When does fat loss actually start?

Options
Sorry for the dumb question but I know we lose water weight first. I get that. But when does the actual fat loss start? 2nd week? 2nd month? Anyone know?

Thanks!

Replies

• cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    No one can really give you a definitive answer on that because it varies from individual to individual. Maybe the best answer that I can think of is that as SOON as you start eating at a consistent deficit of calories, your body begins to adjust and prioritize differently than it did at maintenance or a surplus and then you start losing fat. From what I have read, this starts to happen in as little as three consistent days for most people.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    No one can really give you a definitive answer on that because it varies from individual to individual. Maybe the best answer that I can think of is that as SOON as you start eating at a consistent deficit of calories, your body begins to adjust and prioritize differently than it did at maintenance or a surplus and then you start losing fat. From what I have read, this starts to happen in as little as three consistent days for most people.

Ok, thanks. Makes sense to me.
  • airangel55
    airangel55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Loved your answer. I too struggle with the fat vs water weight loss. I also look at inches loss as a measure of fat loss, though that can just be toning.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Loved your answer. I too struggle with the fat vs water weight loss. I also look at inches loss as a measure of fat loss, though that can just be toning.
    Good point. When fat loss starts can be really deceiving if you are just looking at the scale to measure it. It can be masked by many factors like water retention due to muscles healing, etc. It really doesn't matter how often you weight, unless you freak out over daily fluctuations. Just monitor the scale over time and you will see a definite downward trend over time as long as you are consistent. Just as important, measure and keep track of things like strength gains, or energy levels.
    I have had periods of time where I have lost neither weight nor inches, but I KNOW I was losing fat. It is impossible to measure inches everywhere on your body, so if you are just measuring your stomach, for example and are losing fat in your back or thighs, it would be easy to get discouraged.
    But do the right things consistently and it WILL pay off. Remember that if there comes a time when you second-guess yourself.
  • Vaisaxena
    Vaisaxena Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the dumb question but I know we lose water weight first. I get that. But when does the actual fat loss start? 2nd week? 2nd month? Anyone know?

Thanks!

That is incorrect. Fat loss starts as soon as your body is in a deficit of calories. So - usually the day you start dieting.

Even so, you body is constantly in a state of turnover - it is constantly burning fat, but it is also storing fat... yes, all the time. When you reduce calories - you just shift more towards the burning of fat instead of storing it.

Water is not lost "first" - water goes with fat... but water also goes with the loss of muscle (which is bad, btw). Water is also lost when you reduce carbohydrate intake and increase protein intake - this is not considered "fat loss" it is considered "weight loss".

Real fat loss can only be measured by body-fat measurements.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Thanks!

That is incorrect. Fat loss starts as soon as your body is in a deficit of calories. So - usually the day you start dieting.

Even so, you body is constantly in a state of turnover - it is constantly burning fat, but it is also storing fat... yes, all the time. When you reduce calories - you just shift more towards the burning of fat instead of storing it.

Water is not lost "first" - water goes with fat... but water also goes with the loss of muscle (which is bad, btw). Water is also lost when you reduce carbohydrate intake and increase protein intake - this is not considered "fat loss" it is considered "weight loss".

How is her question in correct?
  • Vaisaxena
    Vaisaxena Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Thanks!

How is her question in correct?

Was referring to the "water" part.