Which is accurate HRM Or Treadmills monitor?

Options
I have use HRM with Chest strap today for first time, all setting are correct. age, weight and height

So went on the Treadmills this morning on Incline of 27% out of 30% and walking speed 6.0, time for 30min set in manual in Age , Weight. after the 30min are up Treadmills saying i burned 680 calories but HeartRateMonitor saying 390 which one do i believe is right?

Nick

Replies

• lre224
    lre224 Posts: 83
    Options
    I would go by Your HRM. That's what I do.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    6.0 km/h? Then the HRM is a much more reasonable estimate.
  • particleastro
    particleastro Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    HRM is good for measuring heart rate, that's about it. Dont rely on it to tell you how many calories you've burnt.

When you see pro athletes with heart rate monitors on you should know that they have had extensive gym time logging their power output, energy efficiency, muscle activation etc and they know what a certain heart rate relates to in terms of energy usage.

Off the shelf stuff is pretty much useless for anything other than heart rate and blood pressure. Which admittedly are very useful numbers to know.

Good luck,
    JU
  • nicknoyes85
    Options
    Ok thanks for reply
  • notthatthis
    Options
    checkout shapesense.com and their heart rate to calorie burned calculator. If any of the machines you use have a Fit Test function use that for estimating VO2 MAX or do a VO2 MAX test.

That said, what was your average heart rate according to your HRM and what was the maximum heart rate you achieved?
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    HRM is good for measuring heart rate, that's about it. Dont rely on it to tell you how many calories you've burnt.

When you see pro athletes with heart rate monitors on you should know that they have had extensive gym time logging their power output, energy efficiency, muscle activation etc and they know what a certain heart rate relates to in terms of energy usage.

Off the shelf stuff is pretty much useless for anything other than heart rate and blood pressure. Which admittedly are very useful numbers to know.

Good luck,
    JU

Studies have also shown that it is possible to estimate energy expenditure from heart rate using multivariate predictive equations derived from group data in adults “Strath , 2000; Hiilloskorpi, 2003; Dugas , 2005; Keytel , 2005)”

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15966347
    The correlation coefficient (r) between the measured and estimated energy expenditure was 0.913. The model therefore accounted for 83.3% (R2) of the variance in energy expenditure in this sample. Because a measure of fitness, such as VO2max, is not always available, a model without VO2max included was also fitted. The correlation coefficient between the measured energy expenditure and estimates from the mixed model without VO2max was 0.857. It follows that the model without a fitness measure accounted for 73.4% of the variance in energy expenditure in this sample. Based on these results, we conclude that it is possible to estimate physical activity energy expenditure from heart rate in a group of individuals with a great deal of accuracy, after adjusting for age, gender, body mass and fitness.

A Novel Energy Expenditure Prediction Equation for Intermittent Physical Activity
    In this study the difference between a Vo2 max R1 and measuring the resting/sitting heart rate R2 and calculating from that, is the difference between 82% Accuracy R1 and 78% accuracy R2 so that is only 4% more accurate with a Vo2max calibration

In fact nearly all the studies I’ve found on-line have come to the same conclusion, using HRM for EE is accurate enough for most aerobic activities for Most of the Adult population
  • RJAgeo
    RJAgeo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I always use my hrm. Also, this is a common topic on these posts; if you do a search, you'll find a great deal of opinions and references on the subject.
  • nicknoyes85
    Options
    checkout shapesense.com and their heart rate to calorie burned calculator. If any of the machines you use have a Fit Test function use that for estimating VO2 MAX or do a VO2 MAX test.

That said, what was your average heart rate according to your HRM and what was the maximum heart rate you achieved?

My HRM watch and strap is called Crivit Sport here the info on the link,
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lidl-running-essentials-including-crivit-sports-heart-rate-monitor-14-99-lidl-905489

Hi:162 Lo:68 Av:117
  • notthatthis
    Options
    [/quote]

My HRM watch and strap is called Crivit Sport here the info on the link,
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lidl-running-essentials-including-crivit-sports-heart-rate-monitor-14-99-lidl-905489

Hi:162 Lo:68 Av:117
    [/quote]

Asked out of interest on average, I am 20 years older and my average is 139 for 30 minutes and peaks at 162 (or that is my peak)

On this occassion the HRM is the accurate measure, the machine is way off. Try to not worry about inclines or speed but effort, perhaps try an elliptical and get your heart rate to a working rate of 144 and see the difference between the machine estimate and your HRM.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I have been using my HRM to track my calories burned when doing Insanity and I feel it's as accurate as it can be. If I push myself harder and go out of my "zone" then I burn more calories. If my HR is on the lower side then I don't burn as many calories. That seems to show me that it's fairly accurate.
  • nicknoyes85
    Options
    just quick question can use my heart rate monitor to measure the calories burned during lifting weights. Will this work, or only for cardio?
  • notthatthis
    Options
    I only ever count calorie burn when lifting weights if I have had an average of at least 118 bpm during the 40-50 minute weight session. When doing heavy weight and low reps with adequate rest then my heart rate will never average 118bpm, it will peak at 150-160 though. So, yes you can but only by basing it on an equivalent cardio burn not as a weight lifting burn. There is a very long answer as to the reason why, but best let you learn to use the HRM and get a great aerobic burn before studying anaerobic calories, glycogen storage and ATP in Type II a and b muscle fibres.

BTW at 27 your minimum cardio (fat burn zone) is comfortably an average of 125 bpm upto 136 bpm. So, if you do count weight training then the average should be at least 125 bpm.