to be. Good luck.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Your focus is all wrong. A scale can only show us a number, often this number won't correlate with the effort put in. Not all progress can be shown by stepping on a scale. If you get de-motivated by weighing yourself I would suggest you throw away your scales and use progress pictures and measure yourself instead. It cannot be stressed enough that this is a long term game. Short cuts and quick fixes won't help you. You need to rethink your goals in my opinion. And no 1200 is generally not enough unless you are tiny in stature and do very little.
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    1 week is a retarded sample size. You can't draw any conclusions from it.
    Well aren't you a sweetheart! LOL!

If you're going to look for weekly validation it's just going to mess with your head and make you lose focus. You need to set a caloric target and then stick it out for at least a month - log everything accurately, track your weight readings in a spreadsheet, etc and then review.

But wondering why after 1 week you're only down 1 lb and not 2 lbs is counterproductive
    I get what you are saying and I agree with you. I have always been a slave to the scale and it drives my husband crazy. He tells me I'm too obsessed with the numbers and he's probably right. But he also tells me I'm not fat and that I'm beautiful. I think that's because he's scared to say otherwise lol.
    Maybe he actually means it.
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am currently aiming for 1lb weight loss a week, if I don't hit that I am not at all worried but that's just a target I like to aim for. Anyway, that being said I only came here to say I sort of understand where you are coming from. I was on weight watchers for 11 months and in that 11 months I lost 98 pounds. So I was averaging 2lbs a week most weeks. It was great to see a steady loss every week and it kept me motivated. I then got pregnant with our third child and have some to lose again. This time I decided to do cal counting for two reasons. 1. I don't like the new PP system at WW. and 2. IT'S FREE! lol I am noticing that it's impossible for me to lose more than 1lb a week, I wouldn't even get close to 1.5 little lone 2. But I am also noticing I am making much smarter food choices and seeing food in a whole new way. Slow and steady is fine by me as long as the end goal is maintaining this for the rest of my life.

I do understand how hard it can be to go from 2lb's a week to 1 or less though. It's a whole new mind set. Good luck on your journey!
  • rreese10
    Options
    Hi there! Ok, I will weigh in here, no pun intended. Ha! This is how I did it. 1200 is not too many. My recommendation, cut out the starches and replace it with protein, fruit or veggies or even nuts. Nuts have a starchy consistency and you will feel like you are getting a starch. You will go through withdrawals, but trust me, it is well worth it, and you will see the pounds drop off.

I was working with a doctor with my weightloss goals. He shared with me a key component that helped me drop weight. I learned when we eat starches, our body turns it in to sugar. So when you think you are eating that wonderful whole grain bread that is good for you? Well, your body turns that into 5 tsp of sugar. I found out that M & M's have about 7 tsp of sugar. Well, I don't know about you, but I would rather eat the M&M's. So I cut out pasta, whole grain bread, white bread, pizza, rice, oatmeal, all the stuff that is suppose to help you lose weight, and replaced it with protein and nuts. I eat between 120 & 150 grams of protein a day, sometimes go over my calories and don't have a problem. I have been on maintenance for 2 months. To test this out, on Monday, I ate 1 slice of bread with a salad, and a protein, after a very heavy intense cardio work out. I woke up the next morning and gained 1.3 pounds, and I only ate 1400 calories. Now my body obviously retained water to break down the bread. Tuesday, no bread, nuts, protein, veggies and fruits, (and about 5 m& M's), and lost 1.2 pounds.

So, I hope this helps. You will go through withdrawals, and you will feel like your muscles and organs are shutting down, but trust me, they are not! It takes about two weeks to get rid of the starch addiction. Once you do, you will feel so free! No more addiction to food! I am finally at peace with food! I wish this for everybody! My two cents.....just sayin.....Good luck! Here to support!!!
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Fast weight loss is nice in theory, but (sorry for how corny this will sound but..) you will miss a lot of learning and growing if you try to rush the process. I just upped my calories to slow my weight loss down, as being on the "2 pound a week" setting was having me lose 3/4 pounds a week, which may sound great but I don't want that. Slow for me, better chance to keep it off and better chance of not having my skin look like a deflated air mattress.
  • rreese10
    Options
    Agreed! I did lose it fast, but whether it is fast or slow, it definitely is a journey. You shed lots of baggage, from the past. You have to be willing to allow the skinny you emerge. I talked to her and gave her permission to emerge. I told my skinny self that we would work together so I could allow her to emerge. We started exploring food. Appreciating for example, how apples are made. Think about it. Look at an apple, the colors, the wholeness, roundness, the pureness. Being mindful, and dealing with my emotions vs. using food to calm them. Appreciating food for what it is. Loving my body. It wasn't my body's fault for getting fat. It only got fat because of what I did with it. I truly believe my body did the best it could with the food I put in my body. When I started feeding it the right stuff, it changed and the new me emerged. Feel free to check out my pics. But I agree, it is a journey, one that can be truly spiritual and a journey into one's self, to shed all the excess baggage, and allow the true beautiful you to emerge!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Try to adjust your expectations and realize that getting healthy is not an event. You're not going to be able to do it, walk away, and never have to think about it again. This is the way you're going to eat and behave for the rest of your life ideally, so try not to think so much about the short term. MFP is a way to learn behaviors that you will use from now on, not just from now until you reach your goal.

1 lb per week is excellent. But realize that some weeks you may not lose anything, and some weeks you may show a gain due to water retention. You can't let it derail your efforts. Just think where you'd be if you'd stuck with it in 2011, losing 1 lb per week on average, you would have reached your goal a long time ago and be working on maintenance (which is a challenge in and of itself).
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    After reading olaloki's rant post, she may come here and chew my *kitten* for posting this but neener neener, I'm going to anyway lol. I tried this apparently back in April of 2011 according to when it says I joined. I thought it was more recent than that but I guess not. Anyway, I'm not gonna lie...I only did this for a week and got discouraged because I only lost 1 lb. the first week. I have always lost 2 lbs. per week on WW so I'm sure I got off of here and back on WW to obviously not stick with it. That was my reason for the post about how this was in comparison to WW. I guess I could get off my *kitten* and figure out my points vs. my calories and see how they compare. I'm okay with losing slowly...2lbs. per week is slow but I want to lose at least that per week. I'm just worried that 1200 calories per day may be too many.

take a large glass and fill it up with water. stand on the scale holding that glass. now put down the glass and stand on the scale again. did you see the number on the scale change? do you understand the subtle point i'm trying to make?

do not weigh yourself daily. if you weigh yourself weekly, understand that your weight fluctuates due to metabolic processes occurring in your body. those weekly numbers mean NOTHING when seen by themselves. they only mean something over a long period of time. your scale is a long term trend tool, that's all.

you need to understand this fact. the number on the scale from week to week really doesn't matter at all unless you understand it in context.