Eating light during the week and heavy on the weekend?

Options
I have added in more workouts during the week which has caused me to be a bit under my my caloric intake during the week. I'm relatively new to this, so I am wondering if I can eat more over the weekend (which I'd prefer) to make up for being low on my calories during the week. Does anybody know if it is bad to do this?

Replies

• YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Sure, as long as it balances out at the end
  • MimiCro
    MimiCro Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Go ahead, but dont overdue it too much...
    are you looking to bulk up, or lose weight?
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Every body works differently, but I personally have a hard time with eating more just on weekends because I gain back the weight that I've lost and end up using the following week to drop back down to that initial level that I was at on the previous Friday. If you're going to eat more on weekends, make sure it's not too much more than on normal days during the week. It would help to talk to a nutritionist about this, though, seeing as they're a bit more knowledgeable about these sorts of things.
  • Winks0118
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.
    Go ahead, but dont overdue it too much...
    are you looking to bulk up, or lose weight?

I'm looking to lose some weight, but mainly build up my endurance. I'm hoping to be able to complete a 10 - 12 mile mud run in October
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I do the same, I eat 1400-1800 calories Monday-Friday, exercise, 50 minutes cardio, then weights. Then on Saturday and Sunday I eat up to 2,500 calories with no exercise. I seem to be losing 1-2 pounds a week so far like this.
  • Winks0118
    Options
    I do the same, I eat 1400-1800 calories Monday-Friday, exercise, 50 minutes cardio, then weights. Then on Saturday and Sunday I eat up to 2,500 calories with no exercise. I seem to be losing 1-2 pounds a week so far like this.

That's great, I was hoping to hear some results like that. Hopefully my body will react the same way when I do it.
  • devan44
    devan44 Posts: 130
    Options
    I've been doing the same thing, for the most part. I dont use the weekends to go overboard or anything but I do like a few beers on the weekend. I usually go over my calories Sat or Sun but I'm still under for the week. I have learned not to weigh myself weekly though while doing this cause of water weight (I guess that's what it is) but I weigh myself every 2 weeks or so. I've lost 8lbs since Jan 3.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Thats what I do
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I usually have a splurge meal or a splurge day on the weekends and Sunday is my rest day. Sometimes I go up a little but I think it's bc my splurge foods are usually high in sodium. I think the trick though, is working out on Saturday morning. I haven't been doing that recently, but it works when I did it before. I hear that as long as your weekly average is with your goal, you're okay. :-)
  • ivyana25
    Options
    That is called the zig zag method... The theory behind this method is that it is good because it keeps the body guessing... If ur on a diet limiting itself for too many days in a row your body will think it is in starvation mode and try to prevent u from loosing weight. I eat very healthy Monday through Friday and on Saturday and Sunday I eat 1 restaurant meal each day
    ... I haven't ate any fast food since I started in Jan 1 st and it has been working for me.. O and on Sunday night I eat Papaya for dinner... By Monday morning im back on track... I've been loosing 1 lbs a week which is good for me cause I don't have that much to lose...
  • skyblu263
    skyblu263 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    This is part of the article that I just read yesterday. Because, I honestly would rather eat more on weekends as well:

"Scenario #1: On your cheat day, you indulge in a few extra sweets or treats and take in 2,500 calories total. This brings your daily average to 1,514, which is still within your weight-loss calorie range. Therefore, you should still lose weight for the week.

Scenario #2: On your cheat day you eat anything and everything you've been craving: a fast food value meal, potato chips, a milkshake and some buttery popcorn. You take in 4,000 calories. This brings your daily average to 1,729, which is over your weight-loss calorie range. Therefore, you will probably maintain your current weight for the week."

The article went on the say to not call your high calorie days "Cheat Days."
    Here is the complete article if you are interested :) GREAT READ!!!
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1753