Need Veggie Help

Options
I absolutely hate vegetables but know I really need to eat them.....any suggestions on making them more appealing? I do eat lettuce, tomatoes and spinach but thats about it. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Replies

• AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    Find soup recipes with lots of veggies in them!
  • ileitch
    ileitch Posts: 99
    Options
    I get stir fried veggies at a Chinese restaurant or at Safeway.
  • emilymorene
    emilymorene Posts: 56
    Options
    Make a lasagna but instead of using the noodles use thin slices of zucchni. You can also puree vegetables and add them in while you are cooking. This is a great way to also get kids to eat them because you can't taste them in the food!
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    i personally don't know how anyone can say they don't like vegetables. there's such a HUGE variety of vegetables, and they ALL taste totally different. also, there's a huge variety of ways to prepare vegetables which also create different tastes. just experiment with recipes until you find some to your liking. take a chance and try something new. i would start with searching for recipes of the kind of food you like the most: mexican, asian, italian?? they all require different types of seasonings that you may prefer more over others. other things to consider are if you want to prepare a hot dish or a cold one, and if you want just one vegetable in the dish or a salad or medley type dish. there's so many options to explore out there. good luck! i'm sure you'll find something you like.
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know how you can hate most veggies...maybe you just haven't explored enough because there's so many types out there. However, if this is truly the case, perhaps you can work at hiding them within your meals. As someone mentioned before, you can puree them and add them to recipes. There are specific cookbooks out there to do this, many intended for feeding youngsters. The one by Jessica Seinfeld and another one by an author that actually tried to sue her...can't remember the book or name. Also, you need to think about what kinds of foods you like: Italian, Mexican, Chinese, etc, etc, and find ways to incorporate veggies in. Various spices, garlic and onions (in powder form if you prefer), or cooked in extra virgin olive oil can make all the difference. Another way to add flavor is to simmer your veggies in low fat chicken stock. You might just have to experiment to figure out what you like. Good luck!
  • paulaswrld
    paulaswrld Posts: 49
    Options
    One of my favorite lunch accompaniments is a whole cucumber sliced and peeled, dipped in Joseph's Red Pepper Hummus. Yummmm

How about steaming some vegetables? Reynolds makes some steamer bags. Fill it up with some sprouts, water chestnuts, broccoli, carrots, and whatever else. Microwave for a few minutes and voila. Add a little sweet and sour sauce if you like,but I prefer them plain.
  • concrete_angel
    Options
    Make a lasagna but instead of using the noodles use thin slices of zucchni. You can also puree vegetables and add them in while you are cooking. This is a great way to also get kids to eat them because you can't taste them in the food!

Google cookbooks on hiding vegetables... Me being a nanny and having to hide veggies for the childern..
    My favorites is "Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food" By Jessica Seinfeld. She is the wife of Jerry Seinfeld, with whom she has three children.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Try grilling them!
    I do green and yellow squash, green onions, asparagus, mushrooms, tomatoes - slice the squash, toss with some olive oil, some italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt & pepper, put them on skewers if you want, i put them right on the grill. Make sure that you don't over cook them. (that goes with how ever you cook your veggies. They suck when they are mushy!)
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    We love vegetables around here.
    Peppers, carrots, cucumbers, celery, tomatoes, zucchini, fresh spinach, kale, parsley arugula, dandelion greens and all kinds of lettuces and cabbages go raw in salads with some olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
    broccoli, green beans, wax beans, cauliflower, lightly steamed with a pat of butter and sea salt.
    Sugar snap peas, just steamed. They are so delicious they don't even need any butter or salt.
    Roasted or grilled zucchini, eggplant, asparagus roasted peppers.
    Collard leaves steamed and stuffed with some brown rice and grated carrots
    brussel sprouts steamed, sauteed, stirfried
    peas just sauteed in a little bit of olive or butter with a little bit of sea salt.
    Then there's soups, stews and casseroles that you can load with vegetables.
    replace half of your mashed potatoes with steamed cauliflower. Just mash it up as you would potatoes. Grate some carrots and zucchini and add some peas to rice dishes.
    Make a smoothie out of banana, strawberries and handfull of spinach.
    Everytime you make a pasta or risce dish grate some vegetables inside. Grate some zucchini and carrots in your pancakes and muffins.
    Vegetables are amazing. You can do so much with them.
    Grab a bowl of grape tomatoes and eat them up while you are driving to work or preparing dinner at night. Cut up some celery sticks and stuff them with peanut butter and add a few raisins.
    learn to love vegetables and your body with love you for it :)
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    You are not alone!! I hate veggies too... its the texture.. I hate the crunch of them.. also the taste

I'll eat corn and potatoes which are both starch
    and cucumbers

Hopefully this thread will help me
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    check my blog for some great recipes! i'm a veggie hater also, so i know exactly what you mean! it's so hard to get nutritious recipes when most of the ingredients are ghastly and unappealing!
  • bekah1301
    bekah1301 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I really like boiling vegetables in stock, it gives them a bit of extra flavour. (I also then really like using that water with couscous so that none of the veg juice is lost! Plus makes the couscous yummy).
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options

Google cookbooks on hiding vegetables... Me being a nanny and having to hide veggies for the childern..
    My favorites is "Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food" By Jessica Seinfeld. She is the wife of Jerry Seinfeld, with whom she has three children.

love the brownies from her book, I use it all the time!
  • healthycat31
    Options
    Casserole dishes

Thrown them in pasta sauces & soups

Stuff them with rice and/or other veggies

Grilled sandwiches