700 calories burned without a workout?

Options
I wear a Fitbit pretty much 24/7 (excluding today because it fell off somewhere in my house last night, and I haven't been able to find it). I'm pretty new to MFP, and I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of tracking and balancing my calorie burn with my caloric intake.

I work as a preschool teacher in a class of two-year-olds, so I put down that I am "lightly active." However, between work and going out to the grocery store yesterday, I earned close to 700 exercise calories. And that was WITHOUT going to the gym, etc.

I love the idea of earning extra calories doing every day activities, but this seems a little bit excessive. I am almost afraid to dip into my exercise calories now, but at the same time, I'm afraid NOT to dip in.

For the record, I have it set to lose 1 pound per week because I figure it gives me the flexibility to eat my exercise calories and lose 1 pound, or leave 500 per day and lose 2 pounds, etc. Plus, I do a lot better with a slightly higher calorie allowance.

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    If you set it as lightly active that already includes some walking around. Set it as sedentary if you want to include your fit bit calories. Even then, maybe take like 100 calories off because sedentary includes some daily activity.
  • Happyme2009
    Happyme2009 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    So how do you know you gained 700 cals?
  • honeylissabee
    honeylissabee Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Because I synced my Fitbit with MFP and MFP said I earned 677 exercise calories based on my measured Fitbit activity.
  • honeylissabee
    Options
    If you set it as lightly active that already includes some walking around. Set it as sedentary if you want to include your fit bit calories. Even then, maybe take like 100 calories off because sedentary includes some daily activity.

I know lightly active includes some walking around, but it seems insane that my everyday activities are burning close to 700 calories above what MFP estimates I burn based on being "lightly active"
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    If you are using a fitbit you need to set your MFP to "sedentary".
  • Arianwyn_T
    Options

There's no need to do that if you've set up your FitBit to synch with MFP as an adjustment is made that subtracts what MFP expected you to burn from the FitBit data -- you can even adjust a setting so that if you're less active than MFP expected it will reduce the number of calories you are allotted, but the default is to have that switched off.

Unless you are entering FitBit data manually for some reason do NOT mess with your calories.

Chances are you just spend more time chasing around after little ones than you thought you did :)
  • Arianwyn_T
    Options
    If you are using a fitbit you need to set your MFP to "sedentary".

No you don't, if you've got it set up to synch then MFP does the adjustments for you, subtracting what MFP expects you to burn from the fitbit totals before adding in the "adjustment"
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'll mention that if you watch responses for a while, you'll find that most people that wear it are shocked that their sedentary desk job for 40 hrs and 1 hr commuting everyday, on days with no exercise, ends up being Lightly Active at 1.35 multiplier.

If this is what you are getting with normal day, indeed you may have room to move the activity level up a bit so you don't get the big adjustments, and can plan the day out better.
    Then when exercise is really done, not so hard to eat even more back.

The BMR multipliers for their levels are:
    Sed - 1.25
    Lightly Active - 1.35
    Active - 1.45
    Very Active - 1.55

So whatever you find the FitBit total daily burn being on avg for non-exercise days, divide that by your MFP BMR (Apps - BMR Calculator), and there's your multiplier.

So if you find FitBit saying your TDEE is 2030 calories, and your BMR is 1400, 2030 / 1400 = 1.45. So select Active level.
    MFP will set goal to 1530 daily then, and you'll only get adjustments if your TDEE is going over 2030.

Set MFP to that, keep your 1 lb loss goal, and go to town.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    I'll mention that if you watch responses for a while, you'll find that most people that wear it are shocked that their sedentary desk job for 40 hrs and 1 hr commuting everyday, on days with no exercise, ends up being Lightly Active at 1.35 multiplier.

If this is what you are getting with normal day, indeed you may have room to move the activity level up a bit so you don't get the big adjustments, and can plan the day out better.
    Then when exercise is really done, not so hard to eat even more back.

The BMR multipliers for their levels are:
    Sed - 1.25
    Lightly Active - 1.35
    Active - 1.45
    Very Active - 1.55

So whatever you find the FitBit total daily burn being on avg for non-exercise days, divide that by your MFP BMR (Apps - BMR Calculator), and there's your multiplier.

So if you find FitBit saying your TDEE is 2030 calories, and your BMR is 1400, 2030 / 1400 = 1.45. So select Active level.
    MFP will set goal to 1530 daily then, and you'll only get adjustments if your TDEE is going over 2030.

Set MFP to that, keep your 1 lb loss goal, and go to town.
    ^this.
    i was kinda surprised when i got my bodymedia fit. i had set my activity level as lightly active, and it turns out im "active" on my normal days without exercise...very active on days i get a small (half hour on the treadmill) workout in
  • MissKrisstah
    Options
    i had a fitbit and sent it back for this very reason.
    you drive yourself crazy trying to grasp at calories from anything.

i came back and made it simple... MFP gives me a number, i eat that number, if i go to the gym then i log it, if i dont, i dont.
  • kodom_123
    kodom_123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    So long as you have both MFP and Fitbit set to the same activity level you are good to go.
    I sub at a preK and I know when I work I get a pretty good adjustment and on days I go to the grocery store I earn at least 3 or 400 cals just from walking aorund getting groceries! (Mine is set to sedentary on both though so I get extra cals for anything over regular activity)
  • levicrouch
    Options
    The suggestions so far seem to have already indicated this concept; In simpler terms, exercise should be defined as any activity that is done above and beyond your daily activity.

Full disclosure I don't use FitBit or utilize MFP recommended calorie intake. Through my weight management class we used a formula.

Multiplier:
    Women: 10
    Men: 11
    PA = Physical Activity
    (Maintenance weight x multiplier) + (Calories PA) = total daily calories

For a man to maintain 200 calories while burning 300 calories a day, the formula would be:
    (200 x 11) + 300 = 2500

If that same man wanted to lose about ~1 lb a week , he would need to deficit 500 calories a day for a net of 2000 calories/day.
  • PollyWolly98
    Options
    I do not know if this is the correct thing to do or not, as I have been struggling to lose these few lbs. I got a Fitbit for Christmas and it has been consistently telling me that I burn around 2000 calories a day. I am 5'2" and was a bit surprised by this number. I had my calories set at 1330 based upon various calculators. Anyways, Fitbit was giving me 200+ calories per day and I didn't believe it. I played with the calculators and basically determined that my activity level on MFP was too low. When I upped it to the appropriate level, now I have to make sure I get those steps I and I will only get 20-70 calorie adjustment maximum per day. Seems to be more correct to me. I have been doing this for over a month, but do not weigh in regularly so I can't guarantee it will work for you.
  • honeylissabee
    Options
    I thought setting it to sedentary didn't make any sense. I knew that MFP would take the difference between their calculations and Fitbit as the calorie adjustment- it just surprised me that even though MFP lists being a "teacher" as being "lightly active" I am burning well beyond the "lightly active" point according to Fitbit.

Fortunately, this week I'm just getting used to the sites, so I'm switching things up. I decided to put that I'm active today, and I'll see how that works out for me.

I am planning on going to the gym a few times a week, but I also like to sneak in workouts wherever possible by doing little things like parking far away from the door, walking around a little on my lunch break, and I suppose it adds up over the course of the day.

I'm debating using negative calorie adjustments though. That way, on the weekends when I'm a lazy bum, I am not eating 1800 calories. However, I also get nervous about pre-tracking my meals the night before and realizing that I didn't get my expected burn because I was in a less active class, etc.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    If you look at your Home page, and Goals. Right hand side is what MFP thnks you will nurn through daily activities, excluding exercise.

That is what your FItbit adjustments are based on.

When I first started using mine, I was set at sedentary on MFP and it thinks I burn around 1600 calories.
    My FB was regularly adding callories on as I was burning more than that, so I swicthed MFP to lightly active and now they are similar.

I think MFP's sedentary is more like bed-bound, and if you do a little walking through your day, even if it's only walking to the station/bus-stop/round teh shops, you will burn more than the MFP sedentary figures.
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options

I think MFP's sedentary is more like bed-bound, and if you do a little walking through your day, even if it's only walking to the station/bus-stop/round teh shops, you will burn more than the MFP sedentary figures.

I have mine set to sedentary, and I will agree, I get a Fitbit adjustment pretty much every day. I do have a pretty sedentary desk job (unless I purposely get up and move), but my car is not parked close, so I have a 10-15 minute walk each day to and from my car.

I like getting the adjustment each day --- I consider it my reward for making an extra effort to move more, so I keep everything set at sedentary.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to quickly add that if you are doing the 'TDEE -%' method then don't eat back your added Fitbit calories :smile:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to sedentary, and I will agree, I get a Fitbit adjustment pretty much every day. I do have a pretty sedentary desk job (unless I purposely get up and move), but my car is not parked close, so I have a 10-15 minute walk each day to and from my car.

Very true.

And think about this - MFP is doing 1.25 BMR multiplier, the other TDEE level tables do 1.20 for Sedentary.

Which means if you select sedentary on those and then take 20% off, you end up less than what you started with.

At least the MFP level includes about the following if you really split it up.

Weekly time - 40 hr work week sitting, 56 hr sleeping, 65 hr sitting/standing, 7 hr slow walking activity
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

I know lightly active includes some walking around, but it seems insane that my everyday activities are burning close to 700 calories above what MFP estimates I burn based on being "lightly active"

Do you have the FitBit set to the correct activity level as well? Not just on MFP.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

I disagree with that. If I don't do an actual workout, my FitBit routinely tells me to eat about 1000 calories to maintain a 500 calorie deficit (I'm at sedentary on both MFP and FB). I have to have over 5000 steps before I 'break even' with my FB. I turned the negative adjustments off on MFP because of it.